List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
A Place For Everything And Everything In Its Place
Tax season is over...The spring holidays have passed... Hopefully by now you have sent your taxes in and recovered from your spring holiday preparation. You can RELAX! Sit back, get excited for summer.
Just don't let things slide too much. In order for you to be able to take the break you deserve, there are a few VITAL organizing systems you need to have in place so clutter doesn't take over.
1. Mail-establish a place for incoming mail and outgoing mail. I like to keep a picture box with my stamps, envelopes, tape, scissors, a couple of pens, and whatever else I need to send letters.
For incoming mail, you can keep a tiered tray with different categories to look at a later date-bills, medical reimbursements, to file. Frequently check the tray to see when anything is due.
Keeping your mail in one location prevents paper pileup.
2. Receipts and coupons- establish a system for receipts. You can use an expandable check file and label each section according to store, credit card, or type of purchase. Think about where you would look to find it if you needed it.
3. Library books/movies-keep anything you can incur a fine for in one location.
4. Magazine basket-keep magazines in a basket and when it gets too full, sort and purge.
5. Keys-keep your keys in one place! It may sound obvious to you but do you waste time desperately searching for your keys?
6. Birthdays-read more about keeping a birthday tracking system at http://www.best-organizing-products-superstore.com/yahoo-birthday-reminders.html
7. Gifts-I like keeping extra gifts on hand for those last minute necessities. This may sound terrible- but I also keep gifts that I receive (that I don't particularly like) in this location. I do not allow my home to become cluttered with gifts I did not like and the guilt that goes along with not using them!
8. CDs/DVDs-believe it or not, I have seen media take OVER much floor space and counter space when no specific place is designated for it. Devote one piece of furniture with drawers to contain all of your media.
9. Lists- This is my favorite! You do not need to have any fancy software or device for this. I open up a plain Microsoft word document for any list I think of-tax deductions for next year, things I have borrowed or lent out, people to send holiday cards to, holiday inventory (for instance, I need a better can opener for next Passover), spring cleaning chores, books to read, wish lists, babysitting instructions, packing lists...
You name it! Whatever thought enters my head, I write it down to prevent mental clutter.
If you are more of a creative type of person and hate the idea of making lists, do it in a way that speaks to you. For instance, create "landmarks" for your lists. For example, if you have a picture of your spouse on your desk, perhaps keeping a gift wish list or birthday list under his/her picture would remind you to plan their birthday gift.
10. Grocery shopping and cooking-Keep a running grocery list on the front of your pantry or refrigeration (with a pen!) so you can write down items as you need them.
Plan one day a week to plan all the meals for the week with the ingredients that you need. Be sure to add those ingredients to your grocery list.
Designate the same day each week to go grocery shopping.
11. Laundry and Cleaning routines One of the most important routines is the laundry and cleaning routine. Part of it is just having the supplies on hand and a comfortable spot to do the laundry.
I really love the clorox wipes- whenever you go to the bathroom, take a quick wipe of the toilet seat, vanity, and sink countertops.
Designate 2 days a week to do laundry or if it works better for you to throw a load in each morning, that's fine. Make sure you have laundry baskets in everyone's room and a large sorter basket in the laundry room. That way, each person can bring their basket into the laundry room on laundry day and sort it by color.
In terms of a cleaning routine, you have a lot of flexibility. You can designate one day a week for cleaning in addition to cleaning for a 1/2 hour every morning and evening. Think like a restaurant server-pick up after using, wash dishes, wipe down dirty surfaces often. That way you will not need a heavy duty cleaning too often.
Review! 1. Create a place for everything. Literally give the items that clutter up your home an address.
2. Build habits-Establishing routines is a very IMPORTANT concept in maintaining lasting organization. Going to the grocery store the same day every week, or returning calls between 3-4 PM every afternoon can save a lot of time and prevent physical and mental clutter.
It is my hope these tips for basic organizing systems enables you to relax more freely this upcoming summer season. Happy Organizing!
Rebekah Slatkin is a professional organizer dedicated to getting people organized through hands-on decluttering sessions, teleconferencing, coaching, and her website http://www.best-organizing-products-superstore.com Visit http://www.best-organizing-products-superstore.com and subscribe to Organewz, her ezine dedicated to organized living and get organizing tips and downloads- free.
Installing a Home Theater System
Thinking about installing a home theater system? You're not alone. Home theater is one of the fastest growing areas areas in home entertainment and the advent of DVD recorders and HDTV means your set-up can now be entirely digital, without an inch of video tape in site.
Tips on Ladder Safety
PLACEMENT?Ladders should be placed so each side rail is on level and firm footing so the ladder is rigid, stable and secure. ?Boxes, loose bricks, or other loose packing should not support the side rails.
Home Automation Enhances Your Lifestyle and Saves Money - Exciting Home Automation Applications
Wouldn't it be nice to have your home take care of things for you, automatically, without you having to lift a finger? You bet it would. That is the promise of home automation.
How to Install a New Toilet in 5 Easy Steps
If your toilet is old and in need of repairs, it is cheaper to replace it by installing a new one. This is quite easy to do and can be completed in an afternoon.
Securing Your Castle
In the world of today, we no longer employ the moat, drawbridge or 30 foot high walls as security devices. However, if we know the correct methods and devices to use, we can attain better security than those devices afforded.
A Review of Popular Dehumidifier Products
There are at least two dozen brand names marketing dehumidifiers. Review this brief summary of five of the most commonly requested brands, and you'll be well on your way to narrowing down the list.
Beautiful, Elegant Bathtubs that Spruce Up any Bathroom
Bathtubs have become an important necessity of our daily life for many reasons. Who hasn't enjoyed the comfort of soaking in a nice, hot tub at the end of a particularly hard day.
Light Up Your Kitchen with the Right Lighting!
The proper lighting in a room can make or break it. With lighting, you can create a soft, cozy room for reading and relaxing.
Hammocks Create a Stress Free Zone
Stress is all around us, from the office to the front yard and everywhere in between. Homeowners are buying hammocks and porch swings to create that stress free zone they need to unwind after a busy day.
Three Great Concepts for Remodeling a Master Bedroom
Since it's one of the places people spend the most time, one of the most satisfying home makeovers is the main bedroom. Here are three ideas for creating a dynamic new main bedroom space:The Passion BoudoirThe French have always led the world in designing sexy bedrooms, and now homemakers all over the world have followed their lead and begun decorating their bedrooms for sex and sensuality.
This Is Why People Should Consider Granite Countertops
Granite countertops are among the most beautiful things you can add to your kitchen. Kitchen countertops gain a beautiful glow from these pieces of art.
Use Air Filters and Common Sense for Allergy Relief
Do you suffer from allergies or asthma? If you are one of the millions of people that do, air filters and air purifiers provide much needed relief. Do you have smokers in the house? Air filters or air purifiers get rid of smoke and odor in your home.
Make your Sauna a Focal Point
A sauna has been used throughout history in every part of the world to promote health. The wealthy did not consider their mansions complete without the warmth of a steam bath or spa.
How to Design a Lighting Plan
You are doing a remodel and know that you want to add some lighting to the room, but your stumped. Where do I start is the most common question I get asked.
Shopping For Carpet
The allure of carpet lays not only its soft and luxurious texture, but also in its ability to enhance and match any décor. It is suited to both formal and casual environments, while offering a palette of colors that cannot be found in any other flooring material.
A Guide to Portable Dehumidifiers
The United States Environmental Protection Agency says that the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture. That's just one reason to invest in a portable dehumidifier.
Solar Energy Advantages Disadvantages
Many of us know that solar energy is a good thing, but few really understand why. Therefore, I compiled a comprehensive list of solar energy advantages and disadvantages that will enable you to make an educated decision whether on not Solar Power is right for YOU.
Building a Backyard Play Structure
A child's dream backyard includes a play structure complete with a slide and swings just like the one at the neighborhood park. Once you have made the decision to make your child's dream come true then you have several avenues from which to select depending on the amount of money and time you can invest.
How To Know If Interior Design Is Right for You
Have you ever seen a beautiful house or office building and wondered who did the work? Have you ever wished that you could do some of the work that you've seen elsewhere? Many people wonder what it would be like to be an Interior Designer, but they rarely ever go beyond thinking about it.If you really want to know if Interior Design is right for, this book will be your comprehensive guide to the ins and outs of the business.
The $27,000 Toilet Seat - Funny DIY Story
This story was told to me by a plumber I know and it brings home the reason why there are times to call a professional.I received a call from a homeowner asking for someone to come estimate some repairs.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !