List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Business Partners & Marital Partners Will The Marriage Survive - Part II
In the last article, we concluded by saying that keeping your business and personal relationships separate is very important to the survival of both your business and your marriage. In this article we will talk about how to achieve this goal.
One of the most important ways to accomplish this is to set up distinct business hours, and when they are over, don't discuss business, concentrate on your relationship. It is difficult, but make a concentrated effort at it. Confine your business discussions to business hours or set aside a specific time to discuss the business.
For example, take the last half hour of the day, and discuss the business day; any suggestions you have, what was accomplished, what needs to be done tomorrow, during the week, how are the monthly goals you set at the beginning of the month progressing. Remember to couch any criticisms or suggestions in a positive vein. Think of how you felt in the work situation and how supervisors dealt with you when making suggestions. Negatives only cause resentment. They do in the corporate arena, and even more so, when dealing with a spouse you must live with 24 hours a day. Be sure to set aside time for each other-go for walks, out to dinner, or just for a drive with your spouse. Do not discuss business.
You should have outside activities that are not business related. If not, join a group that interests you. It will allow you to meet with others who are not connected to your business. Running a home-based business can be very lonely; getting away from the home, and having outside interests is imperative.
In addition to the problems inherent to couples running a business, starting a home-based business presents its own set of problems and questions. Before you start be sure to ask yourself the following:
1. Are you self-motivated? Organized? Able to prioritize your work? You will no longer have a supervisor or a boss to tell you what to do. You will be the decision maker. You will have to motivate yourself. One way to accomplish this is to use a To Do List and stick to it. In addition, set definitive business hours, and stick to them.
2. Will you be able to deal with the isolation? You will no longer meet people in the halls, congregate around the coffee pot, or take a break to talk with your co-workers. To combat the loneliness and isolation be sure to join groups that meet outside the home, or schedule luncheons with friends and associates.
3. Write up a business plan. Be sure the business is something that interests you. You might want to start on a part-time basis, and grow from there. Research the business carefully, make sure there is a market, and the competition is not overwhelming.
4. Be sure you have at least six months living expenses set aside. This will give you the time to work through the marketing strategy outlined in your business plan, and avoid bad marketing practices. In addition, if changes need to be made, you can do so, without monetary concerns becoming an issue.
5. Be sure your office space is located in a separate room or area of your home that offers the least distractions. A separate office is best, especially if you are meeting with clients. Remember to always present a professional appearance.
6. When will you do your regular household chores? Make up a schedule of when you will deal with them. Some individuals find getting chores done before the start of the work day is best. At the end of the day, close your office door and then deal with the remaining household items that need to be handled. Time management will be a very important factor in running a home-based business.
7. For husband and wife teams, it becomes imperative to have some form of disability insurance for each other. Remember, even though your partner may be your husband or wife, he or she is still your business partner. An accident or illness to one of you can severely impact the operation of the business.
A business is only as good as you and your partner make it. It takes a lot of dedication, time and energy to run a business, whether it is home-based or not. It can be a very rewarding experience. Think carefully, and ask yourself a lot of self-searching questions before you begin.
Copyright 2000, DeFiore Enterprises
Interested in having your own successful, home based creative real estate investing business? Chuck and Sue have been helping folks start successful home based businesses for over 19 years, and we can help you too! To see how, visit http://www.homebusinesssolutions.com for the latest FREE tips and tricks, educational products and coaching in creative real estate investing and home based businesses. No time to visit the site? Subscribe to our "how to" Home Business Solutions Digest, it's like having your own personal coach: subscribeHBS@homebusinesssolutions.com
Anniversary Gifts that Say I Love You
Exchanging anniversary gifts is a long standing tradition. Many couples seek out traditional gifts for each year of marriage, but others prefer "modern" gifts.
Choosing a Wedding Reception and Banquet Facility
It's time to look for a banquet facility. Most clients end up deciding on a particular banquet facility for two specific reasons - they like how they were treated by the banquet sales staff and they fall in love with the facility when they walk through the doors.
Celebrate With Butterflies - The Flying Flowers
Make your upcoming event the most memorable ever by adding butterflies to your special day. Butterfly Releases are a perfect way to celebrate all of the important occasions in life.
How To Choose Your Wedding Cake
One of my favorite parts about the wedding, is the cake. Over time many things have changed with weddings, but one thing that stays the same, there is always a beautiful cake.
3 Emerging Trends In Custom Invitations
There is an overwhelming demand for high quality, custom stationery that really reflects the bridal couple's style, personality, and wedding. It doesn't stop at the wedding invitation set anymore! It seems every modern bridal couple is opting to have their entire stationery ensemble done by a custom invitation house.
Bridal Shower Gift Ideas
You've been invited to the bridal shower - what fun! You already have a wonderful wedding gift, but you aren't sure about bridal shower gift ideas. The first rule of thumb is that a bridal shower gift is generally a bit more personal; that is, it focuses on the bride rather than the couple.
Wedding Photography - Tips for a Wonderful Session
Every couple wants wonderful photos of their wedding day that capture the celebration, details, romance and beauty. Here are a few tips for a successful photo session:1.
Wedding Rings - How to Choose a Perfect Ring
Selecting a wedding ring isn't as easy as it looks. You are going to wear your ring for the rest of your life, so it should be something you won't get tired of in a couple years.
Current Trends in Wedding Photography
Wedding photography is an evolving field that requires artistic talent, vision, and highly technical expertise.In the past wedding photography was almost always limited to stiff posses without much regard for the underlying story, emotion, romance, and behind the scene events of the wedding day.
Top 40 Marriage Quotations
"Is it better for a woman to marry a man who loves her than a man she loves. "-- Anonymous"All marriages are happy.
Mens Diamond Rings - The Ultimate Wedding Ring For The Modern Man
Mens diamond rings are becoming more and more popular with the modern man. As more men celebrate their marriage by the wearing of a wedding ring, mens diamond rings are fast becoming the new mens fashion.
How A Marriage Counseling Secret Can Save Your Marriage
How do you react if your spouse announces "I want a divorce" or something similar? With shock? Surprise? Outrage?If these are your reactions, you've got plenty of company. Thousands of spouses each year have this same experience.
Focus On What Is Important - Your Wedding Disc Jockey Choice
Your true love got down on his knees and asked you to marry him. Barely able to get the words out, you say "I Will".
Marriage Counseling: How to Reduce Hurt Feelings When You and Your Spouse Disagree
One of the biggest on-going problems for couples is how to reduce the hurt feelings that can result from arguments and disagreements. The fall-out from a no-holds barred "kill your opponent" verbal altercation can last for decades.
Choosing Your Wedding Rings
One of the most important steps in planning your wedding, is choosing the wedding ring set. Finding the right rings could actually be considered the most critical part of your ceremony actually, because the wedding bands will be worn by the bride and groom for the rest of their lives.
Planning a Maui Wedding
Just as there are a variety of wedding packages available, Maui wedding planning is also packed with many possibilities. So many people come here to get married that the choices of wedding planners to take care of all the arrangements are as diverse as the choices of wedding.
Is Your Heart Set On An Antique Engagement Ring?
As Mark Twain said "Let us not be too particular; it is better to have old secondhand diamonds than none at all." And don't we all agree?Antique engagement rings have become all the rage in recent years, particularly with famous brides like Madonna, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Camilla Parker-Bowles all sporting vintage-inspired engagement rings.
2005 Mother Of Bride Dress
A 2005 mother of bride dress tends to have a different look and feel to it than did mother of the bride dresses in the past. That's because today's mother of the bride tends to be a different sort of woman, having come of age in a different culture than the typical mother of the bride from eras gone by.
Nevada Wedding Laws
While you may be headed to Las Vegas for a quickie wedding or a prolonged celebration, take time to find out what the law requires before you buy that plane ticket. Each state's laws differ, and many couples get married in Las Vegas because the law allows them to marry quickly.
An Inexpensive, Yet Beautiful, Wedding: One Brides Story
Most girls know by the age of 12 what kind of wedding they want. They have everything picked out, from what their wedding dress will look like to the husband they will marry.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !