List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Top Ten Remodeling Tips
My husband and I just completed our first remodel. It was a period renovation of a Victorian Gingerbread Craftsman. (I'm so thrilled I can talk about it in the past tense). We haunted architectural salvage houses for just the right windows, bid on eBay for period-correct light fixtures, spent an entire afternoon driving all over L.A. for a screw that they stopped making in the thirties and generally worked to the point of insanity. Tiptoed up to the line but never crossed it.
So here, ripped from the headlines so to speak, are my Top Ten Tips for Remodeling. Read 'em and weep.
1. There is a solution to every situation. But it's not necessarily yours. You go where the solution is - it doesn't come to you.
2. There is no medicine for whatever ails you quite like hard, exhausting, purposeful work.
3. Chew your own food. Don't make your problems other peoples. They've got their own.
4. I'm not psychic. Maybe you are. Guesstimates of time and money are just that. Reality has a way of intruding. When in doubt - go with Reality. (I don't know when I'm going to die either).
5. Pain fades with time. Remodeling is like giving birth. When you're in the middle of delivery you swear you'll never do it again. But then the kid turns out to be a looker, a few years go by.....Yadda yadda yadda - you're in escrow.
6. There are no problems - only opportunities for creativity, action and collaboration.
7. You're born alone, you die alone - you don't have to win alone. Everyone can win. Some win more than others but there's enough in the pot to spread around. If you squeeze a vendor to bid a job so low that they can't make money, harbor resentment and cut corners - you both lose.
8. Nobody owes you anything. If they help you it's because they're generous people. Acknowledge them.
9. Everything comes to an end. And then it starts up again.
10. Remodeling really is like Improv. You show up without a script. You have no idea what's going to happen next ( except you can be sure that whatever you think it'll be - you're wrong). You're dependent on others for their performances. So help them shine. You make it work by paying attention to everything and dealing with whatever Reality presents to you. Do the best you can with the resources you have and don't forget to enjoy the ride.
11. Okay, I lied. There are more than Ten Tips to Remodeling. There are actually thousands. This last one, though, is the most important. Don't forget to put yourself on your own Punch List. No pressure of work or money is reason enough not to eat right,sleep enough, monitor your health and appreciate your family.
Mary Rosendale is a Certified Life Coach, Author, Speaker and serial remodeler. Visit her on the web at http://www.TheConstructedLife.com and sign up for her one-of-a-kind newsletter.
Georgian And Victorian Style Conservatories
Georgian Conservatories Georgian architecture was the style of the 18th century, especially from the reign of King George I who ascended the throne in 1711, into the reign of King George IV. Design and architecture of the Georgian period naturally flowed from British styling for many decades in advance of the period.
How To Choose The Right Home Water Filters and Water Purifiers For Your Needs
When it comes to home water filters and water purifiers, consumers have many choices. You can choose from leading name brands such as Brita, Culligan, PUR, and Braun.
What You Should Know About Laminate Flooring
Laminate flooring imitates the aspect of traditional wood. Their biggest advantage is that they are very easy to install and very durable.
Choosing Color Schemes: Colors and Physiological Response
Because colors have tremendous emotional impact, understanding how color affects human beings can help you create a harmonious, joyful home. But studies have also shown that color elicits physiological responses, as well.
Used But Not Used Up
Some DIY Maintence will put Used tools back in Main Stream Operation:Professional grade tools are made to withstand long hours of use and abuse. Many home shops have a number of Professional grad tools but for the most part most home shops have tools that are some what less in quality.
Interior Design Simply Means Personalizing Your Interior Environment
Interior Design today is all about customizing your built environment with conceptual planning, aesthetic sense and technical solutions applied to achieve the desired result. It goes beyond just the visual or ambient enhancement of an interior space, it seeks to optimize and harmonize the uses to which the built environment will be put.
Air Sanders: Forget Electric, Go Air!
An air sander is a common air tool often overlooked by most people. If you already have an air compressor to run your impact wrench, you may consider purchasing an air sander instead of an electric model.
Vintage Labels on Marble Tiles
It's refreshing to note that gone are the days that countertops and backsplashes have to match. There are no decorating rules.
How I Got A Robot To Vacuum The House
Like most people I really hated to vacuum the house. I thought anyone who enjoyed vacuuming was close to insanity.
Unique and Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas
Everyone can use more organization in their lives (except those misguided souls who alphabetize their spices, canned goods and color-coordinate their laundry supplies!). Additional wall storage can help bring that organization into your home.
The Best Way To Clean Carpet?
What is the absolute best way to clean carpet? Carpet manufacturers are almost unanimous. The best way is to use hot-water extraction, also called steam cleaning.
Single hung aluminum window glass repair
Let's talk about repairing broken glass in an aluminum frame single hung window. If it's the lower sash pane that is broken, it must be removed from the inside.
Selecting Color Schemes
Choosing a color scheme for a room can be a daunting task at times, especially if nothing about the room initially jumps out at you. If you find yourself without a particular color preference for a room, you might begin by picking color combinations that are inspired by a favorite fabric pattern.
Creating Your Joyful Home: Dawning of Your Emotions
"I keep the subject of my inquiry constantly before me, and wait till the first dawning opens gradually, by little and little, into a full and clear light."-Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727)Creating a joyful home requires careful planning in order to choose the perfect interior design details.
Selling Houses: Payback of Window Treatments
If you're planning to show your home mainly during daylight hours, think about your selling season, market conditions, and the benefits of window treatments. Window treatment tips from innovative Design Psychology can help you sell your home for more money.
How to Finance a New Kitchen?
Want to improve the look of your property? Want to add value to your property?Been dreaming of a brand new kitchen? Do not have readily available cash to pay for it?Are you planning an extension to your home, a new kitchen, would you like to have double glazing, a new conservatory, patio, or a new heating system, or are you undertaking the general up keep of your home but finding it hard to pay for?Why not consider a Home Improvement Loan. Make the dream become reality with a UK Home Improvement Loan.
Window Shutters On A Budget
While there is great value in installing custom-made interior wood window shutters, sometimes they are still too expensive for certain applications. Some alternatives - including poly or vinyl shutters - are less expensive but also much less attractive.
Vinyl Replacement Window Terminology
With so many homeowners in the market for more energy efficient windows and doors for their home, I thought I would use this week's article to cover the more common terms used to describe a window's ability to insulate your home from the elements. There is an organization called The National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC).
Professional Asphalt Paving Contractors In California
Choosing an asphalt paving contractor can be a major event if you don't take cautionary measures to ensure proper work to be conducted. First, you must review your service provider's credentials and make sure that they have a well known history of success in the asphalt paving industry.
Beautiful, Sparkling Chandeliers!
If you want to add extra spark to rooms, consider adding chandeliers to the rooms. Chandeliers offer added elegance and charm as well as light.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !