List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
The Truth About Negative Commands (Dont Read This!)
Everyday when I read promotional emails and advertisements, or listen to television commercials and dialogue in shows and movies, or hear people around me in everyday life use commands such as the following examples, I feel dismayed for them.
This is because I understand something that many others do NOT!
And, since learning what I now understand, while I am BOMBARDED every day from all directions with commands like those listed below, in all their variations, I feel worse and worse for not speaking up!
I feel especially badly for all those advertisers out there who are ignorant about this, because I also realize they are often sincerely excited about what they are sharing and are working very hard to attract the attention of others.
- Don't miss this [fill in the blank]!
- Don't delay!
- Don't forget to be there!
- Don't forget to stop and buy milk [or pick up the dry cleaning -- fill in the blank]!
- Do not forget to be on time!
- You can't miss out on this opportunity!
- Don't be afraid to ASK!
- Would you like to [fill in the blank]? If so, don't wait another minute! Order Your [fill in the blank] NOW!
- Don't Live With Depression [fill in the blank]
And so on...
This is because your subconscious mind works in strange ways. I learned this while training to become a hypnotherapist.
FACT: Your subconscious mind cannot recognize a negative!
As a result, when a person reads or hears statements similar to the above, their subconscious mind actually understands the command as follows.
- Miss this [fill in the blank]!
- Forget to be there!
- Forget to stop and buy milk [or pick up the dry cleaning -- fill in the blank]!
- Forget to be on time!
- Miss out on this opportunity!
- Be afraid to ASK!
- Would you like to [fill in the blank]? If so, WAIT another minute! Order Your [fill in the blank] NOW! (In this case, you might think it's okay because the negative statement is followed by a positive request for action... but keep reading, you'll see how it can be improved!)
- Live With Depression [or, fill in the blank]
Whenever I have tried to explain this to those who use this type of command in their advertising or their everyday language, they ALWAYS say, "I'm trying to create a sense of URGENCY."
But research is absolute on this...
The subconscious mind CANNOT recognize a negative command.
And so, anytime you use a statement that includes a negative command, you are actually giving the OPPOSITE command for the action or results you desire!
This is also why using only positive language in personal growth affirmations and in hypnosis -- whether self-hypnosis or with a trained professional -- is crucial.
It's also important to avoid alternate forms of negative commands, such as the following examples:
- rather than...
- instead of...
Always use POSITIVE commands and suggestions!
I'll admit, it takes some creative thinking, and it's a learning process to overcome the overwhelming cultural training we have all been living with!
However, by becoming aware, I am gradually learning how to choose my words more carefully and achieving greater results!
- Instead of "Don't miss [fill in the blank]!" you can say "Take advantage of [fill in the blank]!" or "Get in on [fill in the blank]!"
- Instead of "Don't Delay!" you can say "Hurry!" or "Act Now!" or "Take Immediate Action!"
- Instead of "Don't forget to be there!" you can say "Be there!" or "Remember to be there!"
- Instead of "Don't forget to stop and buy milk [or pick up the dry cleaning -- fill in the blank]!" you can say "Remember to [fill in the blank] on your way!" or "Please buy [fill in the blank] before you get home!" or "Thanks in advance for [fill in the blank]!"
- Instead of "Do not forget to be on time!" you can say "Be there on time!" or "Remember to be there on time!" or "Be there at [time]-sharp!"
- Instead of "You can't miss out on this opportunity!" you can say "You must TAKE this opportunity!" or "TAKE this opportunity NOW!" or "This is a MUST-SEE (or MUST-DO) opportunity!"
- Instead of "Don't be afraid to ASK!" you can say "Feel free to ASK!" or "Please ASK any questions you have!" or "Freely ASK your questions!"
- Instead of "Would you like to [fill in the blank]? If so, don't wait another minute! Order Your [fill in the blank] NOW!" you can say "Would you like to [fill in the blank]? If so, ACT IMMEDIATELY! Order Your [fill in the blank] NOW!"
- Instead of "Don't Live With Depression [or fill in the blank]" you can say "Overcome Your Depression!" or "Live Free of Depression!" or even "Be Depression-Free!" and so on.
Get the idea?
Command, suggest, or inspire people to POSITIVE ACTION, and you will achieve far greater results!
And now, if you re-read my article headline, you can ALSO get an idea of how you can use this information to create some "reverse-psychology" results, as well!
Copyright Laurie Kristensen, 2005-Present. All rights reserved.
Laurie Kristensen owns and operates a successful audio transcription and typing business from home, visit http://www.LKTranscription.com (remember to subscribe to "Your Partner in Success Newsletter" and receive THREE valuable free gifts) -- also be sure to browse through Laurie's Success Resources at http://www.LKSuccess.com
You have permission to publish this article in its entirety, unchanged, electronically or in print as long as the byline, URL, and copyright are included.
How Cliffhanger Paragraphs Capture Readers
About 50 years ago, movie serials kept theater crowds coming back week after week. Each episode ended with a "cliffhanger," a suspenseful unresolved problem.
How To Become Qualified As A Proofreader
The field of proofreading is not as easy to get into as you might think. In fact, there are many proof reading qualifications that you must possess in order to qualify.
Website Advertising: 10 Tactics To Make Your Ad Copy More Impactful
If your ad is not generating a lot of sales, the reason may be because it is not effective.Here are secret website advertising tactics to make it more impactful and therefore generate more orders:1.
Copywriting Tricks: Nailing the Voice
Professional copywriters are well-familiar with what's commonly referred to as "the voice." What is this exactly, and why do you need to master it in your writing?If writing is icecream, then "the voice" is the flavor in your scoop.
Step One for Copywriters: Understand WHAT to Say
Find a passage of poorly written copy, and chances are you will have found a copywriter who never figured out what it was that he or she was trying to say. Whenever I have trouble with some copy, I stop, sit back and then write at the very top of the page.
Writing Benefit-Driven Web Copy - 4 Steps to More Sales
You've identified the benefits you offer your customers, but how do you turn a list of benefits into engaging web copy which converts visitors into customers?Recently I wrote an article explaining how to identify the benefits you offer your customers (http://www.divinewrite.
Five Sections of Your Copy Guaranteed To Get Read
Only about 20% of your copy is going to get read. The rest will simply be scanned.
How To Get Started With A Career In Copywriting
Careers in copywriting are booming. Could it be that the new and ever growing market on the Internet has helped to fuel this demand? You can bet your sweet keyword that it has! With so many businesses looking to the internet for their freelance copywriters the demand for employees keeps growing.
Top 10 Ways For Copywriters To Overcome Writers Block
We all know that words have the power to persuade, compel and most importantly, sell.However, many have likened the process to getting the 'right words' to trying to get blood from a stone.
Internet Marketing 102: Copy What Works
Internet Marketing- Forget the experts, latest software program or even that book that someone is selling to get on the "best seller list" and the 200 free ebooks they are offering you. Here is what REALLY works, and it's something that you learned in kindergarden.
10 Eye Popping, Jaw Dropping Ad Copy Secrets
1. Use a hand written letter on your ad copy instead of text.
3 Steps To Better Sales Copywriting
Whether you're wet-behind-the-ears or a seasoned copywriter, your craft will benefit by remembering one thing:You're nothing more than a salesperson.There's an old saying in the "business" that, "a copywriter is a salesperson sitting in front of a typewriter.
How To Write Headlines That Get Attention
No doubt, the headline is the most important part of any advertisement or sales letter. The reason is very simple.
How To Write Headlines That Grab Your Prospects Attention
It doesn't matter if you're writing an article, a newspaper or magazine ad, a web page, or even a Yellow Page ad. If it has a headline, that headline is the most important component of the entire package.
A Copywriting Lesson from Dr. Seuss
Looking for inspiration for your next marketing communication? Try the children's bookshelf.Dr.
No-Holds-Barred Conversation with Dan Lok - Part 1
Question: If you were starting out and had no references or a substantial resume, how would you go about finding paying customers for your services?To answer your question, I'll assume you're a junior copywriter or marketing consultant.When I first started out and didn't know a soul, I'd open the yellow pages and cold-call the business owners.
Should You Use Testimonials When You Create A Web Site?
You've probably seen web sites with testimonials - they can add legitimacy. But sometimes they are believable, and sometimes they are not.
Dont Be Satisfied With Your First Draft
Sometimes it's a struggle to figure out what's the best thing to say. You're writing a heading, the first sentence of an email, the introduction to a newsletter, a short description on a homepage.
Are You Losing Customers Because of Typos?
Overlooking simple steps such as proofreading and grammar can affect the credibility of your website. How are you protecting yourself?A potential customer on the internet has a disadvantage over a customer walking into a brick and mortar store.
How You Can Become A Freelance Business Plan Writer
As with any business, becoming a freelance business plan writer can be a challenge. The first challenges involve factors such as cash flow, getting clients, and maintaining some sort of order.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !