List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Home Automation Enhances Your Lifestyle and Saves Money - Exciting Home Automation Applications
Wouldn't it be nice to have your home take care of things for you, automatically, without you having to lift a finger? You bet it would. That is the promise of home automation. There are many different systems, especially in larger homes, that can benefit from being integrated. Some of these systems include security alarm, HVAC, audio / video, and lighting. Home automation integrates these systems together, enabling them to function more efficiently, improve functionality, conserve resources and enhance your lifestyle.
That's the name of the game; an enhanced lifestyle. Everyone can benefit from a better life and modern electronic systems can help provide it. In addition, as the cost of resources continues to rise and the price of electronics continues to fall, home automation systems will prove to be even more cost effective. The combination of the modern consumer's thirst for convenience and increasing economic advantages will propel home automation more into the mainstream.
So, what are some of the fun things a home automation system can do for you? Here are some common applications:
1) As you pull up the driveway you press a button on your key-fob remote. The security system disarms and a path is lit from the garage to the kitchen. Your favorite music comes on in the kitchen and family room. Five minutes after you arrive home the lights in your mudroom and garage hall turn off.
2) As you leave, you arm the security system into away mode using your key-fob remote. Your lights turn off throughout the house, saving you from going around turning off different lights throughout the home. Your blinds close. Your music turns off. If you have forced-air heat, it is set back. All from one button press.
3) Set whole house scenes for different events to include lighting, music, HVAC, and security. Example: A) An entertainment scene would have the lights set to the "entertain" preset, the security system off, the music to the appropriate party play list, and the HVAC set-back a few degrees to compensate for the added body heat from the additional people in the house. B) The "Holiday" scene could run concurrently with other scenes and turn the Christmas lights on and play the Holiday music play list through the outside speakers.
4) Different lighting scenes can be preset for different events such as entertaining, away, coming home, etc. This is excellent to recall favorite lighting levels automatically. It also avoids you having to go throughout the home and set dimmer levels. Dimming lights saves considerable energy and dramatically extends the life of light bulbs. An incandescent light at 90% will last almost twice as long as the same light at 100%.
5) Motion-activated lighting automatically turns on the bathroom lights to 25% if you get up between 12:00 midnight and 5:00am, avoiding harsh light on your still sleepy eyes. If you walk out of your bedroom door late at night, a path is lit to the kitchen for you at 35%.
6) You get an email notifying you if your security system is tripped or disarmed. This is great for knowing when kids get home after school or alerting you to problems when you are away from home. E-mail and pager alerts can be used for a variety of conditions that may need monitoring such as low fuel-oil, occupancy or motion in certain areas, or water leaks in the mechanical or utility room.
7) Skylights automatically close in response to rain and/or wind.
8) If upstairs windows are open, the heat in those rooms is disabled to avoid wasting energy and a message is displayed on the home's touch panels to alert you.
9) Weather information can be displayed on the home's touch panels. If the wind speed increases to beyond 50mph, protective shutters can be activated over the windows.
10) Motorized window treatments can be lowered automatically in response to direct sunlight. This prevents fading of valuable furniture, carpets and artwork. It also reduces interior heating, reducing AC expenditures.
11) You phone from your car while returning from a ski trip to ensure your hot tub is warmed up and ready to jump in immediately upon your return.
These are just a sample of different home automation applications commonly used to enhance lifestyles, save money and conserve resources. The possibilities are almost endless, limited only by your budget and imagination.
Steve Faber has almost 15 years in the custom installation industry. He is a CEDIA certified designer and Installer 2 with certifications from both the ISF and THX. His experience spans many facets of the industry, from the trenches as an installer and control systems programmer, and system designer, to a business unit director for a specialty importer of high end audio video equipment, a sales rep for a large, regional consumer electronics distributor, and principal of a $1.5M+ custom installation firm. Steve is currently is senior sales engineer for Digital Cinema Design, a CEDIA member firm in Redmond, WA. He is on the web at http://www.1touchmovie.com
Buyers Guide For Copper MailBoxes
Mailboxes crafted from copper give you traditional elegance and extraordinary quality. Copper mailboxes will never rust or go out of style.
This Is Why People Should Consider Granite Countertops
Granite countertops are among the most beautiful things you can add to your kitchen. Kitchen countertops gain a beautiful glow from these pieces of art.
Do-it-Yourself Roofing, Is It Advisable? Some Tips and Guidelines
Many do-it-yourselfers pride themselves in their handiwork, you can just see their garages filled to the brim with tools for those all around jobs. But ask any of them, installing roofs or repairing them is an unexciting and trying job, but someone has got to do it.
Chimney Cap Checklist: Four Quick Ways to Evaluate Your Existing Chimney Cap
While you are cleaning leaves out of your home's gutters, dealing with Christmas lights, or adjusting a satellite dish, don't forget to check on your chimney caps while you're on the roof. Chimney caps are those mesh-sided enclosures (usually made of stainless steel, copper, or galvanized steel) atop your chimney to prevent water, animals, bird droppings, and leaves from entering your home.
Planning Permission Tips UK - Free Design Advice In The UK - How And Where To Get It
Isn't it funny how people shelve projects for the new year - perhaps the new year feels like a fresh canvas or something - I don't know. Many potential clients I saw in Q4 of last year our now coming through as confirmed commissions - it's a funny old world with no rhyme or reason.
If You Want to Bring Your Bathroom Up to Date, Consider Fitting a Shower Stall
Modern shower stalls look sleek and stylish. If you have the space, adding a shower stall in addition to your bathtub can be a great way to improve your bathroom.
Electric Radiant and Floor Coverings
If the decision of what type radiant heating system to use was left to the floor-coverings, it would choose electric radiant. Eliminating the risk of water/glycol leaks, standard floor-heights, simple retro-fits, almost unlimited choice of carpet padding, uniform heat flux, easier installations and superior floor or space temperature control are only a few of the advantages of electric radiant heat.
How to build an energy-efficient home
There are just a few important things to know and to remember, when building an energy-efficient home. These are; insulation, air intrusion, thermal mass, and that windows and holes in the wall of the house lose about the same amount of energy.
Wholesale Vinyl Flooring Is Perfect For Wherever You Need It
Wholesale vinyl flooring is the perfect solution for people who are looking for flooring that is inexpensive, good looking, and made with high quality. Wholesale vinyl flooring is designed specifically for use in commercial, general and civil aviation applications and facilities, and it contains a hidden Tuff-SealŪ interlock system and is backed by a five-year warranty.
Create a Luxurious Laundry Room
Give your home a luxurious feel with a beautiful laundry room. Even if you hate doing the laundry, you cannot deny that there IS a certain amount of satisfaction from transforming a bunch of dirty things into fresh and fragrant clothes! Put these items in your laundry room and feel the difference!-a few plants-adequate shelving-a rug or piece of carpet to stand on-an ironing area-large folding table-music-framed art or prints-a pretty dish to catch clutter and extraneous pocketed items-a trash can (continually clean the lint from the dryer)-GOOD LIGHTING, lamps, etc.
Heres How To Know Which Kitchen Design Is Right For You
Kitchen design is a sea of opportunity filled with potential. Color schemes, wallpaper and other aesthetic additions will make up the design portion of your kitchen.
Wood Panels and Humidity
Coping with wood movementAll wood workers need to be aware of wood movement when building furniture projects. Failure to consider this important factor can cause wood panels to crack or split.
A Carefully Planned Outdoor Kitchen is Worth the Investment
Do you have any idea how popular outdoor kitchens are becoming? We spend more time at home than ever before and we are fixing up those homes instead of buying new. Homeowners are opting for an outdoor kitchen over other types of remodeling projects because they extend the size of their living space.
How to Deal With Contractors
Not everyone is aware of how to deal with contractors. Imagine that your Home Improvement Loan has been granted.
Breaking the Mold - Creative Boys Bedrooms
Decorating boys bedrooms with licensed characters and themes is an easy but expensive option. While most children do have a preferred character or theme that they would enjoy having in their rooms, there are more affordable ways to achieve a similar desired result.
Five Easy Ways to Give Your Kitchen Designer Wow!
A beautiful kitchen is the heart of any home (even for those of us who spend most of our cooking time around the microwave!) Time spent together in the kitchen can bring a family closer together and make wonderful memories (although my own memories of doing dishes as a teenager are less than pleasant - something about dishwater being *disgusting!*) Turning your plain kitchen into something special isn*t as hard as you might think. Here are a few simple ideas which can make your kitchen a designer showcase.
Bring Out the Comforters for Back to School
If the weather is turning chilly it must time for the kids to go back to school. Bring out the comforters, flannel bed linens, quilts and stadium blankets.
The Benefits of Small Dehumidifiers
So it's too humid in your 10' X 10' bedroom. Or perhaps the steam in your bathroom is starting to make the wallpaper peel.
Thinking of Remodeling Your Kitchen?
If you like to cook, or even if you just do it from necessity, having a homely, organized, and modern kitchen is probably important to you. Although, the traditionally kitchens are still out there, there are so many new, modern elements that can add luxury and class and convenience to any home.
Simple Way to Get More Heat from Your Fireplace
For some people, a fireplace might as well be a video of flaming logs. Their primary interest is the welcoming ambiance a fireplace's blaze presents.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !