List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Avoiding Excessive or Uneven Front Tire Wear
All rubber tires wear down over time, whether they're on a motorcycle or automobile. However, you want to watch out for uneven or excessive wear, both of which can cause serious problems for motorcycle riders. If you pay attention to the following causes of excessive and uneven wear, you will extend the life of your tires and keep yourself safe:
1. Improper Tire Pressure - We have all heard about the importance of maintaining proper tire pressure at all times. Improper air pressure in your tire is a big reason for many tire problems and failures. Be sure your tires have the recommended pressure in them at all times.
2. Humped Roads -- Most roads are "humped" slightly in the middle or banked away from the center to allow rain and water to drain off. However, this hump can have a dramatic effect on one side of your motorcycle's front tire because the side of the tire closer to the center of the road will wear faster. There's not much you can do about this, and it can become very visible if you ride a lot. So be aware of this phenomenon and check the left side of your front tire often.
3. Disproportionate Cupping -- Cupping is a normal phenomenon on rubber tires that occurs when the brakes are applied. However, excessive use of the front brake can produce disproportionate cupping, when one side of the tire is more cupped than the other. Using the front brake will naturally put more pressure and force on the front tire to make it stop, thereby using up more rubber.
4. Wheel Alignment - While this problem is not as common on motorcycles as it is on cars, it causes uneven tire wear. Any number of things can cause wheel misalignment on motorcycles, including getting into a fender bender, riding over potholes, jumping over sidewalks and curbs, etc. It is a good idea to have your wheel alignment checked out at least once a year to make sure that a misalignment isn't unevenly wearing your front tire.
5. Shock Absorbers -- A bad shock absorber can wreak havoc on the handling of your bike and promotes uneven front tire wear. So make sure your shocks are in good shape.
6. Improper Loading -- The final major problem to keep in mind is improper loading of your bike, which causes your front tire to wear unevenly. Proper weight distribution is essential to being able to handle and steer your bike safely. Loading down one side of your saddlebag with tools or equipment can keep you from riding as vertically as possible, creating uneven tire wear.
So check your tires frequently, and keep these causes in mind if you begin noticing excessive or uneven front tire wear. Having the knowledge and taking the proper precautions will not only make you a safer rider but will prolong the life of your bike's tires.
Jeff Sinason aka Tools - is the owner Bikerwares.com. Being an avid biker, he spends most of his time working on his web site and touring the country.
How To Make Your Own Vintage Motor Cycle & Automotive Spare Parts
Vintage Car & Motorcycle restoration enthusiasts all share one thing in common..
Online Shopping for Motorcycle Accessories
When shopping for a certain item and material, the way to do it is to shop like a woman. Who else knows how to shop till they drop but women, right? Isn't it that husbands, partners, spouses and lovers often complain about the amount of time and the energy given to shopping by their women even for just one item they need?But who else gets the most of their budget, and takes home the item of high grade quality at the least price possible? Women.
Motorcycle Parts - OEM or Aftermarket ?
This is always a difficult one to answer when shopping for motorcycle parts and I firmly believe that each one of us must decide what's best for our bikes AFTER carefully evaluating each of the possibilities.For me?Well.
The Buzz is All About Mini-Motorcycles
Pocket bikes are miniature motorcycles -- powered, for the most part, by oil- and gas-burning engines similar to those used in chain saws, weed whackers or other small motorized tools -- and they look just like the real thing.The snazziest models cost thousands and are made in Italy, but the ones that are selling by the container load run from $200 to $500.
Motorcycle Radar Detectors
Standard radar detectors were not built for motorcycles and were never intended to be used on them. Most detectors use an audio device to inform the driver that radar had been detected, and are therefore inappropriate for motorcycle riders because they cannot be heard.
Avoiding Excessive or Uneven Front Tire Wear
All rubber tires wear down over time, whether they're on a motorcycle or automobile. However, you want to watch out for uneven or excessive wear, both of which can cause serious problems for motorcycle riders.
Common Mistakes Motorcycle Buyers Make When Looking For a Motorcycle Loan
Whether interest rates are high or low or it's the end of a model year with lots of incentives, motorcycle buyers tend to make the same mistakes when shopping for a motorcycle loan. Here are four common mistakes motorcycle buyers make with motorcycle loans.
Motorcycle Protective Clothing That Works!
There is some great looking motorcycle clothing on the market these days, but believe me not all of the motorcycle clothing offers as much protection as you think. In Europe, for motorcycle clothing to be lawfully sold as "safety" clothing, it has to pass a series of European standards, which are pretty lengthy but are available on my website.
5 Steps To A Better Motorcycle Loan With A Better Credit Score
It is common knowledge that motorcycle lenders base high importance on your FICO credit scores when approving motorcycle loans. However, what many people overlook is that their FICO credit score can highly impact the term on their motorcycle loan along with the interest rate that is assigned to the motorcycle loan.
Motorcycle Suspension: - A Troubleshooting Guide
Trouble Shooting Suspension Problems.Adjustment locations: ForksRebound adjustment (if applicable) is located near the top of the fork.
A Convenient Way to Slash Your Gas Bill
"With oil prices spiraling higher almost every day, people are starting to look for alternative modes of transport," says Michael S. Milstead of Scootertronics.
Welcome To The World Of "Upside Down" Motorcycle Loans!
With the depreciation on motorcycles being so enormous after they are driven off the showroom floor, the potential for a buyer owing more on their motorcycle loan than the bike is worth it quite high. Owing more on your bike than it is worth is often referred to as the world of "up side down".
Fuel Cells Motorcycles, Trucks, Tanks, ATVs and Fire Hazards from Heat Exchanges
We have heard a whole lot of talk about fuel cells and of course it is a worthy endeavor. Portable generators, cars, transportation industry, Power generators, Ships, etc.
Trackdays - Get the Maximum Enjoyment from Your Time on the Track
Many motorcyclists want to take their bikes onto the track and trackdays are the ideal environment. If you have never been on a track before the experience can feel daunting so here are a number of tips to help make your trackday enjoyable.
Liquid Cooled Minimotos (PocketBikes), How Fast Are They and Are They Affordable?
As the latest craze of Minimoto Madness continues in the United Kingdom. The demand for pocket bikes means that the consumer is now looking for more better quality products which are not only affordable for the average earner but also produce great horsepower and fast speeds.
So You Want To Be A Custom Bike Builder? Start With A Motorcycle Kit!
So you want to be a custom bike builder? Well friend, before you rush out and buy that motorcycle kit, the one that will set you on the road to riches and fame, stop and think about the level of expertise and artistry the top builders have attained. More importantly think about how long it has taken them to attain it! Let's look at a few key issues?EducationYou'd be surprised how well educated a lot of today's top bike builders are.
Necessity of Motorcycle Parts
If you are one of the many people who consider your bike as invaluable as your family, then we know you're head over heels. We may be judged heavily for this perception but you might even be willing to dump your partner just so you could spend time riding and caring for your bike? though, we hope you are not that obsessed.
Ride Hard - Hydrate Harder
This summer is showing all of the signs of being a hot one. Temps have already been hitting the 100's here in the Midwest.
Honda Super Cub and 50cc Honda Cub - The Volkswagen Beetle of Motorcycles!
A very clever design: the Honda Super Cub was the combination of a moped and a scooter. It attracted many people due to its friendly and non intimidating look.
How Do You Make Your Harley Davidson Look And Feel Like An Extension Of Yourself!
How do you make your Harley Davidson look and feel like an extension of yourself!Do you think maybe it's time to do a little customizing for that old girl of yours? Ask yourself this first.Why do we customize and add accessories to our Harley?Well, for me it's simple!We want to stand out above all else! The last thing we want is to look like every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there on the road!You may have different reasons.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !