List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Kitchen Island Ideas for Great Custom Kitchen Islands
Use kitchen island ideas to better understand how to create a more functional and comfortable kitchen. Using custom kitchen islands means having the most appropriate island for your home and kitchen area based on your kitchen space and your needs. Kitchen island ideas take us back to the farmhouse kitchen, even back to medieval times when a large worktable was used to do most of the preparation work.
Besides meal preparation, the kitchen can become a gathering area for family and friends if there is enough space. Since so much happens in the kitchen on a regular basis, getting the layout right is important. The kitchen island can serve as an additional eating area, and food preparation can easily be done there. In a large kitchen, the kitchen island can shorten the distances within the working triangle (sink, refrigerator and range or cooktop) and make it more efficient.
Here are kitchen island ideas to consider when planning your kitchen:
1. Kitchen islands work best in larger L, U or G-shape kitchens. If the kitchen is too small, the kitchen island will become an obstruction and hinder easy movement. The best custom kitchen islands for small to midsize kitchens are a portable butcher block or kitchen cart for food prep or extra storage.
2. Include a ventilation hood overhead to eliminate smoke, steam and cooking odors if your kitchen island is going to have a cooktop. The range hood should extend beyond the cooking area by 3 inches or more on the sides for proper ventilation. Using the correct fan size will ensure that removal happens as intended. Have a fan capacity of about 50 cubic feet per minute (cfm) for each square foot of cooktop area.
3. A second kitchen sink can be included on the kitchen island. Use a sink that is deep enough for washing large pots and pans, and consider equipping the kitchen island with a trash compactor, garbage disposal, recycle bin and even a dishwasher. Cleanup will be much easier when these appliances are close by the sink.
4. Allow adequate countertop space on both sides (left and right) of the kitchen island if a sink or cooktop will be used. Include at least 15 inches of countertop space on each side, and if your kitchen is large enough, allow even more space. You can never have too much countertop space in a kitchen. Also, rounded countertop corners help protect everyone from bad bruises -- this is true about all kitchen countertop corners.
5. Additional kitchen island ideas are to consider using shelf space on the sides of your kitchen island for cookbooks, collectibles or storage. A built-in TV works here, especially if it faces the family room. Or a microwave may work well for heating up after-school snacks and cooking foods quickly.
6. Countertop material for the island doesn't have to match the rest of your kitchen countertops as long as it is harmonious with the room's overall design. You may want to splurge on solid surfacing here, for example, and use laminate on the other countertops. A butcher-block countertop is ideal for chopping, while granite or marble works well for baking purposes and for rolling pastry dough.
7. Maximize natural light by having windows and skylights, and keep kitchen wall surfaces light in color to reflect daylight. Custom kitchen islands work great by using pendant or recessed fixtures to direct light onto the kitchen island and other work areas. Electrical codes will likely require that electrical outlets be located on the sides of fixed kitchen islands, not on the top, to prevent electrical shock.
Use custom kitchen islands ideas to help you know how to create an attractive area that will perform a variety of useful functions. Designed correctly, kitchen islands will make your work area more functional and efficient and will be enjoyed by everyone for many years. Read as many kitchen island ideas as you can on using an island to improve the functionality and comfort in your kitchen -- after all, your kitchen is most likely the most popular room in the house.
Copyright 2005 InfoSearch Publishing
Learn more about kitchen design online and creating the very best kitchen for your home. David Buster is VP of InfoSearch Publishing and webmaster of http://www.yourdreamloghome.com - visit the website and find informative articles for a variety of home improvement topics on kitchen design, bathrooms, fireplaces, home storage and more.
What You Should Know About Cheap Cuckoo Clocks
There are cuckoo clocks available for people with all kinds of decorating or collecting budgets. On Ebay you'll find cheap cuckoo clocks priced from $9.
Using Psychology of Color to Influence the Mood of a Room
The living room is the setting which will blend the people in your life into the occasions of your home. It is the hardest room to decorate because it has to be versatile, comfortable, and entertaining.
A Look at Shower Curtain Rods
Shower curtain rods give you a unique opportunity to showcase your sense of style. There are many different styles of shower curtain rods available.
Kitchen Island Ideas for Great Custom Kitchen Islands
Use kitchen island ideas to better understand how to create a more functional and comfortable kitchen. Using custom kitchen islands means having the most appropriate island for your home and kitchen area based on your kitchen space and your needs.
Wall Clocks Tell Time and Decorate!
Clocks can be of any type - they could be wall clocks that not only decorates the walls, but also tells time or a mantel piece resting on one's table etc..
The Advantages of Ionic Exchange Water Softeners
It can be difficult to decide which method for softening hard water is best because there are a number of choices available. Cost of a water softener system - from $400 to $1,200 -- can be a factor, as well as how the water softener unit is set up, its size, and how much water it will soften before requiring maintenance.
Tips for Taking Care of Fine Wood Furniture
Now that you have purchased some fine wood furniture, it is important to take proper care of it. With some basic care, your fine furniture can last for years, and stay just as beautiful as the day you bought it.
The English Grandfather Clock Tradition
Like the storied countryside of England, grandfather clocks from that country are rich in history and tradition. The first known pendulum clock was made in 1656.
A Kitchen Cart To Spruce Up Any Kitchen
Contrary to popular belief, the addition of a center island to your kitchen does not have to be permanent or a huge investment. By using portable kitchen carts or kitchen islands, you can achieve the sophisticated look that is associated with a center island without having to do a major remodel or take out a loan.
Black Forest Cuckoo Clocks
Known for its harsh winters, its many local artisans, and an abundance of hard woods unique to the area, Triberg in the Black Forest is the prime location for the production of cuckoo clocks. Even today, most of the world's supply of cuckoo clocks still comes from Germany, mostly from the Black Forest area.
Do It Yourself Bathroom Curtain
Need An Easy Bathroom Curtain Idea?I've always had a hard time decorating my bathrooms. You want them to look more "cute" instead of fancy, after all, it is a bathroom not a bedroom! I wanted to have some type of window treatment over the windows, but the ones I usually picked out were more decorative and elegant and didn't serve as a good shade for those looking in!Those plain old roller shades were perfect for keeping peepers out, but they were ugly! So plain and not colorful at all.
Common Waterbed Sheet Materials
Several materials are used to make waterbed sheets. Waterbed owners can choose between many different fabric options when buying sheets.
Pendant Lighting Layout - How To
Pendant lighting has gained a great deal of popularity for use in kitchens over the last few years. A common place to install them is over an island or peninsula.
The Benefits of Owning Wood Mini Blinds
Wood mini blinds are one variety of wood blinds for covering doors and windows. The smaller increments of a narrow slate dimension, wood mini blinds are better able to control the amount of light coming into a room and the view seen through a window.
Bathroom Vanity Cabinets
Bathroom vanity cabinets are considered bathroom furniture, and usually range from simple two door storage units with a wood veneer or a single color paint to exquisitely detailed richly carved hard wood cabinets, with hand applied finishes and marble inlay tops. The vanity cabinet is the place to start in adding sophisticated elegance to the bathroom, as it can and tie together the occasional disparate element between mirror and sink.
Decorating a Romantic Room
Creating intimacy in a room is about finding a mixture of elements that combine in such a way that they make both you and your partner feel comfortable and close. Some of these elements include lighting, color, decoration, and furniture.
Purchasing Framed Art For Your Home or Office - a Novel Way to Decorate
Framed art is an ideal compliment to any room of your home or office. Decorating an environment using framed artwork is quick, easy and is usually relatively inexpensive.
A Look at Wood Shutters
Shutters are a wonderful addition to any home. They give the home an air of warmth and comfort, a feeling of home.
The Benefits of Dried Fruit Baskets
Usually combined with varieties of nuts, dried fruit baskets have become the second most popular version of the original fresh fruit basket today. According to growers and manufacturers, dried fruit baskets have soared in recent years due to the amount of time one can take to consume the dried product and still have it taste as delicious as the day it arrived.
How To Measure For Window Treatments Like a Pro
When measuring for custom window treatments be sure to always use a steel tape measure, never use rulers, yardsticks or cloth tapes.? Always measure to the nearest eighth of an inch, never round up or down to the next whole inch.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !