List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips for Senior Drivers
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don't have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific 'Senior Discounts' While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Reprints of this article are allowed (and encouraged) for your site or newsletter with inclusion of a simple link to http://www.hometownquotes.com.
Matt McWilliams is one of the co-founders of HometownQuotes.Com, an online insurance quotes web site. He is originally from Pinebluff, NC and attended Middle Tennessee State University in 2002. He is considered an expert in the field of online insurance shopping and finding new ways to help consumers save money on their insurance. For more information visit http://www.hometownquotes.com
Affordable Health Insurance - Health Insurance For The Self Employed
One of the things that is important to consider when you leave corporate America for the freedom of your own business is affordable health insurance. In fact, the reason most often cited for NOT taking the plunge into self-employment is the lack of cheap health insurance alternatives for people who are not employed by a company that can offer more affordable rates on health insurance through a group health insurance plan.
Sleep-At-Night Coverage With A Private Health Insurance ( Affordable Health Insurance )
Health Insurance: a sense of dissatisfactionThe three C's, customization, consumerization and customer-satisfaction, seem to be at the core of the business mantra for every service provider. The health insurance provider industry is no exception to this rule.
Senior Life Settlement-Uses and Applications
In a recent article in the National Underwriter (April, 2005) a Senior Life Settlement is depicted as an ingenious financial planning option available to consumers by providing access to secondary life insurance market through life insurance valuation - a new trend, tool in the financial advisory services industry unlocking opportunity for many.Sound investment practices require diligence and regular appraisal and valuation of assets.
The Many Benefits of Travel Protection Plans
Many people purchase insurance thinking I want full coverage and once I get it I will be covered for every event that may befall my vehicle. But then they begin to question if every type of incident is covered with full coverage.
Japanese Overseas Travel Insurance
If you are an expatriate planning on long-term residence in Japan you can, after a one-year stay, become a part of Japan's national health program. Until that time, however, you're going to need Japanese overseas travel insurance.
Mortgage Life Insurance
Owning a home is a dream for most of us, although it is an expensive one. The monthly payments usually take up a big slice of our monthly income, and the sudden loss in the event of you or your spouse's early death may leave your survivors unable to make payments.
Know Your Own Worth: A Practical Insight Into Covering Up
Almost anything can be insured these days: breasts, legs, your goldfish, your mental health, physical health, your own life, your child's life. You can insure against the bad weather, good weather, political events?.
How To Take The Guesswork Out Of Buying Term Life Insurance
Protecting your family is the single most important thing any individual can plan for during his or her life. Buying life insurance can be confusing, and a frustrating process.
The Life Insurance Plan Online
Thank goodness the internet age has arrived helping us to find a life insurance plan online. Manually quoting policies was very time consuming and frankly discouraged the broadest recommendations because of so much work involved.
Alternate Risk Transfer (ART) - Insurance Strategies
Risk ManagementAlternate Risk Transfer is a fancy way of saying alternate methods of insurance and risk management, of which there are many. From the most basic alternative of going without insurance (self-insuring) to so-called "program business captives", there are a wide variety of strategies from which to choose.
How Much Renters Insurance Do I Need?
When obtaining renter's insurance it is important to put serious consideration into how much insurance you really need to buy. Some things you may want to consider when making this decision include whether or not you can afford to re-purchase everything in your home in the event that disaster strikes.
Choosing Affordable Health Insurance For Children
In most cases, private health insurance comes through a person's employer, who picks up the majority of the cost of premiums. However, today many people, who are either self-employed or who work for a company that doesn't offer health insurance, find it necessary to obtain quality affordable health insurance for children.
Cheap Car Insurance
Finding good car insurance can be very difficult. Here are a few tips: Try a few different insurance companies.
Poor call centre performances driving motorists online for insurance
In their efforts to cut costs more and more finance companies are looking to use offshore call centres to provide their customer services and administration. This is especially prevalent in the insurance industry, where it seems as if there is a newspaper announcement of previously UK based services migrating abroad every day.
Long-Term Care Insurance: Eldercare Solution
When I suddenly had to become a fulltime caregiver to my elderly parents, both with health problems and starting to develop dementia (namely Alzheimer's), I had never even heard of Long-Term Care Insurance. After we burned through their life savings, and then started chipping away at mine, I was advised to apply for financial assistance for them through the government's Medicaid system--a program for those at the poverty level.
Health Savings Account (HSA): Helpful for Older People?
The Health Savings Account (HSA) is an amazing tool that a lot of people have been talking about. It is meant to help you save money on insurance and make your life simpler, maybe even help you be healthier.
7 Sure-fire Ways of Reducing Your Home Insurance Premium
Home security improvement:All insurance companies will happily offer you a discount for burglar alarms and smoke detectors. Homes with fire and burglar alarms that communicate with a third party monitoring company receive a higher discount on their insurance premiums.
The Life Insurance Quote Business is Booming, but is the Insurance Quote Accurate?
The life insurance quote business online is booming. Not only are life insurance agents quoting a more diverse portfolio of companies, but consumers are also now able to quote life insurance online for themselves.
Free Money Saving Auto Insurance Tips
Our money saving auto insurance tips were written for one reason - To Save You Money on your next auto insurance policy. Since in most states you are required by law to purchase a minimum amount of liability coverage we've looked for ways to save you money.
High Deductible Health Insurance Plans For Individuals and Families
Do you pay more attention to your car than your body? You change your oil every 3000 to 4000 miles. You have your tires rotated every other oil change.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !