List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Five Ways to Expand Your Comfort Zone
Expanding your comfort zone isn't quite the same as building self-confidence. However, the two do fit together rather nicely. The one begets the other. So many people feel stuck in a rut... bored from a routine that is safe and comfortable but not very exciting. Fear of falling flat on your face or of looking foolish stops you from reaching out beyond that cozy little life you've created for yourself. If your goal is to expand your comfort zone, then you must think positive while doing these. Remember that nothing really bad can happen to you if you are smart in how you go about trying new things. It's all just new adventures. Become like a curious child and have some fun.
1) Join Toastmasters or take a theater class. The idea here is that you force yourself into public speaking. By learning how to project your voice and how to think clearly while on stage, you will be able to better conduct yourself in business and when getting your point across to others. This will build a lot of self-confidence, which will help you to really push your comfort zone in regards to speaking out in front of others. Everyone is always terrified at first. Public speaking is the number one phobia in America. You will be shocked to discover just how much fun this can be. You'll get bit by the acting bug or the public speaking bug before you know it. It will most likely become a new hobby that you'll love dearly.
2) Drive home a different route every day for a week and shop at completely new grocery store. By breaking out of your normal daily routine, you become aware of just how much time you spend tucked away safely within your comfort zone. Breaking out of your rut can be as simple as trying a new restaurant or rearranging the furniture at home. You can trade bedrooms with one of your roommates or move into a new home. Go on vacation to a completely unfamiliar location. The idea here is to change your physical environment and to mix up your overall sensory experiences. By forcing yourself into new locations, you not only become aware of how attached you are to your favorite old haunts, but you also force yourself to see the world from a new angle.
3) Learn a new sport. This one has to be done with respect to your age and physical health. For some it could be an extreme sport like sky diving. For others it could be learning to play tennis or to play golf. The idea is that you again force yourself into meeting other people while pushing yourself physically into unknown territories. You should obviously pick something that you'll enjoy doing and that won't hurt. If you have bad knees don't take up running or high impact aerobics. If you are bored out of your mind while watching baseball, then you probably aren't going to enjoy playing it either. You also need to consider honestly whether or not you are a team player. You might be better off learning to rock climb rather then to play flag football. Whatever you choose, commit yourself to learning it completely and be safe.
4) Compliment three strangers each day for a week. This isn't the same as public speaking. This is private speaking. In order to do this one correctly, you have to become fully aware of the people around you. You'd be amazed at just how many strangers you pass every day. You also have to think of genuinely nice things to say. It's not enough to simply speak to three strangers, but to compliment them forces you to think about the person before you speak to them. We can randomly say, "Nice weather we're having" to everyone we meet. That's not really connecting and concentrating on another human being. Force yourself outside of your comfort zone so as to tell strangers that you noticed something good about them. You will make their day and your own. You may even find yourself with some new friends by the end of the week.
5) Volunteer at an elderly care center, a children's cancer clinic, or an AIDS hospice center . They will love you for just showing up and in conversing with them you'll learn all about people's real regrets in life. People never say, "I really did experience too many adventures." Instead, they almost always comment on all of the adventures they denied themselves. They talk of how if they had it to do all over again... how they'd be more spontaneous and loving. There's nothing quite like seeing folks at the end of their life to make you really appreciate your own. Spend some time giving of yourself to those who don't have a lot of time left and you'll soon come to realize how much the world has to offer. Perhaps you will want to take a bigger bite out of life before it's too late?
All of these ideas are variations on the same theme. You are to practice becoming spontaneous. The whole point of a too tight comfort zone is that you do not give yourself room to be free, playful, and spontaneous. You are too self-censoring and too routine for your own happiness. Once you've tried a few things on this list, then make a list of 100 things that you want to accomplish before you die and start doing them. Have a wonderful time with this concept. There's no reason to expand your comfort zone so as to take on more work duties or more responsibilities. You will have enough of that thrust upon you in life. You're going to do this one for your own happiness and nobody else's. Give yourself permission to expand your wings so you can fly a little higher and a little further to see what else is out there.
Copyright 2004, Skye Thomas, Tomorrow's Edge
About The Author
Skye Thomas is the CEO of Tomorrow's Edge, an Internet leader in inspiring leaps of faith. She became a writer in 1999 after twenty years of studying spirituality, metaphysics, astrology, personal growth, motivation, and parenting. Her books and articles have inspired people of all ages and faiths to recommit themselves to the pursuit of happiness. After years of high heels and business clothes, she is currently enjoying working from home in her pajamas. To read more of her articles, sign up to receive her free weekly newsletter, and get free previews of her books go to www.TomorrowsEdge.net.
When the Universe is aligned, all things are possible. Kismet, Karma, Synchronicity and Serendipity work together in unison to provide for us when we sometimes least expect it.
Top 5 Reasons Why Youre Not Living Your Dream
1. "I'm too old to make a change.
Are You an Achiever or are You an EXCUSIOLOGIST?
It would be a fairly safe bet that if you are reading this article then you are on the lookout for something more in your life than what you already have.Whether you are searching for a new business, a new opportunity, a part-time income or even a lotto system it all stems from one source - dissatisfaction of present circumstances.
How to Exude More Confidence
Confidence: The word conjures up images of self-assurance and belief in ones' self. Self-confidence is inward security.
The natural cycle of life is to grow and move forward but moving forward brings with it an element of the unknown. It is human nature to fear the unknown.
How to Make Bite Size Resolutions for 2005
It never fails. Another new year approaches.
Who Is Stuart Goldsmith?
'Stuart Goldsmith? Who is Stuart Goldsmith?' you may be asking.I met Stuart at his retirement seminar in London at the end of 2002.
Secrets to Motivating Yourself and Others
There is hardly anything more personal that what motivates each of us to perform in a work environment. Here's some insight into how to choose the best "carrot" to motivate both yourself .
Review: Productivity Engineering- A hypnosis program to help you improve your performance at work."Buy a hypnosis CD program? Will that really help me get more work done? Can it improve my work performance?"I know, this is a little off the beaten path when compared to the usual courses and services I review.
Harnessing the Power of the Unknown: Move from Repeating the Past to Re-inventing the Future
The Unknown - it is scary territory for many, something to be avoided for others and shameful for those who feel they are supposed to know everything. What is your relationship with the Unknown? Take a moment to ponder it because your attitude towards and experience of this is what governs your ability to create, to innovate and truly bring more of yourself out into the world - in short to be successful.
Ask Your Question - Get what You Desire
"Questions get answers, advice, opinions, beliefs, impressions, stories, and more questions. Questions are about life, people, careers, achievements, facts, and faith.
Death by Overwork: Motivationally Speaking Its a Zero
The Japanese have a word for death by overwork: Karoshi. A recent survey said 40 percent of all Japanese workers fear that they will actually work themselves to death.
How To Be Motivated To Create The Life Of Your Dreams
When it comes to motivating yourself to be a better person, to do better at work or to create a happier family life you need to understand the importance of taking control of your self-talk. You really need to know how to motivate yourself through thick and thin.
Are You Ready To Make A Strong Finish?
Talk about a strong finish! In their inspiring story of perserverance which ultimately led to great success and victory, the Detroit Shock won their first ever WNBA (Women's National Basketball Association) championship title. USA Today told of their "worst-to-first odyssey" where the team, after winning only nine games in 2002, they finished 2003 with a league-best record and championship title.
5 Ways to Fight Pessimism
Some people are naturally pessimistic and are happy being so. They view themselves as pragmatic and as having a better sense of reality.
10 Ways to Overcome Procrastination: The Challenge for Tomorrow!
Did you realize that as much as 47% of the time we spend on-line has nothing whatsoever to do with our work? In 1978 15% of the population stated that they do procrastinate somewhat. Only 1% admitted to chronic procrastination.
What Is The Value In Wanting To Accomplish Something?
When I listen to people tell me about some of the things they want to do, I pause for two reasons. One is the fact that I'm listening and watching them to see if they are serious within themselves.
How to Get Rid of Inaction Paralysis!
How many times have you come up with a brilliant idea only to find yourself paralyzed with inaction and wondering/regretting why you never pursued it?How many times have you allowed those unfounded fears to stand in the way of your progress? How many times will you keep allowing inaction paralysis to rob you of the life you want?Whether you want to start a business, write a book or are looking for a new job or new clients, if you want to get results?you must act when your emotions are still high and the idea you have is sizzling hot! This is usually the time when the idea is so powerful and clear in your mind. You feel confident and enthusiastic?from this vantage point "anything is possible.
Discover The Spark That Motivates You In Business and Life
Can There Be Any Other Business Like Your Own Business?"Whatever you persistently allow to occupy your thoughts will magnify in your life."-Dennis Kimbro, PhD.
Nothing More Than Feelings
"How are you Inventing Your Life Today?" - the lead story from my last issue of Power & Presence - drew comments from several readers. Most of the comments went something like: "I wish I could have the degree of control over my life that you apparently do.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !