List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Popular Baby Names
Are you looking for cute baby names? This article explains the meaning and history of the 50 most popular baby names in the United States this year.
25 Most Popular Names for BOYS
1 (most popular). Jacob is a biblical name, which has its origins in the Hebrew language.
Jacob means 'supplanter' or 'one who grasps the heel;' this is because the biblical Jacob was born holding his twin brother's heel.
2. Michael is a biblical name, which means 'who is like God.' The bearer of this name in the bible is the leader of heaven's armies, and so is considered the patron saint of soldiers.
3. Joshua is from the Hebrew language, and means 'savior.' In the bible Joshua was chosen to lead the Isrealites as the successor to Moses.
4. Matthew is a biblical name, meaning 'given,' or 'reward.' Matthew was one of the 12 apostles, and wrote the first Gospel in the New Testament regarding the life of Jesus.
5. Andrew is a biblical name which means 'manly' and 'brave.' In the bible Andrew was the first apostle, and is the patron saint of Scotland and of Russia.
6. Joseph is a biblical name meaning 'addition,' or 'increase.'
7. Ethan is the name from the Old Testament. It means 'solid, strong,' and 'constancy, enduring.'
8. Daniel means 'God is my judge.' In the Old Testament Daniel was a prophet.
9. Christopher is a Latin name, and it means 'bearing Christ,' or 'he who holds Christ in his heart.' When Jesus was a child, Saint Christopher is believed to have carried him across a river.
10. Anthony is a Latin name which means 'flower,' from the Greek word anthos, or 'priceless.'
11. William has its origins in the German language, and means 'helmet, protection.' This is also the first name of Mr. Shakespeare.
12. Ryan is an Irish name in origin, which means 'little king
13. Nicholas is a Greek name which means 'the people's victory.' St. Nicholas, better known as Santa Claus, is the patron saint of children and merchants.
14. David is a Hebrew name meaning 'beloved,' or 'dear.' In the Old Testament David was the second king of Israel.
15. Tyler is derived from an Old English surname which was used to denote one's occupation as a 'tile layer.'
16. Alexander is derived from the Greek. It means 'defender of men.'
17. John is a biblical name; owned by John the Baptist and John the apostle. John means 'gracious,' or 'mercy of the Lord.'
18. James is a Hebrew name, and a derivative of the common name Jacob. James means 'to supplant.'
19. Dylan is a Welsh name and means 'sea,' or 'Son of the wave.'
20. Zachary is an English variant on the Hebrew name Zachariah, which means 'remembered by God.'
21. Brandon is an English name of a place, which meant 'hill covered with broom;' broom is a weed. Brandon is also a variant of the Irish name Brendan, which either means 'prince,' or 'stinking hair.'
22. Jonathan is a biblical name which means 'given of God.'
23. Samuel is a Hebrew name, held by a prophet in the Old Testament. It means 'God has heard.'
24. Christian meand 'follower of Christ,' and has origins in many languages and cultures.
25. Benjamin is a Hebrew name appearing in the Old Testament; it means 'son of the right hand.'
25 Most Popular Names for GIRLS
1. Emily has its origins in Latin, and means 'industrious' in French and German as well.
2. Emma has German and English origins, and means 'whole,' or 'universal' in both languages.
3. Madison is an English surname derived either from the name Matthew, meaning 'gift,' or is derived from the name Matilda, meaning 'strong fighter.'
4. Hannah is a Hebrew name which means 'gracious,' and 'merciful.'
5. Olivia is a derivative of the Latin word 'olive,' which is a symbol of peace.
6. Abigail is a Hebrew name meaning 'Father's joy.'
7. Alexis is from the Greek; it means 'helper,' or 'defender.'
8. Ashley is an English name that means 'she dwells in the ash tree grove.'
9. Elizabeth is a biblical name; the mother of John the Baptist in the New Testament. Elizabeth means 'oath of God.'
10. Samantha is a feminine form of the name Samuel. Samantha means 'listener.'
11. Isabella means 'devoted to God' in Hebrew. It is also supposed to be a Spanish variant on the name Elizabeth.
12. Sarah is the biblical wife of Abraham and mother Issac, the name Sarah means 'princess.'
13. Grace is an English name meaning 'God's favor.'
14. Alyssa, according to the Greek tradition, means rational.
15. Lauren means 'from the place of Laurel trees,' which in Greek culture are symbols of honor and victory.
16. Kayla means 'keeper of the keys,' or 'pure' in both English and Greek.
17. Brianna is from Celtic, meaning 'she who ascends,' or 'strong.'
18. Jessica has Shakespearean origins, first appearing in its modern form in the play 'The Merchant of Venice.'
19. Taylor was an English surname denoting the occupation of tailor.
20. Sophia is from the Greek, and means 'wise.'
21. Anna was used in the Native American Algonquin tribe to mean 'mother,' and also holds the meaning 'grace' in many languages, including Russian.
22. Victoria was the Roman goddess of victory, and the name consequently means 'victorious.'
23. Natalie is derived from the Latin, and means 'born at Christmas.'
24. Chloe means 'green shoot' in Greek. The name also appears in the bible.
25. Sydney means 'from Saint-Denis,' or 'wide-island.' The name has traceable origins in French and in English.
Monica Nelson writes articles that answer womens health questions such as what are common pregnancy symptoms, which pregnancy tests are more accurate, what are popular baby names which weightloss programs really work, and other topics of interest to women.
The experts often tell us that in order to ensure that our little ones are instilled with the correct knowledge so that they can learn to understand food and police there own diets, we have to be rigid and sustained in the healthy products we feed them. But what are the main rules when it comes to creating your child's diet? The following points were taken from the American Academy of Paediatrics and the UK NHS guidelines on childhood nutrition, and have been specifically chosen for their relevance to parents of fussy toddlers.
Backpacking With Children: My Own Adventures
When I had my firstborn I thought I new everything there was to know about raising children. I had read all the books, interviewed all my friends, come from a family full of 'wise' people? you get my meaning.
Under Carpet Heating In The Nursery - To Help Your Baby Sleep Through The Night And More!
As new parents, we all want what's best for our babies. There are so many things to worry about, not the least of which are colds, allergies, sleeping through the night, and keeping their delicate skin soft and moisturized.
Feng Shui Fertility: Six Ways to Create More Baby Chi
Today, feng shui is used for everything from arranging office cubicles to gaining more recognition at work to helping aspiring writers become more prolific. But what if what you want is a baby? When you are trying to conceive, feng shui can be another tool in your fertility arsenal.
Guide to Choosing Toddler Toys
The play has many more functions for toddlers than for adults. For toddlers, play is not just a way to relax but it is also the best way to learn and perfect skills like walking, balance and controlling the hands.
Creating Good Feng Shui in Babys Room
Getting ready for a new baby requires a lot of thought and planning from what diapers the baby will wear down to the decoration and arrangement of baby's room. Today's parents want to create a haven for their little one that will help the baby feel comforted and nurtured, as well as stimulated enough so that they thrive.
Baby Shower for Twins (Or More) Peas in a Pod
Baby shower for twins or multiples can be given when the mother-to-be is expecting twins or more. Having twins is twice as nice.
Baby Cribs - Safety Is Key
You have just learned that you are expecting a baby. Even if you have other children, you must take a look at cribs.
Baby Shower Decorations
When decoration for a baby shower, there are a few key aspects that should be considered:1) Will your baby shower adhere to a theme?Visit our baby shower theme for ideas about selecting a theme. If you are using a theme, then it is good to be consistent.
Honor Grandma with a Baby Shower for Grandma
Throwing a baby shower for grandma could be a great way to commemorate the excitement of becoming a grandmother for the first time. There's nothing like spoiling the little cuties for a day and then sending them home to their parents!But while you have them, you will need to be prepared for them.
Playing Baby Computer Games - The New Parent-Child Tradition?
Imagine cuddling up with your small child to look at a picture book together that is interactive, musical, responsive and talks to you?This is the experience that people are having who are engaged in that relatively new pastime - playing computer games with babies.JumpStart's Knowledge Adventure calls it "lapware", Kiddies Games' logo is "Hop on the lap and tap", and Sesame Street's "Baby and Me" opens with an animation of a baby monster hopping onto the lap of a Daddy monster to play the computer.
Colic Baby Bootcamp - Parent Survival Tips
Surviving a baby with colic truly deserves an award of some sort. The relentless screaming can really drive you to the edge.
How To Stop Toddlers From Biting
It is an unfortunate fact of life but, unfortunately, toddlers and biting frequently go together. It is a painful time for both the toddler and their parents and trying to stop the toddler from biting can be quite a challenge.
Baby Strollers - Frequently Asked Questions
Baby Strollers are one of the major purchases you will make for your baby. There are different types of strollers and in each category there are a variety of models.
Potty Training Guide
Toilet training (herein referred to as "potty training") is an exciting time for parents and children, as the child takes the next step to becoming a "big" girl or boy. While parents usually start this adventure filled with the anticipation of being able to cross "diapers" off the shopping list, their toddlers can make them wonder if this will ever happen.
Is It Colic, Infant Reflux, Or GERD? Learn How To Tell The Difference
It can sometimes be difficult for a parent to understand whether the baby has colic or reflux (and even GERD) since some of the symptoms (eg. poor sleep, constant crying) can be similiar.
Baby Monitor Technology - A Buyers Guide
What is a baby monitor & why do I need one?It might seem like an obvious question these days, but baby monitors are a relatively new innovation. At the most basic level they give the parent freedom from keeping a constant vigil at their baby's bedside (cot-side or Moses basket-side!).
Baby Shower Party Decorations to Liven up Your Baby Shower
An excellent source of information providing the perfect baby shower party decorations and baby shower themes. Decorations and themes that are focused and timesavers for the host.
My RAD Child
When I say RAD you may think of a child that is far beyond the normal. Well, mine is in a way.
Aargh those Pesky Sleep Problems!
It's 2am and your baby is up for the third time since 7pm. She's 2 months old and from all the books and magazines you've read SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE SLEEPING THROUGHT HE NIGHT!!!!! How long can this go on?!!! As difficult as this is it doesn't last forever.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !