List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
The Ultimate Strategy for Decorating a Childs Room!
When it comes to decorating a child's room, your approach should be different from decorating an adult bedroom. That's because a child's bedroom should reflect his or her personality and not yours.
For kids, their bedroom is where they play games, read, listen to music, wrestle, display or hide prized possessions, day-dream, or just go to be alone sometimes. So try these eight strategies to help create a space that will make you both happy:
1. Talk to your child. Find out what activities and fantasies he or she enjoys; what their favorite color is; and what's unique about their personality that a theme could be built around. Then work their interests into a design that will make them feel comfortable, happy, and safe.
2. Allow your child to help. Let them have a say about colors, fabrics, and how they want to display their collectibles. The design should be flexible enough to accommodate their changing tastes, needs, and interests.
3. Make the room multi-functional. Since children use their room for many activities besides sleeping, it should have several different zones.
These could include a play area; a reading area; a space to play with friends that's equipped with a radio, CD player, and a TV/VCR; a display area with a wall or corkboard for favorite photos and artwork; and finally, a place for shelving to display collectibles, trophies, and other personal items.
4. Make storage a priority. Containing clutter will be one of your greatest challenges. Try shelving, large decorative wicker baskets, plastic see-through containers, and closets that contain plenty of shelving and racks.
5. Keep window treatments simple. Avoid long draperies. Shades, blinds, and shorter curtains are safer choices. The fabric should be versatile, and patterns should be repeated in other items in the room, such as in pillows, quilts, lampshades, bed ruffles, etc.
6. Choose the right lighting. A child's room should include both task lighting for homework and reading, and soothing light for quieter times. A nightlight is also important if your child is not comfortable in the dark, and for safety reasons, so they can find their way to the bathroom at night.
7. Use wallpaper or paint to add color and texture. You can apply whimsical borders along the top edges of the walls, and clouds or stars on the ceiling.
It might be wise to make sure the walls of childrens rooms are washable, so if you are using paint, choose a semi-gloss or gloss finish. Kids love bright colors, but you should limit any strong color to only one wall. For example, paint one wall fire-engine red, and the others a soft peach or pink.
8. Allow your child to select the design theme. The choices are endless. Here are just a few: firehouse fun room, starry night, angels, rainbows, unicorns, baseball, a bedroom for a princess, underwater scenery, outer space, race cars, airplanes, trains, jungle motifs, wizards and dragons, and dinosaurs. You can visit our new Web site for a lot more ideas!
Decorating with your child offers a great opportunity to display your playful side, while doing some memorable family bonding. So have fun with it and remember that even if your child's choice in themes seems bizarre, there's probably a way to work out a compromise.
About The Author
Vinyl Mini Blinds
Vinyl blinds are the perfect choice for high-humidity locations such as kitchens, bathrooms, or waterfront homes. Horizontal vinyl blinds with standard braided cord blinds and non-textured gloss slats are easy to clean, unbreakable and highly resistant to sun bleaching.
How to Install a Wood Stove
"There are a number of factors that must be taken into account when installing a wood stove. It is important to make sure that the stove is set on a proper type of flooring.
Using Color To Change The Size Of Your Bedroom
Did you ever wish your bedroom was bigger or smaller? Well if you don't have enough money to change the actual size of the room, then you can use paint to make the bedroom seem bigger or smaller.Paint is well known as one of the least expensive and easiest ways to change the look of any room, but if you pick your colors carefully you can give the space a new feel as well as a new look.
The Magic of Color
Deciding what colors to use when decorating your house can be a real challenge. Do you want a soothing atmosphere, vibrant or warm and cozy? The choice does not have to be complicated if you understand the workings of the theory of color.
An Introduction to Wood Stoves
Wood stoves are like small fireplaces. They are inexpensive and can be built into a home or added later.
Corner Bakers Rack: Create Extra Storage Space and Style
One of the most highly sought after pieces of furnishings for the kitchen is the baker's rack. In addition to adding that special element of style, baker's racks are also very practical in that they can be used for extra shelving, storage space and/or as a work center.
Interior Decorating and Home Decor With Inuit Art from the Arctic North
In order to help give a room a classier touch, interior decorators have used sculptures to bring in a mansion or even museum-like feel to a home. This is particularly true for the interior decorating of living rooms, dens, home offices and hallways.
Home Decorating Tips - How to Change a Rooms Dimension using Wall Pictures
The Basic Role of Pictures Wall art plays an important role in interior design as it helps create the ambience of a room. By cleverly placing wall pictures in certain ways, you can change and create a new look and feel in a room.
Latex Mattresses - Comfortable, Renewable, and Biodegradable
A latex mattress is not exactly the same thing as a memory foam bed. Latex is a naturally biodegradable sap from the rubber trees of Indonesia and Malaysia.
A Look at Bathroom Vanity Mirrors
Bathroom Vanity Mirrors are an integral component of the bathroom vanity. Mirrors are often included in vanity sets.
Psychology of Color - Decorating a Kitchen for the Subconscious
Psychologists have studied the influence of color on the mind for years. While they have not found any effects that generalize to every society, they have found that people from the same society are affected by colors in similar ways.
Home Lighting - Important but Overlooked Aspects
Home lighting is something that doesn't get the attention it deserves. There are so many TV shows that focus on home remodeling projects, and speak very little about the lighting.
A Brief History of Grandfather Clocks
Since the beginning of civilization, humans have searched for a reliable way to keep track of the time. In the earliest days, months, seasons and years were tracked by careful monitoring of the phases of the moon.
Bar Stools and Counter Stools Complete Your Space
There is something to be said about a space that has been lovingly designed down to the very last detail. Oftentimes, it is the small details, not the large pieces of furnishings, which truly tie a room together and make it work.
The Charm of Traditional Shutters
For those wanted to give their home an instant facelift, traditional shutters are a great option. Window shutters add style and grace to a house, transforming it into a warm and welcoming home.
The Advantages of Corner Kitchen Sinks
If your kitchen is U-shaped or L-shaped, a corner kitchen sink is likely to increase your efficiency as it would be equidistant from your working platforms. A corner kitchen sink may be in the form of a round bowl, a rectangle, a square or even in a triangular form.
How to Properly Clean Hardwood Floors
Good care and maintenance of a hardwood floor enhances its life and appearance. Solid hardwood floors can be easily cleaned, and a daily cleaning routine is a must in order to protect the floors from grit and dirt that are most damaging problems.
The Benefits of Vertical Wood Blinds
Wood vertical blinds, a style of wood blinds falling vertically from valance to floor. They can provide much more insulation from extreme weather conditions than traditional horizontal wood blinds because they can be opened or closed either from one of the sides or from the middle.
How to Create a Decorative Garden Window
If you have a sunny window in a room where you don't have to worry about privacy, this décor idea will provide a country home feel along with the beauty of Mother Nature's flowers.What you will need for this project:1.
Add A Little Spark To Your Bedroom With A Satin Comforter!
If you want to make your bedroom look rich and luxurious, then top your bed with a satin comforter. Not only does satin carry a certain amount of sex appeal, but it seems to be an expression of wealth and prestige as well.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !