List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Benefits of Making Your Own Homemade Baby Food
Making your own homemade baby food will ensure that what your child is eating is fresh, nutritious and free of additives. By making your own baby food, you'll be saving money. Also, you will have total control over what is put into your baby's food. You can therefore take the extra steps to ensure that only high quality foods are selected and used. You will be able to feed your baby according to his or her needs because you will know what foods are best suited for your baby from experience.
Making your own baby food also ensures that your baby is exposed to a greater variety of tastes and textures. This will help your baby when making the transition to table foods and also help him or her develop healthy eating habits. See http://www.baby-shop.org.uk/guide/ for a collection of articles on babies and toddlers.
Baby Food Preparation Tips
1. As babies are susceptible to digestive upsets, always work with clean hands and use clean cooking utensils, preparation surfaces, pots and pans etc., when making home made baby food. Prepare foods immediately upon removing them from the refrigerator and freeze immediately after cooking any foods you want to store.
2. Steaming vegetables is the best method of preparation. This softens them, makes them easier to chew, and preserves more of the vitamins and minerals than boiling. A steamer basket is cheap and by cooking fruits and vegetables in it, you'll be sure of keeping the nutrients in the food, instead of in the cooking water.
3. To puree your foods, you can use a fork, a food mill or blender. A blender quickly purees almost anything into the finest consistency. When your baby first starts on solids, you'll be pureeing things to a very fine consistency and, as baby gets a little older, you will make foods a little coarser. You may wish to buy a food mill which comes in large and small sizes. It is very handy and inexpensive. The food mill strains most cooked foods to a very smooth consistency, although meats can be a problem as they will have a coarser texture. Remember all the tools you need to make baby food are probably already in your kitchen.
4. You can prepare large amounts of foods at once and freeze them. Take your prepared foods and plop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Freeze the plops right away and then take them off the sheet when they are frozen and put them into plastic bags. You can also freeze the food in plastic "pop out" ice cube trays. Small tupperware jars with lids serve the same purpose and stack easily. Label and date the packages rotate them putting the most recently frozen foods behind the previously frozen ones. Frozen baby foods can be stored for up to two months.
5. When you take frozen foods out for baby, warm the food in a cup placed in a saucepan of boiling water with a lid on. If you use a microwave to thaw or warm baby food, be sure to stir the food well to avoid hot pockets.
6. Cereals are typically the first foods given to a baby because they contain lots of iron. You can prepare your own, by running oatmeal through your blender. Fruits are generally given next. Except for raw, mashed banana, you will need to cook all other fruits till they are soft.
7. Try making your own apple sauce and pear sauce; don't add any sugar, as these fruits are sweet enough on their own. You can also peel peaches, plums and apricots and boil or steam them.
8. Buy and use organic fruits and vegetables. Use fresh and organic vegetables whenever possible in order to provide the best nutrition and flavor for your baby. Your baby deserves pesticide-free foods. Frozen vegetables are better to use than canned.
9. Yogurt, mashed cottage cheese, mashed pumpkin, baked potato, avocado and tofu (oriental soy bean curd) are all popular with babies. One good idea is to blend together cottage cheese, banana and fresh orange juice - delicious!
10. Meats should be added slowly. They can be boiled or broiled, then put in the blender with a little milk and perhaps banana or cream of rice to get the right consistency. Chicken is generally the first meat baby is introduced to and usually goes down fairly well.
11. There is no rush to start your baby on solid foods. Milk is his most important food. Your doctor's recommendations and your own intuition will help you to know when to begin introducing solids to your baby's diet. Introducing solids prepares the baby for the transition to adult food and offers further vitamins and minerals as the baby grows. Always remember to be patient with your baby and allow at least a few days between newly added foods to make sure the baby doesn't suffer any reactions.
Copyright © 2005, Bridget Mwape writes for the Baby Shop UK: http://www.baby-shop.org.uk/ which features baby information including articles and discounts on baby products, gifts and advice from other parents.
This article may be republished as long as all the above links are active and clickable and this author box (byline) is not edited.
A Special Formula for Baby!
Choosing to breastfeed the baby is one of the most important decisions a mother can make. Usually that decision was made even before the baby was conceived.
Are You Spending Too Much Money on Baby Gear?
Did you waste $57 today? I hope not. Unfortunately, so many new parents pay much more than they have to for baby products, because they don't know the secrets the insiders know.
The Personality Traits of a Leo Baby
Your Leo Baby..
When Should Your Baby Wear Shoes?
There is actually a bit of controversy about this question. Some pediatricians recommend that your baby not wear shoes until at least 15 months of age.
Beyond Flash Card : How To Do The Infant Visual Stimulation In Fun And Creative Ways
Babies learn about the environment surrounding them through five senses: vision, hearing, touching, smelling and tasting. Of those five senses, vision is the least developed sense a baby has at birth.
How to Make a Diaper Cake
Hosting a baby shower or looking for a great gift for a new mom? A diaper cake makes a fantastic centerpiece for any baby shower and is also a very nice gift that the new mom will find useful. Here are the basics on how to make your own diaper cake:1) First, you must decide how big you want the diaper cake.
Baby Product Recall
Products are recalled all the time for posing a danger to the people who use them. Even large, established companies have to make massive recalls, and when this happens we all notice.
Baby Development - But What Role do Parents Play?
It is truly amazing the development that a baby experiences in the first year of life. Every week seems to bring another milestone for parents as well as baby! The primary way a baby learns is through play and baby games, it is how they start to make sense of their world.
Stem Cells Taken From A Babys Cord
Baby Shower for Mom and the Ladies
Baby Shower for Moms who just wanna have fun! This type of baby shower is not the only type of shower given today. Traditionally, baby showers have been thrown for mommy-to-be and the guest list was strictly women.
Baby Furniture Buyers Guide
Communication between the guests would be wise to prevent any duplicate gifts. The guests could also choose to get together on something more expensive such as a piece of nursery furniture.
When To Start Teaching Your Baby (1)
When is it that I should start teaching my baby? That is a question that may come to mind for many first time parents; other parents may never consider the question at all, and just leave things to evolve naturally.In a way, that is an unnecessary question as, whether you like it or not and whether you mean to or not, you begin teaching your baby while it is still in the womb, and then continue through its early years, teenage years, and even into adulthood.
Keeping Your New Baby Safe
After all the baby furniture is purchased, you'll have to start thinking of baby safety supplies. Once your baby becomes mobile (and that's in a few short months), battening down the hatches is extremely important.
How to Have the Perfect Baby Boy Invitations
Baby boy invitations are the first thing you'll need to share the good news of the new arrival with all your friends. It's time to celebrate and baby showers are the perfect way to express love and thoughtfulness to the mother and baby to be.
Choose The Perfect Baby Shower Gift
The first thing you should do when trying to choose the perfect baby shower gift is consider the parents. Quite frankly, babies do not have the awareness or the ability to complain when you buy them weird stuff.
Moses Baby Baskets
Moses Baby Baskets are a traditional, convenient place for babies especially for one who cannot sit up or cannot push itself up on its hands and knees. Modern moses baby baskets are distinct improvements over conventional ones.
How to Help Your Children Learn
We all want the very best for our children and that includes giving them the best possible start to their education. There is a great deal you, as a parent, can do to achieve this.
What Happens When During the Baby Shower?
To be precise, anything can happen anytime as long as everyone enjoys it. There is no right way or wrong way-anything goes well.
Triumphing Over Tantrums
Before you had kids you probably witnessed an out of control child having a temper tantrum at the store. More than likely you thought or said, "If that was my child, I would ______".
10 Items of the Well-Stocked Diaper Bag
Does your diaper bag have everything you need in it? Of course, you have the basic items: diapers, wipes, bottles, etc. But are you equipped for any "baby situation" that could possibly arise? It may seem like a lot of gear, but if you bring along the following baby paraphernalia when you head out, you'll be ready for just about anything.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !