List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
5 Steps to Crime Prevention at your Marina
Spending the day or weekend on your boat is one of the pleasures most boaters look forward to all the time. Unfortunately, the marinas where vessels are stored at are just as susceptible to crime as our homes and places of work, if not more so. Criminals prey on two facts. (1) Many boats are left alone for days and weeks at a time and (2) when a boater heads out onto the water, criminals know that they have more than enough time to burglarize their parked car.
With that being said, it becomes important for boat owners to learn some common-sense practices for keeping the property on their boats and in their vehicles as safe as possible. Listed below are five steps that boaters can take to help protect their property from crime.
1. Mark It This is a proven deterrent and you will have a better chance of having your property returned if it is stolen. Etch or engrave an identification number, such as you vessel ID number, onto all of your valuable items. This will enable authorities to trace lost or stolen items back to your vessel. Also, enroll in a crime prevention program, like Boat Watch USA. It is free, and you receive a Vessel ID decal which includes a warning for all would be perpetrators to avoid your vessel. Place this decal where it can be easily seen from the most common spot your vessel is boarded from. Boat Watch USA also offers smaller Boat Watch USA warning decals to affix prominently to your major equipment.
2. Record It Secondly, record in detail all of your valuable equipment. Compile a written inventory of your boat, trailer, and all onboard equipment. Boat Watch USA includes with it's free service a form to list unique details and other special identifying features of your vessel. If you have a trailer, you can include particulars about it too. List all electronics, outboard engines, and other gear by brand name, model and serial number. Be as descriptive as possible for both the police and insurance companies. Again, Boat Watch USA offers an online vessel equipment log where owners can record equipment information and keep it readily available for the law enforcement and insurance companies should they need it.
3. Photograph It Photograph or video tape the interior and exterior of your vessel, showing all the installed equipment and additional gear stowed aboard. These photographs should show any identifying marks or scratches that can be useful in the recovery efforts of law enforcement. Include photographs of open drawers and lockers with all contents revealed. Date and sign the photographs and add clarifying or identifying messages as necessary. Store these photographs or video tapes in a safe location outside of your boat, such as your home.
4. Secure It Most thieves are opportunists and seek out the easiest vessels to strike. Purchase and use quality locking devices for your boat to make entry and accessibility as difficult as possible for would be thieves. Also, remove as many items as feasible when you are going to leave your boat unattended. The best way to keep thieves from stealing property from your boat is to not leave it aboard. Remove high risk items like TV's, radios, and CB's. If you are not going to remove items, store them out of sight in a securely locked cabinet or locker. Lastly, you may consider having an alarm system installed on your vessel. Care should be taken to select security equipment that is resistant to environmental elements typically found near waterways.
5. Marina Security Many thieves are successful because they look as if they belong in the area. Become acquainted with your fellow neighbors at the marina. A tactful offer to help assist a stranger to find a person or a boat will signal to thieves that you are looking out for each other and that nobody goes unnoticed. Urge your fellow neighbors to also be observant of strangers in the area and to question their presence as well.
Be sure to always lock your vehicle when parked at a launch site, marina or dock. Remember to keep all windows secured and to remove any valuables from sight. If you are not taking your purse, cell phone, or other property with you, lock it in the trunk while you are gone. Also, to lessen the opportunity a would-be-thief has to break into your vehicle, park it in an open, visible area.
Be mindful and alert of any suspicious vehicles or persons who are lingering in the area. Record license plate numbers and remember physical descriptions of these vehicles and persons you observe loitering in the area.
Remember, a marina with good security equipment and good security practices is a good start. Having marina members who actively carry out these five steps can make the difference between crime prevention and criminal activity.
Marc Eskew is a managing partner with Boat Watch USA and widely recognized for his knowledge of marina crime prevention. To find more information on marina and boat crime prevention, visit http://www.BoatWatchUSA.com
Royal Caribbean Cruises! Where Their Slogan Is Get Out There? And They Mean It
Imagine a cruise line where choices include ships with golf courses and rock-climbing walls looming 200 feet over the ocean. Where there is so much happening, so much to discover and experience it's just possible the crack of dawn will need to be your wake up call.
The Fabulous New Caribbean Princess Ship
The magnificent Caribbean Princess ship is the new queen of the Princess fleet. Her innovative design takes the Princess "Personal Choice Cruising" theme to a new level.
Stocking up Your Boat
There, you have just got a boat. A nice new hobby for the weekend and it is time to stock it out.
Why a Cruise Vacation is YOUR Dream Holiday
Thinking you could use an escape from the wintertime blahs, maybe even that dream holiday you've been thinking about for years? A Caribbean cruise vacation is the answer! What makes a cruise your dream holiday, you ask? Well, put simply, a cruise combines all the elements of a dream vacation into one blissful trip. There is ALWAYS something to do, no matter your age or interests.
Affordable Weekend Getaways? Romantic Cruises!
If you are looking for affordable weekend getaways, romantic cruises may just be the answer. Unless you are living in the middle of a desert, there will undoubtedly be cruises of some nature within driving distance of your home.
Radisson Seven Seas Cruises! Where Luxury Goes Exploring
Luxury goes exploring! How faithfully these words portray the elegance, exemplary service and much-lauded itineraries, which are the very hallmark of Radisson's Cruises. Long ensconced in the upper niche of 6-star cruising, Radisson welcomes guests to its five eclectic, trend setting ships as old and valued friends!Atmosphere:Atmospheres are luxurious of course, yet there is also the feeling of unpretentious informality and a relaxed conviviality, which quickly brings guests together.
Cruising with the Mouse - Disney Cruise Line
There's magic in everything that team Disney touches and their cruise line is no exception. Michael Eisner himself commissioned a talented group of ship designers, cruise experts and Disney creators to produce cruise ships that would appeal to adults and children of all ages.
Many academics are unable to handle the possibility of ships that travelled the oceans as long ago as the Franchithi Caves dig that showed 13,000 B.C.
Buying the Perfect Boat
Why is it, that when you are looking to buy a boat, you can never find one that suits your needs? This is what happens to many people every year and in particular to ourselves. It's just like buying a house.
Want To Know More About Cruises and Cruise Ships?
Today, Norm Goldman Editor of Sketchandtravel.com, is pleased to have as a guest of Sketchandtravel.
The Alaska Cruise- A Living Memory
The Alaska cruise is a major attraction drawing vacationers with its majestic scenery, gleaming glaciers, exotic wildlife, and Native American culture. Ships are normally on a seven-day excursion package to Alaska and they stop at four ports on their passage, visiting Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay National Park.
Six-Star Cruising on Luxury Cruise Lines
A luxury cruise is just what the name implies, a cruise at the upper end of the spectrum, not just five stars but a six-star cruise. There are six cruise lines that are in the luxury class: Crystal Cruise Line, Cunard Cruise Line, Radisson Seven Seas, The Yachts of Seabourn, Silversea Cruise Line, and Windstar Cruises.
Learning How to Sail
When it comes to sailing, there are all kinds of things to learn how to do. How you go about learning will depend on your particular style.
Cruise The Nile of Cleopatra
For centuries, the Nile River has been at the center of life in Egypt. The ancient Egyptian civilization relied on the flooding of the Nile to create fertile land for farming in an otherwise desert landscape.
Kids and vacation - trying to find the perfect option can be a real challenge but with a kid-friendly cruise, it does not have to be. If you were like most parents, you want to take your family on a special vacation, some place different, fun, adventurous, and affordable.
If You Can Afford A Vacation - You Can Afford A Cruise!
Some vacations are just more fun than others!There will be very few times in your life when you are completely free. Free from cares, responsibilities, chores, deadlines, timetables, ringing phones or demanding voices.
Luxury Cruise Line Vacations for Your Romantic Getaways!
Every cruise vacation offers passengers a luxurious cruising experience. Some of the cruise lines raise the bar so high that they are referred to as Luxury Cruise Lines by going "above and beyond" what one might expect in a great cruise experience.
Yacht Winterization Service Business
If you own a boat maintenance business you need to be providing winterization services to your customers. Many boat owners who get to know you may trust you to help them winterize their boats.
River Cruises Can be Such a Rich Experience
Exploring Europe can be such a unique experience with a River Cruise. You just unpack once on this floating hotel and there you go cruising with river cruises over magnificent castles, significant towns and cities, appealing villages and lavish vineyards.
Family Cruise: Family Get-Together for Fun
Family Cruise: Happy Times you will not forgetA family cruise is a perfect getaway with loads of fun and excitement for everybody. Whenever you have kids bored with the usual stuff amusement parks, theater and all and your spouse needs a change, plan a cruise.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !