List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
10 Things You Can Do Now To Prepare For Hurricane Season
The 2005 hurricane season is right around the corner and runs for six months from June 1, 2005 to November 30, 2005. According to a recent survey from the National Hurricane Survival Initiative, the residents in hurricane prone states -- from Maine to Texas -- aren't anywhere near prepared for what they might face. Here are 10 quick tips to help you prepare.
1. During the off season is the time to stock up on supplies -- batteries, water and non-perishable food. If you wait until a hurricane is approaching, your chances of finding the items you need are not ideal.
2. Buy a small plastic carrying case for your important papers. Keep it filled and updated during hurricane season so all you have to do is grab and go if you have to evacuate.
3. Save that ice. At the beginning of hurricane season start using that ice that builds up in your icemaker. Fill up several plastic bags with ice and store them in your freezer.
4. Have at least two coolers. One for drinks and one for food. You might also want to have a third cooler on hand for the stuff you will use most often. That way you aren't opening all the coolers frequently and letting the ice melt.
5. It gets really dark when there's no electricity. Battery and solar operated light products are much better than candles. Make sure you have at least one per person.
6. Your cordless phone won't work without electricity. Make sure you can communicate with loved ones. Have a phone with a regular cord. They're very inexpensive and can be your communication lifeline in an emergency.
7. Pets are family too. Make sure you have a pet carrier or transportation device for each pet in your home along with a plan for your pets should a disaster occur.
8. Cash is a must. ATM machines don't work when the electricity is out and the likelihood of your corner store offering to cash a check is slim. Sock away some bucks in that plastic carrying case (see tip #2) so you'll never be caught short-handed.
9. When preparing your home, don't forget to look up. Check those trees and tree limbs. Trim those that could damage your house.
10. Your garage door is a vulnerable wind entry point during a hurricane. Make sure you have it reinforced to prevent collapse.
Denise O'Berry is a small business consultant in Tampa, Florida. For more hurricane information, tips and tools, visit http://www.myhurricanecenter.com
The Best Time to Inspect Your Home!
Home inspections conducted prior to a home being placed on the market is one of the wisest moves a seller can make. The initial response from sellers when approached with the idea of an inspection done as the home is about to be put up for sale is most always the same - "What?!"Let's review a few of the most common concerns about Pre-Listing Home Inspections.
Log Homes - Whats Different About Log Homes?
Newcomers to the world of log homes will notice that log homes look different than conventional "stick-built" homes. But are log homes really different, other than in appearance? If so, how?Let's take a look at some of the ways in which log homes differ from conventional homes.
Reuse Works for the Workshop
The workshop is a great place for reusing items formally destined for the landfill. Even if you do not have a shop or craft area you can always donate the items mentioned in the following paragraphs to friends, schools, shops, youth centers? The concept of reusing is as limitless as your imagination.
Ten Things You May Not Know About Selecting Hardwood Flooring
1) Red Oak is not the only choiceIf you want your home to look like everyone else's, this is a great choice. If you want your home to be unique try hickory, cherry, walnut, white oak, maple or many others.
How to Remodel A Small Bathroom
Not all bathrooms can be lavish spaces with whirlpool tubs and two separate vanities. For some bathrooms, space is at a premium and knocking out walls is not an option, but remodeling must be done.
Design Psychology: Beds and Emotional Well-Being
The bed represents the beginning and ending of life. In the past, people were conceived, born, and died in the same bed.
Hot Tub Heaven
What will your next home improvement project be? Will it be an inground pool or how about a new deck? Why not consider a hot tub for the new deck? A hot tub is great for relaxing year round. There are lots of things to consider when shopping for your first hot tub.
On my blog, I once wrote about life on the Veranda - a favorite Southern, summer pastime.Picture a Charleston side-porch house, facing the obligatory magnolia tree, refreshing gin and tonics or the standard mint julep.
Sparkling, Clean Lighting Will Add The Perfect Touch To Your Home
When one thinks of the many factors that affect the look of a room, most people think only of the paint and furniture. In doing so, they overlook the most important factor: Lighting.
Hammocks Create a Stress Free Zone
Stress is all around us, from the office to the front yard and everywhere in between. Homeowners are buying hammocks and porch swings to create that stress free zone they need to unwind after a busy day.
Reduce Your Heating Bills This Winter
Imagine leaving a window open all winter long -- the heat loss, cold drafts and wasted energy! If your home has a folding attic stair, fireplace or clothes dryer, that may be just what is occurring in your home every day.These often overlooked sources of heat loss and air leakage can cause heat to pour out and the cold outside air to rush in -- costing you higher heating bills.
Allow Me to Introduce You to the Fungus Family
What exactly is mold? There are over 100,000 different kinds of mold in the world so it is literally everywhere. Molds are organisms and are members of the fungus family.
The modern look is a highly admired form of interior design. The word Modern is a broad term that encompasses many different techniques and styles of design.
The Great American Dream
Are you ready to starting building your dream home. House plan designs are abundant and easy to customize.
Spring Deck Prep Tips
It's finally spring! Time to move out the patio furniture and get ready to enjoy the great outdoors.But, before you do, make sure you clean, restore and protect your deck so you can get the most out of it during the spring and summer months ahead.
Outdoor Ceiling Fans Complement the House
Fans extending from the ceiling have been around for centuries and the modern ceiling fan as we know it today has been used since Victorian times. Savvy homeowners use the ceiling fan in every room imaginable.
Hand Stripping Furniture
Directions for HAND Stripping.Work with plenty of ventilation, safety goggles or glases, and skin protection.
Interior Design For Children
Interior design for children is one of the most fun, delightful aspects of the business if you ask me. It is so fun because children are limitless as far as their creativity and imaginations are concerned.
Key Bathroom Remodeling Ideas
One of the simplest ways to start planning your bathroom remodeling is to tour other bathrooms to get bathroom remodeling ideas. Pay attention to what you like and don't like.
Measure Your Window for Verticals and Horizontal blinds, Wood blinds, Faux Wood Plantation Shutters
Here are five important things to remember.1.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !