List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
The Untold Truth About Mentors, and Why You DONT Need One
I think there is a misconception about what a mentor truly is. A mentor is someone who guides you, someone wise, someone you trust. A mentor can be your confidant, advisor, coach, or even your role model. Many people swear by their mentors and frequently credit them with much of their success.
Yet you do not have to choose just one! The mentor-protégé bond is certainly a special one, but this does not mean you are limited to the knowledge of only a single source. In the early years of my adult life, I was hoping to find just one person to guide me and direct me, but I never did find that person.
Over time, a few things became clear to me:
1. There is no single person who can provide us with every answer. So why abide by one mentor who you know cannot meet every requirement? I discovered that I could learn more, not by following the advice of a single person but by observing a multitude of people.
2. There is no perfect role model. I used to believe there was such a person and that I would simply model myself after him. All I would have to do is watch and do the things he or she did. Unfortunately, I haven't met that person yet.
3. There is no perfect person. Very few people possess all of the qualities that I think define success and happiness: great friends, career, health, family life, finances, social life, leisure, spiritual life, community involvement, etc. Most of the very successful people I've met had one or some of these, but hardly any had all of them. So why compare myself to the perfect person who doesn't exist?
4. I didn't have all of the answers, and I never will. I knew that I was going to make mistakes, but what I discovered was that it was much easier to learn from other people's mistakes than to make all of the mistakes myself.
To me, my mentor had to:
--- Take a personal interest in my development and support me in the avenues I take.
--- Help me strive toward the highest of aspirations, not only in career but in the satisfaction of life.
--- Want to share his knowledge and experiences, in hope that I reach a high level of achievement.
--- Show me the need to fulfill all responsibilities, both at home and away from it.
--- Care about the well-being of himself and his family.
--- Be a great overall example.
Needless to say, I still haven't found that one mentor yet.
Since I couldn't find that one special person to guide me, I needed to create a mentor. Now, how does one go about doing something like that? Well, it's not as hard as it seems. You first have to determine what you want. That is most important, not only because it's part of the mentor process but because it directly concerns what will make you happy in life.
Once you figure out what you want, find the people that have it or know how to get it and make sure they are willing to teach you how to get it. You don't even have to know them personally. As your mentors, they can teach you through a variety of ways: books, audio tapes, lectures, seminars, etc. A mentor then can have millions of protégés.
Here is some additional advice in finding mentors:
1. You can learn from practically anybody. In essence, anybody can be your mentor. Not only can you learn what to do or how to behave, you can also learn to avoid the wrong paths that others have followed.
2. Identify the key people in your life. Mentors can be close family members like parents or siblings, and they can also be public figures. Again, don't believe that you have to have a close relationship with your mentors. Public figures can be key people in your life because they can have a profound effect on how you live it.
3. Find people with specialized knowledge. If certain people have written an insightful book on a particular subject or have inspirational life experiences to share, then they might be possible mentors who can help in motivating you. Plus, if they are famous, they are easy to watch via television or the Internet, and their material is not difficult to find.
4. Try to ask as much as possible. Ask people for advice, ask them how they got where they are, ask them how you can get the same things. Also ask yourself what certain people would say or how they would act in specific situations. The more prepared you are, the less likely you'll make a mistake in the future.
5. Mentors can simply be people who are happy in life! Salary and position don't matter as long as there is contentment and commitment. Mentors can range from athletes and politicians to religious figures and stay-at-home mothers.
I have hundreds of mentors. So how many do you have?
This article is part of an Internet Course titled, "Self Improvement 101: The 62 Essential Truths about Improving Your Life! To get a Free Copy of the course ( $59.00 Value), go directly to http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles101.html
COPYRIGHT (C) 2004 by Self Improvement Online, Inc.
David Riklan is the founder of http://www.SelfGrowth.com, the #1 Rated "Self Improvement" site on the Web. He creates resources, such as his e-book, http://www.selfgrowth.com/products/top101.html, E-Course, & FREE newsletters http://www.selfgrowth.com/products/newsletters.html, to help you achieve success.
Stop Squeaking! Align Yourself for Business Success!
Even for a remarkable business owner like you, from time to time, you may still loose motivation in continuing the expansion of a service or product line. At time, you may seem to have a hard time figuring out why this once fantastic business that got you so excited every morning is making you feel like a heavy weight now.
Motivation: Tearing Down Your Own Limitations
Q.: I've always been sort of cynical about all this motivational stuff.
Problems or Opportunities?
As best I can tell hereâ??s how it breaks down.Some people see problems as opportunities.
Courage and Fear
Mark Twain once said, "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear not absence of fear."Feeling fear is normal but so many are afraid to admit it.
Its Not Your Fault
Have you ever wondered what's really holding you back from achieving all your dreams and making the money you really want to make?Well, worry no more. It's not your fault.
A Wake Up Call
The story below is a true story that happened in September.During the month of September, a dear friend of mine lost her husband suddenly in an accident.
Breaking Through Resistance
Why is it that every time you start something new, a million and one things get in the way?You make a goal to lose weight and all of a sudden every time you go to the store you seem to notice the chocolate you've been craving.Or you decide to start a writing project but every time you sit down to write - you're stuck, you don't have any inspiration.
Gremlins! Time to Take Control
It is a wonder we can function at all. Each of us has multiple personality types all crying for attention.
The Downward Spirals Of Life - Top Ten Steps For Freeing Ourselves From
Some people call them vicious circles or cycles. I prefer to think of them as downward spirals of life.
A Turning Point
19 years ago, I was a young working mother at 28, independent and working for a prestigious company, until circumstances made me choose between family and career. After going through weighing my options, I chose to become a full-time Homemaker because I believed that family should come first if the situation would permit.
How To Harness The Awesome, Unstoppable Power Of Persistence In 4 Easy Steps
Never underestimate the power of persistence!If you persist you really cannot fail.While you may fail many times along the way, you have not truly failed until you accept failure.
How to Use the Power of Words to Your Benefit - Part II
A friend of mine read the article, How to Use the Power of Words to Your Benefit, and dryly made the comment, "So what?"At first it didn't concern me, but a few days later I began thinking about his comment. I had obviously not made the point clear, and therefore I decided to expand on this concept.
Inertia? 5 Tips to Getting Yourself Moving Again!
Inertia. Even the word sounds like a disease.
Self Confidence : The Importance of Will-Power
The importance of will-power is recognized by most men, yet few deliberately give any time or thought to its development. Why we resist one thing and yield to another may be due to "the strongest motive," but what more particularly concerns us in the study of self-confidence is in what way this mighty power can be built and directed.
I Should Be Doing... But...?
What a perfect fall Saturday morning, clear sunny blue sky, with a crisp breeze blowing. It's just the one I've been waiting for to begin that yearly regimen, Fall Clean Up.
Don't Let Motivation Cause You to Fail
Yesterday my teenage son Matt came home with a less than stellar report card. (Yes, even peak performance experts sometimes have trouble motivating others.
Explanations?... or Excuses?
Which of the following "explanations" have you heard (or used!) in the past few weeks?* I need to reward myself for being so good.* The boss hates me.
Learn to Do What Winners Do But Others Will Not
If you want to be a winner you have to be prepared to develop a certain personal trait which others will not.Are you prepared to do more to receive more? Or are you like most people who want consistently to do less and less, yet are mistakenly expecting more in return.
Stop Procrastination--Just Do It!
In this article I'll talk about the reason that stops most of Internet entrepreneurs from succeeding online.Have you ever wondered why only about 5% of us are actually making money online? Have you ever think about the main reason that stops the other 95% of them?If you are like me, I'm sure that it happens to you to read ebook after ebook, report after report and newsletter after newsletter searching for the missing key that will open the gates to your richness.
Two Ways to Feel Fear
In a memorable Depression-era radio speech on the radio, President Franklin Roosevelt declared, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." He was dead right.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !