List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Outdoor Decks - Understanding Seven Elements of Good Deck Design
You're all comfortable in your favorite lounge chair, reading your latest novel with a cool beverage nearby...the aroma of your favorite BBQ drifting from the grill teases everyone...catching a few rays of sunshine never felt better. Warm weather calls us outdoors, and what better place to enjoy life than your deck!
As an extension of your home, a deck can provide an attractive outdoor area that you can enjoy every time the weather allows. Whether just hanging out and lounging, entertaining or playing with your kids or pet, a well-designed deck can be a favorite part of your home. Understanding important deck design and planning considerations will help your deck become a successful project.
Here are some considerations for having the deck that's right for your home:
1. Where should your deck be placed? A characteristic of good deck design is when the deck can merge into the environment of your backyard without being obtrusive and highly visible. If you're fortunate and have a great view, take advantage of the view and locate the deck to enjoy it. If you don't have a spectacular view, perhaps your deck could be located near a beautiful garden tree. Maybe you want your deck in a shady area or with a sunny southern exposure. Is privacy from neighbors an issue? Are you near a busy street and is noise a problem? If so and if your space is limited, consider the use of shrubbery, walls or fences to resolve the problem.
2. Will the deck be connected to your home? If you are considering placing your deck near the living room, doing so could be a problem if foot traffic will soil your carpets and disrupt anyone that is watching TV or talking. Placing the deck next to the kitchen will make it easier to move food and dishes back and forth when eating outside on the deck. Use sliding glass doors to make the outdoors look even more inviting from the kitchen. Would having two doors connecting different rooms to the deck be a possibility? Having two doors accessing the deck will be the most efficient and best solution for easy foot traffic flow.
3. Do you want a destination deck? The deck doesn't have to be built connected to your house; it can be a place to go all by itself. If your backyard extends to woods, maybe locating the deck near some beautiful trees makes sense. If your property fronts a pond or lake, what about locating your deck so that it reaches out into the water? If you have a flat roof, say, over a garage -- what about a roof deck? The possibilities are endless!
4. How will your deck be used? If your property is small and you're not expecting to entertain large groups, you likely don't need a huge deck. Your deck should maintain a reasonable scale between your home and property size, size of your family and the deck size. You should not have a small house, small property and a very large deck. The elements should be proportional. You should not build a small deck if you have a large house on large property.
5. Are you considering dividing your deck into different areas? For example, you could have an area for lounging, sunning or reading and another area for dining, entertaining and cooking. Involve your family and make a list of the activities you would like to have. You may want to include a section for children's games and playtime. Have a good idea of how traffic will flow on the deck and in your backyard. Understand how family, friends and pets will be walking from the front of the house to the backyard, from the garage to the kitchen, from the greenhouse or tool shed to the garden and so on. If you are going to have a deck area for relaxation, you don't want all the traffic coming out of the house to merge into this area.
6. What shape deck is best for your home? When designing your deck, consider using a variety of shapes. Keep it simple, but don't be afraid to add an angle or two to the deck design. For example, add curves or diagonal lines to connect two rectangular or square spaces for the deck plan. Connect the different sections with paths, paving surfaces, stairways, arbors, gazebos or perhaps a water pond. Consider using planters or flower pots with attractive plants, overhead structures or trellises, benches and steps to create a transition between areas in the backyard. If you're not a good gardener, you can still create a low maintenance landscape by using shrubs and other easy-to-care-for plants. Formal landscapes are more symmetrical and use geometric patterns and straight lines. Informal styles use more asymmetry and more curves -- wooden decks are often associated with an informal setting.
7. Do you hire a deck designer, do you use deck plans or do you design the deck yourself? Consider using deck plans if you can find plans that you like. One of the best ways to simplify deck building is to use deck plans that have been successfully built before. If you need to make some modifications to suit your needs and home, doing so will likely be cheaper than creating deck plans from the beginning. Unless you live in a very rural area, you will need to check with your local building department to find out what requirements and restrictions exist in your area, especially if you are designing and building the deck yourself. If you're not comfortable with the process, consider hiring a professional deck designer and a deck contractor.
Done correctly, building a deck will provide countless hours of enjoyment for you, your family and friends as well as increase the value of your home. After all, isn't enjoying our time off why we work so hard? Visit Building Wooden Decks and learn more about creating the perfect deck for you and your home.
Copyright 2005 InfoSearch Publishing
David Buster is Vice-President of InfoSearch Publishing and webmaster of http://www.yourdreamloghome.com - visit the website to learn more about home decorating and remodeling, backyard living, home plans, kitchen and bathroom design and décor tips, home storage, fireplaces, log cabin rentals and more. Receive the free online newsletter by going to Better Home Ideas Newsletter to subscribe.
Planning Permission Tips UK: The Value of Design Statements When Submitting a Planning Application
Painting and Decorating Tile
Ceramic tile can be beautiful and elegant. But it can also be bland and uninspired.
How To Choose Wall Mount Outdoor Mailboxes
Sturdy wallmount outdoor mailboxes are no longer available in just standard sizes and colors. You can find a wide assortment of wall mount outdoor mailboxes for the outside of your home in many colors, textures, and materials.
Laminate Flooring Advantages
DurabilityBecause it's designed with a tough and durable wear layer, laminate flooring is much stronger than most installed solid hardwood flooring, carpets and vinyls, it's more resistant to scratches than softer surfaces (solid hardwood floors for eg.) and is one of the best choices for households with heavy foot traffic, kids, or pets.
How To Buy Double Glazing In The UK
Double glazing reduces heat loss through your windows. You can save money on your heating bills.
Make Your Hardwood Floors Shine
You have just installed hardwood flooring in your home. Now what? How do you keep your hardwood floors clean and shiny? Read the following Q&A in which two hardwood floor owners are asking just that.
Remodeling Your Kitchen Cabinets
While remodeling your kitchen, install only the essential cabinets, so you can spend on quality rather than quantity. Look for durability, and specify plywood panels rather than particleboard.
Rustic Stone House Signs
You may own a remarkably constructed, attractive house that is perfect from every angle. The outside of the house is designed to demand a second look from anyone passing by.
The Mighty Dust Mite and How To Deal With It
A Closer Examination of the Dust MiteThe dust mite's mouth parts are grouped in front of the body, resembling a head. Their body is oval and covered with fine striations.
Are Your Ducts Making You Sick?
If you have a heating or cooling systems that uses air ducts, you could have a problem.There are many duct systems that are poorly designed and installed that have the ability to bring pollutants into your home.
Warm & Toasty Outdoors with Patio Heaters
The Heat is On with Patio Heaters Any outdoor lover will tell you that the right patio heater will allow you to extend your love of the open-air life all year round. A 15-20 foot circle of heat can easily increase the outside temperature by 10-25 degrees Fahrenheit and that makes all the difference between having to stay inside and eating out.
Seeing the Light
Lighting"Light has illuminated the path of humanity" - While Einstein was probably referring to one of his mind-blowing theories, lighting has also revolutionized the home. Before incandescent and fluorescent lighting, most activities stopped after dusk.
Change The Style Of Your Interior With A Minimum Of Costs
The style of your interior depends for a great part on the decoration on the walls. Using the right picture on the right place can make your room look bigger.
11 Tips for Stripping Wallpaper: How to Get Rid of Ugly Wallpaper!
I broke my promise to myself and stripped wallpaper again. The only reason I did this is for $100,000 profit.
Tuscan Style Decorating For The Kitchen
A Tuscan decorating theme can put some old world charm into your kitchen and make it a warm homey room to gather in. The Tuscan style incorporates warm earth tones along with natural materials and architectural accents to create a time worn look.
Interior Design For Children
Interior design for children is one of the most fun, delightful aspects of the business if you ask me. It is so fun because children are limitless as far as their creativity and imaginations are concerned.
Buying Replacement Windows
While most buyers of double glazing are looking for replacement windows to help reduce their energy costs, or because their old windows are rattling in their frames, there's a whole class of buyers who are 'trading up' - replacing perfectly good window frames for the sake of having the windows they want. They may be looking to replace all of their windows with a different style, or trying to restore their home to its architectural period.
Fire Hazard Alert - Is Your Dryer Ready to Ignite
In recent years there has been many stories about dryers catching on fire. Should we be concerned? Yes of course.
Planning Permission Tips UK - Conservatories - Dispelling a Myth
It's now well into the new year and the residential development scene has got off to a good start again. All this talk about 'slow down' certainly hasn't affected peoples desire to improve rather than move.
How to Finance a New Kitchen?
Want to improve the look of your property? Want to add value to your property?Been dreaming of a brand new kitchen? Do not have readily available cash to pay for it?Are you planning an extension to your home, a new kitchen, would you like to have double glazing, a new conservatory, patio, or a new heating system, or are you undertaking the general up keep of your home but finding it hard to pay for?Why not consider a Home Improvement Loan. Make the dream become reality with a UK Home Improvement Loan.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !