List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
7 Tips for Decorating Your Childs Room
If you're not sure where to start or how best to tackle updating your child's bedroom, you're not alone. In a lot of families, the baby nursery takes a lot of planning and decorating time but there's often less thought and energy put into decorating the same child's room as they grow older.
It's common for baby toys and furniture like diaper disposals, pull toys and cribs to get removed, but other things often stay around for quite a bit longer than the growing child might wish. For instance a wall paper border with prints more suitable for your baby or young child's room, may not be as enjoyed by your now older child (or teen?!).
Here are a few tips to help you get started with decorating your child's room. The best part about this is that your child can help you do it this time around. So this can be a fun project you can do together!
1. Select a new color to paint the walls, a color that your child likes. If you have a strong objection to it, though, negotiate with perhaps a lighter version of that color, or limiting their color choice to only one wall. (Or, encourage them to put up some nice posters to lessen the wall color's impact!)
2. Mood lighting! Kids of all ages enjoy mood lighting of one sort or another. Together, select either a night light, a small novelty lamp with a low-wattage bulb, or an interesting colored or black light bulb lamp. Other lighting effects kids enjoy include disco lights, dog statues, flowers with light effects, and glow in the dark items.
3. Bedspreads. Get rid of baby blankets and exchange for favorite cartoon throws or bed covers. When they're teenagers, they might enjoy sports, frilly, or even more adult taste bed coverings.
4. Personalize something for their bureaus or their walls, with their names and/or photographs. Photos can be made into a collage. Exchange those baby and stork photo frames with an upgrade to novelty photo frames. Try one with hearts, a sports theme or a safari look, for instance. Engraved stones with your child's name or an inspirational thought and personalized acrostic poem name prints are fun and unique decor ideas that kids enjoy. Engraved name stones become long-lasting gifts and keepsakes. Acrostic name prints use the letters of your child's name to start off self-esteem enhancing phrases that can inspire your child and highlight their special talents and interests.
5. Create a comfort zone area in the room, for cuddling up cozy and reading. You can use big pillows, plush or inflatable chairs, anything your child might enjoy to sit on and relaxing in. You'll also want to conveniently have some books placed within their arm's reach. You can also place some music equipment by that area for them to enjoy. And if there's room, add an additional seating space for you. Then together you can enjoy reading, listening to music, or simply chatting with each other. If you have a teenager, they'll likely want to have another seating space for you or their friends to use.
6. Together with your child, agree upon a wall paper border that you can use to decorate their room with. This idea can be in addition to or used instead of painting their room. Adding or changing a wall paper border can be a very simple and quick way to change the look and feel of your child's room.
7. And... here's an interesting idea my daughter suggested when I asked her for suggestions about decorating a child's room ... (I simply had to share this intriguing idea with you!) She said, "tell them to get an extra thick room door so you don't hear your kids fighting!"
Can you tell that she shares her room with her sister and something about the noise level in their room at times?
Hmmm... she might have a good idea there after all!
Liz Hekimian-Williams is founder of Giftsprings.com, a home decor and gift shop that features unique personalized gifts including engraved stones and personalized acrostic name prints, as well as novelty decor photo frames and accent lamps. To delight your child with his or her name etched in stone, you are invited to explore the personalized engraved stones available at http://www.giftsprings.com/category/estones
© 2004 by Liz Hekimian-Williams, Giftsprings.com
Permission to reprint this article is granted as long as you agree to publish it in its entirety (including author byline, resource box with active link, and copyright notice); email only to your own private mailing list of subscribers who have specifically opted-in to receive your emails; and notify the author of your usage.
Black Forest Cuckoo Clocks
Known for its harsh winters, its many local artisans, and an abundance of hard woods unique to the area, Triberg in the Black Forest is the prime location for the production of cuckoo clocks. Even today, most of the world's supply of cuckoo clocks still comes from Germany, mostly from the Black Forest area.
The Function of Hurricane Shutters
Every part of the world has its share of natural disasters. Flooding, earthquakes, monsoons and tornadoes -- most every region occasionally suffers some unpleasant or dangerous weather.
7 Tips to Care for Your Antique Furniture
During your spring cleaning, don't forget to think about your antiques. In this month's column, we'll give you seven tips to help you care for your antique furniture.
Psychology Of Colors: The Dining Room
Colors affect our minds, our physiologies, and our social interactions. The colors you choose when decorating a room can have an effect on any occasion that you hold there.
A Review of Popular Ceiling Fan Manufacturers
Nearly every residence has at least one ceiling fan. Ceiling fans are so common that many people have difficulty sleeping without one.
What You Should Know About Cheap Cuckoo Clocks
There are cuckoo clocks available for people with all kinds of decorating or collecting budgets. On Ebay you'll find cheap cuckoo clocks priced from $9.
How to Wash a Down Comforter
Few things are as comforting on a cold winter night as a down comforter. Soft and fluffy, down comforters are like a big hug after a long day.
Powell Furniture - Make Your Kitchen A Gourmet Kitchen
Are you looking for that special something to turn your kitchen into a room that dreams are made of? Are you tired of the everyday hum drum, and envision a gourmet kitchen that can be enjoyed by everyone in the family? If so, you can make your dreams come true with Powell furniture.The Powell brand name of furnishings is one of the most sought after brand of furnishings in the United States.
The Benefits of Massage Recliner Chairs
Massage recliner chairs are different than traditional home recliners. These innovative chairs offer a wide range of options for massages and comfort.
Redecorating with Shower Curtain Hooks
Shower curtains are a quick and inexpensive way to change the look of your bathroom. For much less than $100, you can go from plain to exceptional.
Home Décor Tips To Impress Your Friends
Step 1: Pick a motif and go with it! Don't pair your childhood bedspread with a new wrought iron bed and lace curtains. Choose colors that remind you of things you love.
Do You Need An Interior Designer?
All of us want our homes to be places of comfort and beauty. Some of us enjoy decorating and furnishing our homes and some of us don't.
Tips for Choosing a Safe Paint Color for Your Walls
Are you STILL thinking about painting your walls with color?Many people are afraid to make the leap from 'builder's beige' to a more daring color choice. What holds you back? Are you afraid the color will be too strong? Not match your furniture? Or you'll become tired of it and have to start over again?While you're debating the work involved you are missing out on one of the basic elements of design that can change the entire look of your room for under $50.
Cleaning Granite Countertops
Homeowners who are seeking to increase value to their homes enjoy the durability and easy maintenance when upgrading to granite countertops. Granite is the most durable of all stones, second only to diamonds.
Liven Up Your Walls With Decorative Plates
Decorative plates are often overlooked when decorating a home. Yet, it's the details that really make the elements of a room come together-and decorative plates are a detail present in most rooms.
A Look at Waterbed Sheet Sizes
Just like conventional beds, waterbeds come in a number of sizes. It is important to buy the appropriate size sheet for the bed, or the sheets will not fit properly and make it difficult to sleep on the bed.
Wood Mini Blinds
Wood blinds offer nature's rich, subtle colors and unique textures. They were the most widely used blinds once upon a time.
Bathroom Vanities and Cabinets Come in Many Different Styles
Modern bathroom vanities and medicine cabinets come in a huge variety of styles and finishes, from the simulated antique look to sleek modern designs. Your choice of vanity unit and storage cabinet can have a big influence over the look and feel of your bathroom, so it's worth putting some thought into your decision to make sure you get it right.
Create the Right Splash With Bathroom Accessories
When decorating your bathroom, it is important to choose practical and beautiful bathroom accessories that also enhance the style of the room. It is this kind of attention to detail that separates a bathroom with charm and character from one that is strictly ho-hum.
The Benefits of Owning an Ionic Air Purifier
Ionic air purifiers are not filter systems. Ionic air purifiers work by sending out negatively charged ions into the air of your home.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !