List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Kitchen Design Online - Understanding the Work Triangle and Kitchen Layouts
Good kitchen design online means having a layout for your kitchen that provides an efficient and pleasant area in which to prepare meals and do related tasks. Understanding the kitchen work triangle concept and basic kitchen layout types is a valuable starting point to design a kitchen online that you like.
The kitchen work triangle consists of the distance between the sink, refrigerator and range or cooktop. Each one of these areas becomes a focal point in the kitchen and forms the three points of a triangle with different distances between them. Done correctly, proper kitchen design online will give you the most efficient food preparation area layout in your kitchen.
Whether you're remodeling an existing kitchen or building a new one, an efficient kitchen design online means that your work triangle minimizes the number of steps the cook must take between the three areas during meal preparation and cleanup. The total distance from the sink to the stove to the refrigerator and back to the sink should be not less than 12 feet total nor more than 27 feet. Each triangle leg should measure between 4 and 9 feet in length. The kitchen isles should be at least 42 to 48 inches wide to allow people to move around easily and for appliances to be opened with ease.
When selecting the floor plan for your kitchen design online, here are basic kitchen layouts to consider:
* L-Shaped Kitchen - this is the most popular kitchen design. It consists of a long leg and a shorter one and this type of design can be used in small and large kitchens. The L-shaped kitchen gives you the possibility of having a center island depending on the space available. In general, this design will have 2 or 3 appliances on one wall. The usual arrangement is to have the refrigerator at one end, the range or cooktop at the other end with the sink located in the middle. This shape of kitchen generally provides good traffic flow.
* Double L-Shaped Kitchen - this kitchen design has a lot of cabinet space and plenty of counter space. This design is used in large kitchens with two cooks, and it has two or more entering areas, which can cause traffic flow problems. To avoid some of these problems, create two separate working areas on each L of the kitchen so that work flow does not get interrupted by human traffic.
* U-Shaped Kitchen - this kitchen design online shape has three walls instead of two, and the sink usually is located in the middle wall section. The refrigerator and range or cooktop are usually on the side walls opposite each other. The U-shaped kitchen design gives room for ample countertop space, and you have three walls for cabinets and appliances. This kitchen layout tends to create a working triangle that is very efficient.
The working triangle for the U-shaped kitchen should be around 26 feet or less. The only problem with this type of kitchen design online is that sometimes the two U corners are not used appropriately. Make sure you buy the appropriate storage items for the corner cabinets created by the U shape design. The U shape design can also create dark kitchens because of the shape and the quantity of cabinets. Using skylights, large windows, lots of under-cabinet task lighting and light colors will help keep the kitchen bright with sufficient light to see what you're doing.
* G-Shaped Kitchen - this type of kitchen shape is becoming very popular, and it gives you a fourth wall to use. The G-shape can be used if you have more than one cook in the house. This fourth wall section can be used for a counter, island and storage space. With this kitchen layout you can have two sinks, perhaps two cooktops or two ranges. You could have two working triangles -- one for sink, cook top or range and refrigerator and a second working triangle with another sink, built-in grill and cooktop. It allows two cooks to do different things at the same time and entertain large groups of people.
* Single-Wall Kitchen - if you do not have much space, you may only be able to have an I-shaped kitchen. No problem. Just be sure the sink is placed between the refrigerator and the stove. Locate the refrigerator so that the refrigerator door opens away from the kitchen sink. This is a very common arrangement for small kitchen design online where narrow spaces exists.
* Galley-Shaped Kitchen - this type of kitchen design is more common in apartments or in homes where space is limited. It is often called the corridor style. The kitchen cabinets and the appliances can be located on opposite walls for better work flow. Place the range or cooktop on one side of the kitchen along one wall and the refrigerator and sink on the opposite wall.
To eliminate traffic issues in this type of kitchen design online, one entry is often closed off. This type of layout should only be used by one cook. If you want to maintain both exits, place the refrigerator near the end of the galley kitchen for easy access. This way, your family and friends can reach the refrigerator without interfering with the person who is cooking.
If you need extra storage in the galley kitchen, install tall kitchen cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. Wall storage is crucial. Buy a stepladder to use when you need to reach the upper shelf of the cabinets, and place the items you use less frequently on the upper shelves.
By understanding the kitchen work triangle concept and how you want your kitchen to function, you'll be more likely to create the kind of kitchen design online you've always wanted. Today, kitchens are often viewed as the hub of the home as well as a social center for family and friends. Planning your kitchen and doing kitchen design online can be a challenge, but the rewards you'll receive are very much worth the time and effort.
Copyright 2005 InfoSearch Publishing
Read more about how to design a kitchen online that's right for you at kitchen design online. David Buster is webmaster of http://www.yourdreamloghome.com and VP of InfoSearch Publishing - visit the website and learn more about home decorating and remodeling, bathroom design and décor tips, home plans, storage, fireplaces, log cabin rentals and more.
If You Want to Bring Your Bathroom Up to Date, Consider Fitting a Shower Stall
Modern shower stalls look sleek and stylish. If you have the space, adding a shower stall in addition to your bathtub can be a great way to improve your bathroom.
Rustic Stone House Signs
You may own a remarkably constructed, attractive house that is perfect from every angle. The outside of the house is designed to demand a second look from anyone passing by.
The Benefits Of Wooden Flooring
They're affordable and come in a wide variety of styles and colors. They're easy to install and maintain.
Make Your Home Secure
The following list offers some inexpensive ways to make your home secure:* Do not leave a ladder outside of your home. A thief could easily, and they do, gain entrance to a second story window.
What to Know Before Signing a Home Improvement Contract
It is important to be a very careful consumer when it comes to home improvement contractors. For instance, I had a case where my client, an elderly and blind woman, signed a contract and paid $30,000.
Buying Replacement Windows
While most buyers of double glazing are looking for replacement windows to help reduce their energy costs, or because their old windows are rattling in their frames, there's a whole class of buyers who are 'trading up' - replacing perfectly good window frames for the sake of having the windows they want. They may be looking to replace all of their windows with a different style, or trying to restore their home to its architectural period.
Using Colors in Your Room
Colors play an important part in your Home Decor process. Colors are what give life and personality to your room.
The Great American Dream
Are you ready to starting building your dream home. House plan designs are abundant and easy to customize.
Styles And Varieties Of Locking Mailboxes For Sale
Locking mailboxes made from durable, weatherproof materials are highly desirable due to the built in safety features and the long-lasting exterior. Your mail will arrive safely and be waiting for you upon your return when you purchase and install a locking mailbox on your property.
5 Questions To Ask Before Starting Any Home Improvement Project
1. What experience does your contractor have with this type of project?How much experience does the home improvement contractor have in doing projects like yours? Does s/he specialize in this type of project, or will s/he be using your home as a learning project? Typically, contractors who have done several projects like yours will have a better idea of the actual costs and production issues involved in your project.
How to build an energy-efficient home
There are just a few important things to know and to remember, when building an energy-efficient home. These are; insulation, air intrusion, thermal mass, and that windows and holes in the wall of the house lose about the same amount of energy.
Small Cabin Plans - Finding a Great Log Cabin Plan Online
Small cabin plans - how do you find that special log cabin plan that is just right for you? Before the internet, you would buy some cabin plans books and look through the plans to see if any appealed to you. If you found one, you could order the log cabin plan you wanted by telephone or mail.
Interior Design For Children
Interior design for children is one of the most fun, delightful aspects of the business if you ask me. It is so fun because children are limitless as far as their creativity and imaginations are concerned.
How To Artify Your Home
Would you like to make your house feel more like a home? Is it comfortable enough, but not really special? If so, I have some easy 'arty' tips to make your environment that bit more special.Before you start making any alterations, or adding anything, you need to clean and declutter.
Planning Permission Tips Uk - How To Select A Property to Extend or Develop
Many people purchasing a property for their main home actually look for a property with a view to extending it. This is a very common theme that I have come across time and time again.
How To Know If Interior Design Is Right for You
Have you ever seen a beautiful house or office building and wondered who did the work? Have you ever wished that you could do some of the work that you've seen elsewhere? Many people wonder what it would be like to be an Interior Designer, but they rarely ever go beyond thinking about it.If you really want to know if Interior Design is right for, this book will be your comprehensive guide to the ins and outs of the business.
Duct Cleaning - Proper Principals and Practices
As a qualified duct cleaning contractor I have discovered that most homeowners feel that they are very uninformed when it come to the principals and practices of proper air duct cleaning hygiene.Let me begin by saying that the EPA as well as the National air duct cleaners association have stated that residential duct cleaning should take no less than between 4 and 8 hours to complete, anything short of that and you are probably not getting a thorough job.
Tips for Choosing Log Furniture
If you just love that rustic look, and are finally ready to finally buy log furniture for your home, there are a number of "rules of thumb" that can help you in making good choices.Begin by considering the overall style of your home.
Cork Flooring Is The Best Option Around For Durability And Aesthetic Value
It is inevitable, almost everyone no matter how long they have lived in their house, wants to replace their flooring at some point. Do you have carpet that is covered in pet stains, juice, coffee or wine stains? Carpet gets matted down and shows wear patterns quickly.
Feng Shui Your Home, Work and Life For Balance and Harmony
Feng Shui describes the communication that takes place every day between you and your environment, be it your home, garden or work. This discipline investigates the universal feelings and reactions of human beings to all environments, including our world.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !