List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Log Homes for Beginners - 10 Steps to Success
For those who may be thinking of building a new log home and enjoying the lifestyle that comes with it, there are a number of steps you should take to make the process smoother.
1. Decide on a home style by reading log home magazines and visiting log home shows in your area. Attend log home company seminars. Do you want a single-story, one-and-a-half story, or two story house? Do you prefer a traditional cabin style, or a more contemporary look? Do you like round logs or square logs?
2. Decide on a rough floor plan. Based on the plan, determine how many square feet of living space you'll need. Find standard floor plans at log home shows and on log home company web sites. Standard plans can be customized if needed.
3. Narrow down your choices of log home companies you think you would want to work with. Contact their representative in your area and discuss your plans. Visit model homes build by each company.
4. Based on the plan you choose and the number of square feet of living space, determine the rough turn-key cost of building your home. Remember, the cost of a log home "kit" is only part of the overall cost of your home. Cost estimator calculators are available on some log home company web sites, and on the Log Home Advisor web site.
5. Based on the estimated cost to build your home, determine if the cost is within your budget and your ability to be approved for a mortgage. If not, go back to Step 2 and make changes to reduce cost.
6. If you're OK on the financing, locate and secure property. Make sure that there are no problems with road access, zoning, building restrictions, utilities, or services.
7. Arrange your financing with a bank or finance company that understands log homes. Many banks don't offer log home mortgages.
8. Get a contractor/builder who has log home experience, preferably experience with your particular log home company's building methods. Sign your log package contract with your chosen log home company, and arrange for delivery.
9. Monitor the construction process closely to make sure everything is going smoothly and correctly.
10. Move in and live your dream.
Al Hearn is owner and operator of Log Home Advisor, a web site dedicated to the needs of log home enthusiasts.
Making the Most of a Small Bathroom
In bathroom terms at least, bigger doesn't have to be better - It's all just a case of making the most of the modest proportions you're presented with! And what's more, designing a bathroom that's small on space usage but big on style and functionality should be a lot more fun.The Click Bathrooms guide to maximising a modest bathroom follows three simple principles?1 - Make it seem biggerA great way of tackling a bathroom with limited dimensions is by creating the illusion of space.
Concrete Cutting - Adding a Pre-Cast Concrete Stairway Bulkhead to Your Home
Installing a pre-cast concrete stairway to your home's basement is actually quite an easy project for the advanced do-it-yourselfer or anyone that can coordinate a couple of sub contractors. Doing so will add a water tight weather proof egress to your basement that, in many cases, is necessary to comply with local building codes during a remodel.
On my blog, I once wrote about life on the Veranda - a favorite Southern, summer pastime.Picture a Charleston side-porch house, facing the obligatory magnolia tree, refreshing gin and tonics or the standard mint julep.
How To Know If Interior Design Is Right for You
Have you ever seen a beautiful house or office building and wondered who did the work? Have you ever wished that you could do some of the work that you've seen elsewhere? Many people wonder what it would be like to be an Interior Designer, but they rarely ever go beyond thinking about it.If you really want to know if Interior Design is right for, this book will be your comprehensive guide to the ins and outs of the business.
Home Furnishings and Shelving
Its spring time and that means we start working on our homes. Cleaning, organizing, purchasing new things to spruce the place up are just some of the home furnishings we do.
What to Know Before Signing a Home Improvement Contract
It is important to be a very careful consumer when it comes to home improvement contractors. For instance, I had a case where my client, an elderly and blind woman, signed a contract and paid $30,000.
What Two Words Will Double the Space in Your Home?
Just two words and a bit of explanation about them will help you to double, maybe even triple, the space in your home now. Those two words are "Go vertical.
Use the FHA Mortgage Specifically Created for Home Improvement
Almost everyone knows about FHA mortgages. They are tailor-made for first time homebuyers and others with less than perfect credit or other financial issues.
Why You Might Need a Waterproofing Consultant
Waterproof consultants perform a wide variety of functions. Why should you hire a waterproofing consultant for your project? Firstly, professional consultants in this field are often very knowledgeable in finding the problem and the best way to fix it.
Repairing Your Faulty uPVC Double Glazed Windows And Doors
It is an amazing fact that uPVC double glazing was sold by the industry as a maintenance free product. While it is true the uPVC frame will last approximately 10,000 years before degrading, the mild steal and cast Zink moving hardware parts will last an average of 10 years before they start to fail.
The Benefits of Small Dehumidifiers
So it's too humid in your 10' X 10' bedroom. Or perhaps the steam in your bathroom is starting to make the wallpaper peel.
Help With Buying A New Ceiling Fan
When you are choosing a new ceiling fan there are a couple of things that you really need to think about before you go out and make a purchase. If you do not think and plan before purchasing your new ceilnig fan, there is a chance that it will not perform the way you want it to or it might not even fit in the space allocated.
Single Pane Glass Repair in an Aluminum Frame, Part 2
This week we are going to continue our series on single pane window glass repair. Let's talk about broken glass in a fixed window, usually referred to as a picture window.
Rustic Stone House Signs
You may own a remarkably constructed, attractive house that is perfect from every angle. The outside of the house is designed to demand a second look from anyone passing by.
Ten Things You May Not Know About Selecting Hardwood Flooring
1) Red Oak is not the only choiceIf you want your home to look like everyone else's, this is a great choice. If you want your home to be unique try hickory, cherry, walnut, white oak, maple or many others.
Bakers Racks Add Flair And Style To Your Kitchen
Many items a person can add to the kitchen are stylish and functional. Bakers racks fit this description nicely.
Building a Garage Addition to Your Home
One of the most rewarding home improvements I made to my house was to build a garage addition. For years I contemplated building a garage addition while I scraped the ice and snow from my cars and waited for them to warm up during the winter months.
Types of Table Saws
A table saw is one of the most popular pieces of machinery used for woodworking. It consists of a circular saw powered by an electric motor that is mounted onto a table.
Lakeside Patios - The Water Makes Decisions For You
If you are putting in a new patio on a lakeside, you have unique considerations that other homeowners do not have when it comes to purchasing patio furniture.We built a new patio on a 700 acre lake and I had to look around for just the right outdoor furniture.
Skip Troweling Method for Textured Ceilings
There are several ceiling texture choices to choose from when finishing a room. You can simply apply a flat paint to the ceiling, or spray or roll on a popcorn textured ceiling.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !