List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Public Schools Can Waste 12 Years of Your Child's Life
For over fifty years, public-school officials and politicians have tried one education fad after another. They have all failed. Children should not be turned into victims and educational guinea pigs by public-school authorities. Here's why public schools can waste 12 years of your children's lives and destroy their love of learning:
1. These schools teach children to read with the whole-language method, which cripples children's ability to read. That is why after 12 years, millions of graduating high-school students have poor reading skills, and some students can barely read their own diplomas.
2. Public schools teach the "new" or fuzzy math which can cripple a child's ability to do math and destroy their self-confidence. A child who is afraid of math won't have the confidence to pursue a career in science, computers, or engineering, thereby cutting them off from these rewarding careers.
3. Because these schools cripple children's ability to read, they must force children to read dumbed-down textbooks in English, History, and many other subjects. These textbooks are geared to the slowest learners in the class and water-down the subject matter. These dumbed-down courses therefore waste children's time.
4. Most "teaching" in public-schools consists of students having to memorize facts from dumbed-down textbooks, only to regurgitate these same facts on dumbed-down tests. John Holt, in his book, "How Children Fail" points out that most students forget the facts they memorized within a few weeks after the test. So most children learn little from their classes except how to cram their heads with useless facts which they soon forget. This goes on for 12 years.
5. Public schools force children to study subjects they hate, can't do, will never use in their lives, or which bore them. For example, many schools force students to study geometry and trigonometry, French or another foreign language, or world history. Children should be studying subjects they love and are good at. When they have to study subjects that bore them, the only thing children learn is to hate learning.
6. Ben Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Edison, and Mark Twain all went to a formal "grammar" school for less than two years. All were home-schooled by their parents or self-taught after they learned to read. Author John Gatto, in his book "Dumbing Us Down" said that most children can learn to read, write, and do basic arithmetic in only 100 hours of intense study. Yet our public schools keep children locked up for 12 years, yet can barely teach them to read.
7. Once children learn to read and write well within two years of intense study, they don't need a public school at all. With their parents' help and guidance, they can direct their own studies and education at home. Over a million children do this right now--it's called homeschooling.
8. Public schools are a government-controlled monopoly. Bad schools don't close down because compulsory taxes prop them up. Incompetent or mediocre teachers aren't fired because tenure laws protect them. That's why public schools will never improve and will always waste children's precious time.
9. A study by the National Education Commissiion on Time and Learning found that middle-school and high-school children spent on average only about 50 percent of their school day on core "academic" subjects. The rest of their time is spent on classes about sex-education, personal safety, family life, consumer affairs, AIDS and drug prevention, save-the-environment, multiculturalism studies, "cooperative-learning" projects, study halls, electives, homeroom, counseling, sports activities, or pep rallies (high school).
If parents value their children's time, passion for learning, and future success in life, then they should consider taking their children out of public school, permanently.
Joel Turtel is an education policy analyst, and author of "Public Schools, Public Menace: How Public Schools Lie To Parents and Betray Our Children." Contact Information: Website: http://www.mykidsdeservebetter.com, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 718-447-7348, Article Copyrighted © 2005 by Joel Turtel, NOTE: You may post this Article on an Ezine, newsletter, or other website only if you include Joel Turtel's complete contact information, and set up a hyperlink to Joel Turtel's email address and website URL, http://www.mykidsdeservebetter.com.
Childrens Discipline: How To Resolve Divorce Parenting Differences?
Did you know that inconsistency on matters of discipline gives double messages, produces anxiety and can be very confusing to your children? Children need to know where they stand in their behaviors. It is therefore critical for parents to resolve their differences in matters of children's discipline.
There are moments in a parent's or grandparent's life, when they receive validation for the way they are living, or, have lived, that life. These moments are usually quiet ones, with no fanfare celebrating the occasion.
25 Things That Matter When Relating To Our Children (Leaving A Legacy Of Love To Those We Love)
In my opinion, these things matter..
Understanding The Report
"No thank you. Don't bother to send me the report about the testing results.
Effective Troubled Teen Programs
Not all parents subscribe to the notion of "tough love," which is used so extensively in many troubled teen programs. Some parents want their children close by and want to avoid placing their troubled teen into an environment that may build even more resentment and anger.
A Dads Thoughts On Dads day
21 Reasons I Love Being A DadWhat you will read in the next five to eight minutes will not qualify as one of the top ten professionally written articles of the year: guaranteed.But you will read this, guaranteed: thoughts created on Father's Day from a guy who loves being a dad.
Every Mom Worries
Sitterphobe "I never have a second to myself," this mother tells you (and tells you and tells you). You agree, judging by her slightly frazzled demeanor, that she could use a break.
Top 20+ Reasons to Pay your Kid an Allowance
1. They can make mistakes under your guidance2.
How Illiteracy Can Ruin Your Childs Life
It may seem obvious to many people why literacy is so important in our technologically advanced society. However, many parents may not fully realize the emotional pain and life-long damage illiteracy can cause their children.
Parenting Your Teenager: Late vs. Too Late, and 5 More Sure Fire Tips
Late vs. Too LateEvery now and then, I'll hear a parent tell me something like this,"I know we should do something about how we handle our son/daughter, but it's really too late since they are almost 18.
Celebrating Mom: How To Make Every Day Her Special Day!
Bearers of life, wipers of noses, givers of unconditional love ? mothers are the unsung heroes of everyday life. Although it is hoped that you recognize and celebrate your Mom on a regular basis, her special day-Mother's Day-is soon approaching.
People of the Century by Dan Rather
Dan Rather made a significant and tactical error and got involved in politics where he should not have gone. I personally and millions of American's lost complete respect for him and he left the news media under a cloud of darkness while disgracing his family name and negating so much of his earlier work.
Bring On The Music To Help Your Child Learn Faster And More Effectively
Do you remember how you first learned the alphabet? I am quite sure that the majority of us learnt it by singing the ABC Song: 'ABCDEFG-HIJKLMNOP-QRS-TUV-WXY-and-Z..
Picky Eaters - Successful Strategies Part 1
What is in a name?The answer is everything!Jo J. of Victoria, Texas said that her son was a very picky eater between the ages of four and six and refused to eat many of the dishes she made, until she discovered the art of renaming recipes.
Positive Parenting - Oops! I Really Lost My Temper With My Kids, What Now?
Ever blown your top to your children, only to regret it ten minutes later?Silly question, it happens to us all no matter how well-behaved our kids or placid and patient we are. At times the general strains and stresses of life wear us down so our emotional responses don't match children's behaviours.
Parenting - The Irrational Vocation
There are some grounds to assume that a cognitive dissonance is involved in feeling that children are more a satisfaction than a nuisance. Why do people bother with parenting? It is time consuming, exhausting, strains otherwise pleasurable and tranquil relationships to their limits.
Ten Terrific Ideas for Rainy Day Fun
It's been raining for a week and the kids and bored and restless. How do you cure those rainy day blahs? Try some of these parent tested and kid approved ideas and your children will be hoping for another rainy day when the sun finally peaks through.
Son, Can I Use The Car Tonight?
I recall somewhere in the recesses of my aging brain a time past when kids actually asked to borrow the family car for the evening. Heck, I even recall myself uttering that request to my folks many times.
The Homeopathic Nutraceutical Attend as an Alternative to Ritalin
You no longer have to use Ritalin or other stimulants to treat ADHD. You no longer have to consider anti-depressants as the alternative to stimulants.
Secrets from the Classroom: Avoiding Summer Learning Loss
In June, elementary school children across North America cheered as they packed up their bags for the final time, and began a much awaited summer vacation. For many this two-month academic hiatus is cause for celebration.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !