List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Make Your Homes Style Unique With Mix and Match Decor
You see it all the time in retail discount stores: Color coordinated decor for just about anywhere in your home. And some of the designs are quite pretty. In fact, some people become obsessed by them. They're usually really cute, come in a variety of colors, shades, patterns and designs, and they just plain make decorating easy. There's no guesswork - everything is matched for you automatically. But there's also no unique style. No sense of "you" in the finished style. If you mix and match styles up a bit though, you'll end up creating something that's just right for you, your home, and your style preferences. Here are a few tips on doing that.
1. It's ok to start with a "cookie cutter" design style, pattern, or color theme you've found in a general store. These are actually great starting places for getting new decor ideas.
2. Try choosing just one or two matching items from the store. For instance, let's say you plan to decorate your bathroom in a sea green color scheme. You'll find plenty of really nice shower curtains to fit this color scheme well, so choose one you like. If you just can't resist... go ahead and get the matching accessories too, such as the toothbrush holder and soap dish.
3. Now most likely the ready made design of your shower curtain has traces of other colors mixed in. It's common for instance, to see blues, tans, yellows and oranges in a sea green coordinated bathroom set, because these colors tend to be seen when you're actually at the sea or ocean. So they compliment each other.
And this is a key decorating point: Your room colors don't have to match exactly. They should simply compliment each other. So in our sea green bathroom decor example above, it would be perfectly natural to add a set of solid tan colored towels, burnt orange wash cloths, and a throw rug with touches of blue in it. If the blue doesn't seem to fit quite right for your tastes, then try a deep forest green colored rug instead.
4. Try different color shade combinations. If you're using primarily green in the bathroom design, try both a light and dark shade as previously mentioned. Test the colors out though, because sometimes one shade doesn't sit well next to another. Sometimes you can tell this instinctively by holding two items of different shades together in the store, but other times you'll need to actually buy the items and test them in the actual room itself. Anything that doesn't quite look or feel right in the overall room design can simply be returned to the store.
5. Work with what you have. In our bathroom decor example, the shades of green might not work well if you have pink walls and aren't able to change them when you're redecorating. If you have deep, dark wood cabinets and other accessories, the darker green shades might make the room seem a bit too heavy and dark once you have all of the new decorations in place.
6. Don't be afraid to try mixing decor styles. It's ok to have a Southwestern style towel set in the same bathroom as a seaside designed shower curtain for instance, because both styles tend to use earth toned colors.
7. Last but not least: If you can't find decor styles you like at regular stores, try shopping around at yard sales and flea markets. Even if you find just one interesting or unique piece that really catches your attention - that's a place to start. You can create an entire room's unique design and decor style by simply working from the color and style of that one piece!
Remember that decorating your home is all about you. Your likes, dislikes, and lifestyle are what's most important. So be sure to inject a little bit of your own personality into the decor of your home, and your friends and family will be envious of your unique, stylish look!
© 2005, Kathy Burns-Millyard. This article is provided courtesy of The Do It Yourself Home Decorating Network - http://www.diyhomedecorating.com - a large and growing home decorating and decor website featuring articles, tips, advice, and popular home decor shopping.
A Look at Portable Dishwashers
Portable dishwashers are just the ticket for those with less than enough space for a more permanent and heavier dishwasher. They range in widths from a slim 18 inches to a maximum of about 24 inches for the "larger" portables.
Getting The Most From Your Candles
I love burning candles and have them all around the house. Long ones, short ones, fat ones, thin ones, in a plethora of colours.
Decorating With Lights and Shades
Candlestick, lamp and fixtures for electricity must accord with the lines of your architectures and furniture. The mantelpiece is the connecting link between the architecture and furnishing of a room.
Re-Using Old Picture Frames
It's fun taking something apart and putting it back together again in a new creative way. I work in an office where we had a lot of old promotional type posters that were very expensively matted and framed.
Let Your Wall Art Define You
Wall art can be defined by family portraits or historical paintings adorned on the walls of a home. In a home with young children, wall art can even be described as crayola mishaps.
Contemporary Floor Lamps - Add Functional Modern Lighting!
If you are thinking about updating the look of a room in your home consider the addition of a contemporary floor lamp. There are several types of floor lamps designed to provide decorative and task lighting to your home and any room is fair game for adding a lamp.
Roman Shades Made From Fabric
Roman shades are a simple and classic way to adorn windows. They are unobtrusive and can block a glaring sun or nosey neighbors.
Choosing Interior Doors
When it's time to decorate - whether it's for a brand new home or redecorating the family manse, one thing that's often overlooked as a 'style choice' is the interior doors. After all, a bedroom door is a bedroom door, right?And yet, the style of door that you choose can make a subtle, definitive difference throughout your home.
California King Bedding Cannot Be Interchanged With Standard King Bedding
If you are looking for a great selection of California king bedding, then you have come to the right place. There is a vast selection of online shops offering high quality California king sheet sets.
Lighting Up a Seniors Life - Baby Boomer Alert!
Lighting for seniors requires attention to some specific details. When planning a lighting design for aging baby boomers we want to provide both adequate light to see clearly and a safe environment.
Making Your Home Blossom is Easy
Having trouble getting a room in your home to have that certain charm you're looking for? Searching for that perfect painting, sculpture, or table lamp can often be time-consuming, pricey, and/or lead to fights with your spouse. But, one simple and often overlooked way to add harmony to any room is with fresh cut flowers.
Pizzazz Your Front Door and More!
Want your front door to really "sing?" Then paint it a color to make it the outside focal point of your home.Now, just what color would that be, you ask?Here's the way to know: Look at the color scheme you are using in your entry, living and dining room.
Interior Decorating and Home Decor With Native American Indian Art
Since there has been a trend in recent years towards more earthy color tones for interior decorating, Native American Indian art can fit in nicely as part of home decor. Most subjects used in Native American Indian art tend to be focused on nature whether the pieces are prints, carvings or pottery.
Bedrooms - Should Be A Safe Haven
We spend a great deal of time in our bedrooms, hopefully 8 hours, and decorating ideas for them should reflect that and be well thought out. Very few other places should capture our attention like that of the bedroom.
How to Install Bamboo Flooring
Not just food for pandas or the stuff of cheap picnic mats, bamboo is now being processed with modern techniques into beautiful "hardwood" flooring that beats standard wood floors in durability, hardness, and dimensional stability.An added bonus to these beautiful floors is the knowledge that bamboo, unlike wood, grows quickly and abundantly, reaching maturity in five years or less.
The Magic of Color
Deciding what colors to use when decorating your house can be a real challenge. Do you want a soothing atmosphere, vibrant or warm and cozy? The choice does not have to be complicated if you understand the workings of the theory of color.
Practical Feng Shui - Debunking the Myths
Most of the information that is available concerning Feng Shui is highly over-simplified. It often comes in the form of out-of-context eastern principals, mixed in with basic interior design horse sense from the west, to form a hybrid which many professional Feng Shui analysts agree can be as harmful as it is helpful.
Tabriz Persian Rugs
Tabriz are one of the most popular Persian rugs. Tabriz is the dominant city of Northwest Iran and is the second largest city in Iran.
Make The Right Choice When It Comes To Futon Frames
As you begin your search for a futon you should pay close attention to the style and frame material. There are two options for futon frames, one is a bi-fold futon frame that folds in two length-wise creating a sofa.
Decorate Yourself Happy: How to Decorate For Everyday Pleasure/Joy
Because psychologists relate true happiness to joyous occurrences happening frequently, decorating your home to promote everyday pleasure makes sense. If you're planning a home makeover, provide for the cumulative total of all the little pleasure moments.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !