List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
10 Tips for More Meaningful Holidays
No matter how many lists you make, cards you send, gifts you buy, or packages you wrap, there will be things you intended to do this holiday season that won't get done. If you do manage to get everything done, but you're too tired to enjoy the season, everyone suffers.
Consider these tips to minimize your stress and maximize the meaning this holiday season:
1. Tamper with tradition. Dragging yourself through "we've always done it" rituals when they've lost their meaning, and you've lost your energy, does not contribute to holiday joy.
2. Begin the season by making a list - but don't stop there. Pick out the most important item, the second, and on down the list. Remember, a creative mind always has more ideas than the body can accomplish!
3. Use your calendar - not just for appointments with other people, but with yourself as well. If you plan to send cards, estimate how much time it will take to write and address them, and block out that time on your calendar.
4. Ask your family what's important. Prepared foods instead of home-cooked means more time for sharing new sports equipment and relaxing with friends.
5. Avoid perfectionism in gift-giving. It's the thought that counts. Choose one or two gifts that can be used for several people. A relaxed parent or hostess is a greater gift than anything money can buy.
6. Focus your energy. If your family isn't as excited as you are about decorating the whole house, invest your efforts on what means the most to you.
7. If the holidays bring pain because of death, divorce, or family far away, be gentle with yourself. Recognize that grief is a healthy and that next year will be better, even if you can't believe it today. Concentrate on making other people's holiday more joyful.
8. Take time out from total togetherness. Let your child call a friend and take a nap. Give your siblings the car keys and a map. The idea is for everyone to enjoy the occasion.
9. Be clear about expectations. If you never tell your family what you want them to do, it's unfair to expect them to know.
10. Look over your list, leave off what you can live without, and enjoy the real reason for the season.
© Barbara Hemphill is the author of Kiplinger's Taming the Paper Tiger at Work and Taming the Paper Tiger at Home and co-author of Love It or Lose It: Living Clutter-Free Forever. The mission of Hemphill Productivity Institute is to help individuals and organizations create and sustain a productive environment so they can accomplish their work and enjoy their lives. We do this by organizing space, information, and time. We can be reached at 800-427-0237 or at www.ProductiveEnvironment.com
Easter Party Ideas
Easter marks the start of spring and is a sacred holiday for Christians throughout the world as it signifies when Jesus Christ was resurrected from the grave to live again. But where did the Easter bunny and eggs fit into the Easter tradition?The rabbit and eggs were actually symbols of fertility, immortality and new life to commemorate Christ's resurrection.
How to Put Some Sizzle in Your Summer Parties: 5 Ways to be a Gracious Host and a Great Guest
Now that the hot weather is finally here, we are looking forward to long, lazy days on the beach and hot summer nights that heat up after dark. Here are a few tips from lifestyle guru Kim Kristofferson-Magnusson on maximizing your fun in the sun!1) For family celebrations?KEEP IT SIMPLE!!Whether you're hosting a graduation party for 20 or a family reunion for 200, remember that it's your day to have fun too! To make the most of your time visiting with family and friends, take a vacation from your oven and corral your "grillmaster" of choice out on the patio.
Strategies for Surviving Holiday Dinners, Family Events and Other War Zones
No matter how well we may have weathered our basic training, nothing can fully prepare us for the front lines of family gatherings. We're in the thick of it, dodging live ammunition, and fighting the urge to return to our old, reliable patterns that helped us to survive while we were growing up.
Contact Lenses for Halloween
It is never too soon to begin planning the perfect Halloween costume, and frequently the best ones require a lot of planning and special effects items. Luckily for all the Halloween fans out there, there is now a huge line of contact lenses for Halloween.
Birthday Gift Ideas
Birthday celebrations date back as far as biblical times, when celebrations among Pharaohs and other significant individuals have been mentioned. There is even some evidence to suggest that in pagan cultures people feared that evil spirits lurked about an individual on their birthday because they tended to become more malicious around important events in one's life.
Valentines Day - Where Did THAT Come From?
Just as soon as the stores put away their Christmas merchandise, out comes the Valentine's Day items - even though Valentine's is still more than six weeks away.I don't know why, but it always takes me by surprise to see Valentine's Day merchandise so soon after Christmas.
Overcoming Loneliness this Christmas
Christmas is one of those times when the social norm is to get together with our families even if you never see them during the year. For those people who are isolated from their families, or do not have a family, it can be a time of great loneliness and even depression.
Choosing A Great Gift For A Polar Bear Lover
Do you know someone who is absolutely crazy about polar bears? Choosing a polar bear gift for a friend or loved one can be a lot of fun because there are so many choices out there, and luckily the price range is wide enough so that anyone can choose a great polar bear gift.Of course, sometimes having a lot of choices can be a problem, too.
Christmas Gifts For Bird Lovers
Choosing gifts for any animal lovers can be quite a pleasure, as it is often a gift that is shared by the recipient with her animal friends or pets. This is especially so with bird lover gifts.
Valentines Day Flowers
Flowers & Valentine's Day go hand in hand. Your Valentine will be so thrilled to receive a beautiful flower arrangement! Of course, Roses are known for their association with love.
Ever since my girls were little, I've tried to teach them patience. I well remember getting them to count to ten when we had to wait for something.
5 Ways to Having the Happiest Valentines Day Ever (even if youre alone)
The thought of Valentine's Day conjures up romantic evenings, a candlelight dinner, and long walks with your loved one. It is, without a doubt the most romantic day of the year.
Top Ten Things To Do The Day After Valentines Day
Why should February 14th get all of the attention?1. Water the flowers you receieved.
Spice Up Your Life with an Adventure Holiday!
Are you bored with the routine of city life? Do you yearn for a getaway from the hustle and bustle and put some excitement into your life? Do you hope to visit the places that have been aired over National Geographic Explorer and experience it for yourself? If your answer is yes to these questions, then adventure travel is just the thing for you!Defining an Adventure HolidayOk, so you've decided that you want an adventure holiday. This leads you to the next question - what type of adventure holiday do you want? There is just so much variety and different perceptions of the word "Adventure" that people have come up with all sorts of activities to define this word.
How to Make a Gift Basket
Gift Baskets are an ideal gift for nearly any occasion. Gift baskets provide a convenient way to find a gift for practically any occasion, but they also provide an avenue for creative and personalized gift giving.
10 Ways to Celebrate Memorial Day
Memorial Day is a day for remembering those who have laid their lives in the nation's service. Memorial Day has also become a popular time for Family Reunions and Get Togethers as it is preceded by a weekend.
Saving Money on a Holiday
Going on a family vacation can be considerably more expensive than going with your partner only. Instead of buying two airline tickets and renting a double room in a hotel, you need maybe four or five tickets and at least two hotel rooms.
Incredibles Kid Birthday Party Idea
Mr. Incredible and Elastiwoman to the Rescue.
Alone for the Holidays?
Being alone is a challenge for many people. This challenge may loom especially large during the holidays if you are single or newly divorced and without family around you.
No More Ties! Homemade Fathers Day Gift Ideas
If you are like me, you never know what to get dad for Father's Day. Well, today, you'll get a few ideas that will get you out of a bind any time.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !