List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
10 Pointers on College Loan Consolidation
Should I consolidate my college loans or not?
1. Still in school, yes! Rates are low, but they're scheduled to go up. Your college loan payments will then remain as manageable as possible when you leave school. If you have graduated, or will be graduating this May or June, yes! Graduates can lock in historical low rates, and reduce their monthly payments more than half. You can lock in a rate even while still in school, and even if you have been out of school for a couple of years can get a good deal, too.
2. The newest twist in the consolidation puzzle is the "in school consolidation", affecting students who are currently enrolled and will be enrolled past the July 1 consolidation. You can consolidate your existing college loans now to secure the low rates for at least part of their student loan portfolio.
3. Consolidating could save thousands of dollars in interest payments on college loans. There are impending student loan rate changes and new interpretation of regulations by the Department of Education, also, Congress is considering ending the fixed-rate program. Experts are urging students to consolidate to relieve themselves of a higher debt load.
4. Many students and families are looking for a simple, clear answer about whether to consolidate college loans or not. The simple answer is to take some of the bite out of the debt by loan consolidation. You could live like a miser and save as much money as possible or consolidate your federal student loans now.
5. For students still in school, you have an opportunity to choose consolidation. Consolidating would put a college loan borrower into repayment status, but the student can defer payments until after graduation by making a deferment request. Consolidating today can have payments put off until graduation.
6. The federal loan program allows consolidation, which is when a borrower pools his student debts together so that only one monthly payment is necessary, rather than several. It's not just the convenience of one payment that is making consolidation so compelling. The most significant aspect of the program is that it allows a person to permanently lock in a lower interest rate on loans. These loans are backed by, or granted directly by, the federal government.
7. Rates for federal Stafford loans, the most prevalent type of student loan, as well as some other types of federal student loans are set annually based on the rate of 91-day U.S. Treasury bills at the end of May. The exact rate won't be known until the end of the month, but experts say it will be about 2 percentage points higher. (Private loans and federal loans cannot be consolidated together.)
8. For the first time, the U.S. Department of Education will allow students still in school to consolidate federally backed loans. Federal PLUS loans can also be consolidated. PLUS loans are used to help pay the cost higher education.
9. Students, regardless of enrollment, should absolutely consolidate their college loans, arranged through the student's lender. There are no fees, no credit checks, and interest rates are expected to move higher. Those are good reasons to consolidate.
10. Act quickly to put lock on current federal-aid interest rates. Graduates should act now to insulate themselves from a drastic rate change. Apply early. Do not wait until the last minute to file paperwork. Those who have already graduated or left school should not wait to investigate consolidation. In the first six months after graduation, you are in a grace period. Within that six-month window, you can lock in a low rate on Stafford loans and spread the repayment over as long as 30 years.
If you're going to consolidate, now is the best time to do it.
Georgio Heberto is dedicated to offering news, articles, and instruction on financing college education. You have a definite choice in how you finance your education and beyond. Visit http://www.atopeducation.com for more information.
No-Cost Student Loan Consolidation
No-Cost Student Loan ConsolidationA no-cost student loan consolidation - doesn't that just sound too good to be true? Think about it. You have just accrued thousands of dollars in debt through student loans after 4 years of college, or possibly even more.
The Burden of Debt
Over recent years personal debt in the UK has exploded. Since 1997 the total debt including mortgages was in the region of £940 million.
Credit Counseling - Congress Offers No Details in New Law
The recently passed Bankruptcy Abuse and Consumer Protection Act was hailed as a breakthrough in bankruptcy law. Passed with bipartisan support in Congress and signed enthusiastically by President Bush, the law creates sweeping changes in debt law and will make it much more difficult for debtors to have their obligations swept away by the courts.
Benefits of a Debt Consolidation Loan
There are many benefits in choosing a Debt Consolidation Loan, some of which are listed below:May be able to reduce your monthly payments.Can take off some of the pressure you may be under from your existing creditors.
Debt Consolidation -- Choose Your Credit Counselor Carefully
Recently passed by Congress, the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 will require people who are filing for bankruptcy to first undergo mandatory credit counseling. This is probably not a bad idea; after all, many people with problem debt could probably benefit from credit counseling.
A Simple Question We All Wonder - Are Debt Settlement Companies Scams?
Are debt settlement companies scams? It's a simple question so does it have a simple answer?Along with the genuinely helpful firms, there are plenty of operations billing themselves as legit debt settlement companies. These debt company scams prey on debtors by promising relieved debt and empty their pockets forcing payment of outrageous fees.
You're not alone. Many people face a financial crisis some time in their lives.
The Pros and Cons of Debt Consolidation Loans
You are swimming in debt. You have 4 credit cards maxed out, a car loan, a consumer loan, and a house payment.
Debt Consolidation - Free Information About Consolidating Debt
Millions of consumers across the globe are searching for a way out of debt. Credit card bills, loans, and other unsecured debts have left many people unable to meet their monthly expenses.
Thinking Beyond Debt Consolidation Loans
Planning to devise a permanent solution to the problems of debt? The chances of success, to be exact, are lesser, given the features which characterize the debts. Debts are the result of the disequilibrium in the relationship between income and expenditure.
Debt a Glossary of Terms
Bankruptcy - Having been legally declared financially insolvent. There are two types of bankruptcy - liquidation, in which your debts are cleared (discharged) and reorganization, in which you provide the court with a plan for how you intend to repay your debts.
Consolidate Debt to Help Get You Out of the Quagmire
Will you agree with me if I tell you that, the key to financial success is to live within your means? This is an old belief that modern day income earners have completely forgotten. This is because it is now extremely easy to get into financial trouble.
Are You Buried In Debt?
Are you having a problem paying your bills? Are you receiving past due notices from creditors? Are most of your accounts being turned over to debt collectors? Are you worried that you might lose your home or your car?Well, you are not alone. Many people do face a financial crises at some time in their life.
Debt Management - Debt Management Fees
Debt management fees can vary vastly from one company to another. Knowing what to look for and ask when seeking help through debt management will leave you better off by not making the mistake of working with an unscrupulous agency that charges excessive upfront fees or can't disclose or won't disclose why they have structured their fees as they have.
Individual Voluntary Arrangement IVA, an alternative to bankruptcy
Individual Voluntary Arrangement, IVA is an alternative to bankruptcy - which could provide you with a real solution to your debt problems.An Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) is an alternative to bankruptcy.
Bad Credit Debt Consolidation Loan
Nowadays, many people can get into a bad credit situation if they do not keep track of their income and expenditure. Many young executives suddenly find that they are being offered credit cards by various companies.
Credit Cards Debt Consolidation
Consolidating credit card debt is never easy. Too often people run up their debts without even realizing it until it is too late.
Financial Aid - When Should I Apply For?
Many different types of financial aid are available to you in the form of scholarships, grants, and loans. With billions of dollars at stake, it is important to begin the search process early and to apply on time.
How Do I Know a Good Credit Card Debt Reduction Strategy When I See It?
Credit card debt reduction is an important part of the debt reduction process. The way credit card debt reduction works is if you have five credit cards, you need to keep track of and pay 5 bills every month.
Debt Consolidation Makes Sense Only with Low Interest Rates
Credit that cannot be managed or is not being repaid requires debt consolidation. Debt consolidation offers borrowers with a chance to repay their high interest loans at low interest rate.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !