List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Parenting: 6 Observations on Fatherhood
Just the other day my oldest son asked:
"Daddy, am I old enough to call you Dad?"
Won't be long now before he is asking for the car keys.......
Here are a few things I'm learning as well as some important things I've discovered so far about this thing called fathering.
1. You really have to give up the myth of quality time vs quantity time. By the time the average child is 7 years old, they have watched 20,000 commercials. Given that amount of influence, infrequent "quality time" just doesn't cut it. It has to be quantity time that's of high quality.
2. As a dad you have been influenced and effected by the generations of fathering that went on before you. By the same token, the fathering we do will not effect only the children in our home. The job we do as fathers, for better or worse, will effect generations to come.
3. Sue Shellenbarer, a columnist for The Wall Street Journal has coined the phrase the "tomorrow trap." She describes the tomorrow trap as "living for the future, taking refuge in visions of a relaxed and rewarding personal and family life somewhere down the road.....a kind of mirage that people chase while in reality they are burying themselves in work and other pursuits."
Ouch. Sounds familiar to me, how about you? As dads we have to remember that not only does "someday" never come, it's not even on the calendar. Spend the savored time now, because today is here.
4. Some of us may not have had the best model for a dad in our own father, or perhaps no model at all. That's sad and painful. What it is not is an excuse. It can be a springboard for change. Whatever has been handed down to us, we can decide to change in this generation. There is so much information available now on how to do this dad thing.
5. Just he other day a father asked me "how do I play with my little kids." While it's sad that the question has to be asked, the answer is really quite simple. Get down on the floor with them, and let them lead. You follow.
6. "Daddy's home!" are two of the best words in the English language.
Visit SecretsofGreatRelationships.com for tips and tools for creating and growing a great relationship. You can also subscribe to our f*r*e*e 10 day e-program on how to enrich your relationship today, from relationship coach and expert Jeff Herring.
Public-School True Believers with a Mission
One reason public schools get away with educational failure, year after year, is because they are run by school officials who passionately believe in what they are doing. As the great English writer C.
Top Ten Common Sense Rules for Fathers
There are a lot of sophisticated parenting theories and techniques out there. Many of them are widely used and treated as the gospel.
Mommie Moments - Taking Time For Yourself
Being a parent is a role that requires a large majority of our attention and time. Whether you have one child or fourteen children, you are more than likely aware that personal time is at a minimal.
Non-Compliance in Your Children, Some Tips for Parents
Non-compliance is the family therapist's big word for your child not obeying you when you have asked him or her to do something. It is helpful because it is descriptive, and because it may also motivate us as parents to move our kids from being non-compliant to being compliant.
Are You Reading to Your Kids?
Over a number of years there have been issues raised concerning the literacy levels of eight year old children in schools. The number not meeting minimum literacy levels was almost at 30% only a few years ago.
Child Communication Skill: Do You Really Know What Your Child Is Saying To You?
Here's the scene of communication with your child: your three-year-old boy is bawling his eyes out. Hurriedly, you run over, and ask "What's wrong?".
Water Hazards For Young Children
Unfortunately each year many young children drown in swimming pools, other bodies of water, and standing water around the home area. Children must be watched by an adult at all times when in or near water.
My Husband Prioritizes Making Money Above Family Time
"Money is tight, and my husband's obsessed with doing everything he can to make more of it. It's gotten so bad that he's lost interest in our daughter.
Minimizing Homework Hassles
John Bishop's Goal Setting for Students.comParents - Minimize Homework Hassles?It's 6:30 at night and you just got home from a long day at work, but the day's not over yet.
Lifebooks: Every Adopted Child Needs One
Information is gold when you are adopted. Every tiny piece is precious, whether it's a photo or quote from the orphanage staff.
Selecting and Hiring Childcare Employees
In today's fast-paced society, many families depend on some form of childcare arrangements to help meet the demands of family and work. The majority of parents in America work outside the home, creating a need for dependable childcare.
Whats in a Name?
My cousin boasts five names and I confess that when I was younger that irritated me enormously. Worse than that, my sole middle name is Norman, just as my father's was before me, and his father before him.
How Being a Mom Makes You a Better Professional
"Becoming a parent can make you a better worker," New York Times writer Lisa Belkins said in a recent column.I'd always heard that becoming a parent made MEN better workers.
Raising a Self-Sufficient Teen
Teens don't learn responsibility overnight. If you haven't been working with your teen on gradually giving them a sense of independence and ownership of their lives, then you're going to have your work cut out for you.
Clean Kid Syndrome - Does Your Child Suffer from it?
The learning and development of Australian kids is under threat because they're not playing outdoors, engaging in constructive, creative play.A nationwide Newspoll survey revealed that the average kid is spending at most, just 10 percent of their free time playing outdoors at home.
We All Wish That Our Children Have Good Virtues, But... Are We Setting A Good Example Ourselves?
We all wish that our children should not smoke or drink, should not speak lies, should not steal, should not have a violent nature, etc..
Detox To Help Conception
Detox To Conceive..
Every parent wants their child to develop positive character traits. One way to supplement your child's character education is to act as a filter for the movies and television shows your child watches, and to review the books your child reads.
Natural Disasters: Help Your Child Cope With The Anxiety
How on earth can you help your family cope with the anxiety and fear that natural disasters strike into the heart of everyone?In early 2005, for example, the world was rocked by the tsunami in South East Asia that killed thousands and left many homeless and orphaned.Yet, at the Edinburgh International Festival yesterday I saw a group of Sri Lankan children, all victims of this natural disaster, perform a dance routine based on a play by Shakespeare.
Making Internet Chat Safe For Your Children
No matter what you say or do, your kids will chat and use IM (instant messengers) over the internet. That's a given.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !