List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Make Your House A Home
When thinking about polished floors, cushions in place, an exquisite flower arrangement, crisp and folded napkins on the table, take time to think about comfort, family time and kids activities also when decorating or designing your house. A lively place full of warmth and chatter is what makes a 'House' a 'Home'. There are times when we overlook some important details to give that 'Designer Touch' to our houses. Household accidents, unhealthy personal conditions and lack of family activities are the result.
To avoid such a situation, take care to make your house a comfortable and healthy place to live in. Look around you and observe carefully if any difficulty and threats are being posed due to faulty placement and wrong choice of objects. Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Rubber Mats: Though not much decorative, rubber mats are the best things to have outside your bathroom or near the kitchen sink. They will help avoid slipping and add safety to your home. Never use any kind of rugs at the top or bottom of stairs.
2. Work Delegation Diary: Keep a diary in a conspicuous place and write down in it, the daily chores of all members. Make sure everyone takes turn feeding the pet, mowing the lawn, dusting the furniture and setting the dinner table.
3. Sitting Space: Keep some extra, light-weight chairs or stools that can be carried to any place to make immediate sitting space. Garden sitting space, preferably under a tree or any other shade, is a lovely idea for spending family time. Get cane chairs or a bench placed in your garden. Chairs and a table in the porch is another great idea.
4. Door Knobs: Round door knobs give your room a nice appeal, but are down on the Comfort-level. Children and Elders suffering with Arthritis etc. find if difficult to grip them. They are also difficult to grasp with wet hands. They can be replaced with Lever Handles both on the inside as well as the outside for ease and comfort.
5. Showers: Though showers are top on Elegance list and Hand Showers are blamed for 'spoiling the look' with their long hose, there cannot be anything better than an adjustable hand shower with a hose for bathing big dogs and kids.
6. Lighting: Make sure that all your rooms have ample light. Reserve subtle lighting and other lighting effects for special occasions and parties. Good, clear light helps maintain everyone's health care easier and is especially good for school-going children and elderly people.
7. Artifacts: The next time you see your little kid hardly daring to breath when passing by your favorite antique lamp for the fear of breaking it, you know its the time for a revamp. Place glass objects and other breakable treasures in safer areas so your family members can move freely without worrying about spoiling your decor.
8. Comfort Level: At all times, keep in mind that your home needs to be comfortable and not rigid. Things get monotonous when they are 'too perfect'. A cozy nook by the window with a small coffee table, extra pillows thrown in for a comfortable tête-à-tête, a sparkling fireplace with a warm rug sprawled across are some examples.
9. Family Space: A 'Home' is all about a family! Include in your design/decor, special 'Family' places like a sufficiently large dinner table, a card table for indoor games etc. Like I said above in 'Sitting space', a mini dining table or wicker table-chair set in your garden or under a tree in the backyard is a lovely idea. If you have a spare room for your crafts, make a separate shelf for Family crafts like Scrapbooking. A Wall Gallery of photos is a great way to bind family members - past and present.
You know what works best for your family. So develop this list further according on the needs of your family and watch your pretty house take the shape of a 'Pretty Home'.
Lata Tokhi is the Founder and Editor of Dot Com Women - a popular women's website, Celebrating Christmas - a resource for celebrating Christmas in style and I Love to Craft - a website full of free craft projects and ideas. Visit her websites for lots of homemaking and business ideas, free downloads, free Ezines and message boards for women to network and share.
How To Choose Wall Mount Outdoor Mailboxes
Sturdy wallmount outdoor mailboxes are no longer available in just standard sizes and colors. You can find a wide assortment of wall mount outdoor mailboxes for the outside of your home in many colors, textures, and materials.
Old House Remodeling: Removing Old Tile and Glue
When you live in old house like I do, remodeling is always a challenge and a surprise. I am currently involved in a major kitchen remodel.
Single Pane Window Glass Repair in an Aluminum Frame
Let's suppose you still have those old aluminum single pane windows in your house,and one of the neighbor kids throws a ball through it. ( Your kid would never do that!) Depending on where you live in the country, you can pay anywhere from $75 to $150 to get it repaired.
A Few Concrete Suggestions
Up until a few years ago, my professional experience was in industries including retail, energy, health care, and fast food. In 1996 circumstances and opportunity led me into the manufacturing, marketing, and installation of products used for Floor Warming, Total Space Heating, Roof Snow and Ice Melting and Snow and Ice Melting of driving and walking surfaces.
Installing Vinyl Replacement Windows In A Wood Frame Opening
When we left off last week, we had removed the old wood sash windows and prepared the opening for the vinyl replacement windows. Now it's time to install your new windows.
Kitchen Remodeling Costs
It is important to prepare a budget for your kitchen remodeling plan before you start implementing it. Without a complete and detailed budget prepared before the kitchen renovation begins, you may get swept into a spending spiral of unbudgeted extras.
Corrugated Roofing Materials Used for Roofing Any Structure
The roof is a very essential element of the house, building or any structure. They provide the shelter and the protection from nature's elements and factors such as rain, snow, sleet, as well as sunlight.
Warm & Toasty Outdoors with Patio Heaters
The Heat is On with Patio Heaters Any outdoor lover will tell you that the right patio heater will allow you to extend your love of the open-air life all year round. A 15-20 foot circle of heat can easily increase the outside temperature by 10-25 degrees Fahrenheit and that makes all the difference between having to stay inside and eating out.
Home Remodeling Business
Need for home remodelingThe need for home remodeling is on the rise as many people like the neighborhood they live in and the affordability of their existing homes. By incurring a little cost they can remodel their old houses to increase space and add new amenities.
Electrical Savings System; Save up to 40% on Your Electric Bill Every Month
Once a month there's an electric bill coming in the mail with your name on it. For the next week, it's telling the kids to shut the lights off when you're done, And most of the time, you turn them off yourself.
Guides To Interior Design
These days, finding advice or guides to interior design is a quick and easy task. Are you looking to design that 'dream room', the one that you have kept vision of for up teen years and never acted upon? Maybe you're a professional who is interested in livening up their career situation by delving into the world of creative design.
Choosing Your Builder: Cheapest Quote Wins?
You have your 3 quotes from each potential builder so choosing the one you are going to trust with your re-modelling, new garage, extension etc. should be easy, shouldn't it? Unfortunately most homeowners would consider this the end of their search for a builder when in fact what you should be doing next is the second most important if your home improvement project is to run smoothly (what's the most important? You will find the answer at the end of this article).
The Organized Move: Preparing Your Home for the Publics Eye
(This is the first in a series of three articles on "The Organized Move")The thought of moving can set most of us in a tailspin, but what is more frightening is imagining the parade of realtors and home buyers marching through your very personal space and judging you on: neatness, maintenance and upkeep, and tasteful décor. (There will be a handful of buyers that are looking for a "fixer upper" and projects that last for years, but unfortunately only two exist to date).
A well-decorated room can still lack personality. To give your room a personality, choose from among these basic design elements, modify them to suit your tastes and implement them in a way which is just right for you.
With A Stylish Bathroom Vanity You Can Take Pride In Your Bathroom's Appearance!
An easy way to instantly improve your bathroom's image is to buy a stylish new bathroom vanity set. Bathroom vanity sets come in a huge range styles and finishes.
Replacing Steel Casement Windows
I have been getting quite a few emails from homeowners wanting to know how to replace their old steel casement windows. Those are the type with the handle that you crank and the window opens outward.
Where's the Care Label for my New Bedspread?
I love bedspreads, don't you? A comforter can be used for the winter months but the bedspread is brought out of the linen closet in the spring when it's warming up and the whole world is freshening and renewing itself outside. A bedspread is available in most any color, pattern or fabric and it can be one of the most expensive items you put in your bedroom.
The Versatile Reciprocating Saw: The Power Tool of Your Dreams
A reciprocating saw is simply one of the handiest tools you can own. These tools are great for applications in the home or the jobsite.
Reduce Your Heating Bills This Winter - Overlooked Sources of Heat Loss in the Home
Imagine leaving a window open all winter long - the heat loss, cold drafts, and wasted energy! Well if your home has a folding attic stair, a fireplace, and/or a clothes dryer, that may be just what is occurring in your home!These often overlooked sources of heat loss and air leakage can cause your heat pour out and the cold outside air pour in - costing you higher heating bills, causing cold drafts, and wasting energy.Air leaks are the largest source of heating and cooling loss in the home.
How to Install a New Toilet in 5 Easy Steps
If your toilet is old and in need of repairs, it is cheaper to replace it by installing a new one. This is quite easy to do and can be completed in an afternoon.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !