List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Refrigerators Electric Consumption - Lower It In 15 Minutes
I recently had a customer ask for my advise about cleaning her refrigerator.
I started to describe the pros and cons of different cleaners that can be used to clean the interior when she stopped me abruptly. "I know all about that stuff ", she informed me, "I mean the black coil thing on the back".
So, in response to this common question I offer the following step-by-step directions.
Firstly, the 'black coil thing' at the rear of the refrigerator is called a condenser. Without too much technical jargon, its job is to dissipate heat into the kitchen. It does this by the condensation of the refrigerant gas. Hence, its name. The condenser tubing is usually seen on the rear of a refrigerator. It is produced in a serpentine form with additional fins running across it for added heat dissipation.
"Heat, I thought we were talking about refrigerators, not stoves".
You will have to believe me when I say: 'a refrigerator does not produce cold air'. Rather, its job is to transfer heat from inside the refrigerator cabinet to the outside. While doing this it removes heat from your food and that results in your food becoming cold.
So, who cares! You should. Because a major part in this transferring of heat is the 'black coil thing' we have been talking about. Yes, that's right, the condenser.
Without the condenser our refrigerator would not operate. Therefore, we are going to learn how to do basic maintenance of this part and keep our refrigerator in tip-top shape.
So let's begin -------------------------
· Vacuum cleaner
· Brush or vacuum brush attachment
· Cotton rag
· Light strength household cleaner
· Garbage bag
1. Pull the refrigerator away from the wall and unplug it.
2. The condenser will be the radiator-looking part on the rear of the refrigerator.
3. Use a brush or vacuum cleaner to remove any dust buildup on the condenser. Remember, the condenser is made of thin tubing and is full of a high-pressure (130 psig) gas. So be gentle. If you injure the tubing a simple cleaning could turn into an expensive repair.
4. If you have a pet expect to see a large accumulation of animal fur on the condenser. If a lot of dust or fur is present then clean off with a dry rag and dispose into the garbage bag. We suggest using the dry rag method first to avoid clogging up the vacuum hose.
5. Next, use the vacuum cleaner to finish the basic cleaning of the condenser. The brush attachment of the vacuum cleaner works particularly well at this point. The brush will allow you to get in between all the fins and remove the dust hiding there.
6. Finish by cleaning the condenser with a rag dampened with water. Avoid using any cleaner. Since the condensers job is to transfer heat any residue left by a cleaner could impede this process. Under no circumstances use something like furniture polish (example lemon furniture polish) or a dust removal spray. It will leave a waxy residue that will end up attracting more dust. Something that works extremely well is a static duster (not the dusting clothes). If you are not sure what I mean, it is the cleaning device that looks like a cats' tail attached to a long handle. They are great because they pick up dust without using any chemicals.
7. Use the vacuum to remove dust from the cardboard cover that is near the bottom rear of the refrigerator. It is covering the area where the compressor and electrical components reside. It will usually have holes in it where dust can accumulate.
8. Vacuum any dust from the floor and the cavity where the refrigerator normally resides. Vacuum the sides of the refrigerator. If there is a kick plate (floor level grille) at the front of the refrigerator vacuum it also. Hint: Do not remove the kick plate to clean. Some are very difficult to re-install.
9. Plug in the refrigerator and push back into place.
That's it ? that's all. The whole process should have taken approximately 15 minutes.
In the space of a few minutes you have accomplished a number of objectives. You have removed a major source of dust from your home; made the refrigerator operate more efficiently; and lowered your electrical consumption.
Even though it is an easy job, it is one that usually gets forgotten. So don't wait until the serviceman arrives once every few years to do this.
It is a very important cleaning project for the reasons already stated. Therefore, this is a job that should be placed right near the top of your next spring-cleaning list.
Copyright 2005 by Donald Grummett. All right reserved.
In the trade over 30 years as a technician, business owner, and technical trainer. For more information about appliances including FAQ, Stain guide, Recycling, and Newsletter visit http://www.mgservices.ca
Log Homes - Whats Different About Log Homes?
Newcomers to the world of log homes will notice that log homes look different than conventional "stick-built" homes. But are log homes really different, other than in appearance? If so, how?Let's take a look at some of the ways in which log homes differ from conventional homes.
Reduce Noise to Reduce Stress: Sound Advice From the Rug Doctor
Maybe getting the silent treatment at home isn't a bad thing after all.With the constant barrage of leaf blowers, lawn mowers and loud appliances swirling around us, it's no wonder "I need some peace and quiet!" has become such a popular plea.
Building a Home Addition
Besides providing your home with more living space, a home addition can be a terrific investment. However, before embarking on such a project the homeowner should first consider several important items.
Bathroom Designs Idea - Can I Design My Own Bathroom?
A bathroom designs idea -- can I really design my own bathroom? Why not! Today, the bathroom is much more than just a room for grooming and a place to read. Bathrooms can be a good place for home exercise equipment and a good music system or TV, for example.
The Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Shopping for a Mattress
Buying a new mattress is a daunting task that few relish. The range of prices, features, and stores can make your head spin.
Planning Permision Tips UK - 6 Common Design Mistakes When Extending a Residential Property
Don't you just love the design of some of these alpine chalets??!!**??One year we were given a loft bedroom that you couldn't stand up in with no wardrobe space and another chalet only had 2 bathrooms for 18 occupants. Still, skiers are the kind of people that can ruff it for most times so its no major hassle.
Interior Design For Bargain Hunters
Interior design for bargain hunters is the new fashionable item in the arena of interior design. Everyone is interested these days in making their money stretch as far as it possibly can.
Remove Carpet Stains - The How To
Your short lesson on how to remove carpet stains: act fast. Carpets today (most) come with stain-resistant treatments, so spills can be removed if you get to them quickly.
Replacing Your Sliding Glass Door Rollers
If the sliding glass doors in your home are more than 10 years old, you might notice that they are becoming harder to slide open. This problem is even more common on aluminum frame dual pane doors.
You may think choosing garage doors is straight forward, however there are many things to consider, such as whether your garage is adjoining your property, is it a single or a double garage, how much clearance inside and out is needed and so on. Also, the appearance of the garage door can influence what material you use.
Glass Sinks - 4 Unbreakable Rules of Buying a Glass Vessel Sink
1. Know your sinks How durable are these sinks? These sinks are tempered.
Ceiling Fan Blades
A ceiling fan consists of three basic parts, namely the motor; blades and the mounting device. The standard ceiling fans comprises of three to five blades.
Gas Stoves - Pros and Cons
Gas stoves are those preferred by professionals. The heat distribution is more even than that of electric stoves, and heat precision is more accurate.
Feng Shui Your Home, Work and Life For Balance and Harmony
Feng Shui describes the communication that takes place every day between you and your environment, be it your home, garden or work. This discipline investigates the universal feelings and reactions of human beings to all environments, including our world.
Building or Decorating Your Home Requires House Plans
There are some things to consider when creating plans for your home. There are two situations that call for plans or blue prints, either you are building a new home or decorating your present home.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Home Theater - Without Spending a Fortune
So you've scraped and saved, now you've finally gotten together a semi-respectable home theater system. You want even more, but the idea of spending another few thousand on new front speakers doesn't cut it.
Sparkling, Clean Lighting Will Add The Perfect Touch To Your Home
When one thinks of the many factors that affect the look of a room, most people think only of the paint and furniture. In doing so, they overlook the most important factor: Lighting.
Portable Air Conditioners Ensure Economy And Convenience
Small is beautiful and convenient and so is the portable air conditioner as it can be shifted from one place to the other very easily. Read on to find out all the other advantages.
Building Permits and Inspections
Probably the most intimidating part of building your own house is the permit process. Not only do the the requirements vary from township to township, but at times the decisions made seem so subjective that we find ourselves seething in frustration.
Unadulterated Truth About Black Mold: What You Don't Know Is Destroying Your Home And Your Health
With today's new building procedures, our homes are more dangerous than ever before!Scientific evidence now shows that the air inside our homes is 2-5 times more polluted than the air outside. And because we spend about 90 percent of our time inside, indoor air quality has become one of the top environmental health threats in the country.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !