List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Are You Putting Off Productivity?
I recently took a good look at what was keeping me from accomplishing what I needed to do. After all, I had my goals. I had them written down. I read my affirmations daily. And still, I was not achieving what I wanted to do.
Leaving town was a major undertaking. And that's not good when you're a professional speaker! I need to be able to leave at a moment's notice and arrive ready to give my full attention to my audience. So it was time for a look at what was holding me back. Here's what I found.
1. I used my desktop computer in the office. However, my accounting program and contact databases were on that machine, so my assistant also needed to use it. We sometimes found ourselves waiting for the other person to get off the machine before we could do what we needed to do.
2. I used a 3-lb laptop on the road. Though I rarely used them, I had to pack the CD player and floppy drive, plus the docking bar with the parallel port on it - just in case I needed any of those items.
3. I often found myself without a file I needed or a contact's information. It took me up to an hour or two before I left town each time to decide on and transfer what I needed to my laptop, then another 30 minutes or more when I returned to update my desktop with all I had worked on while I was gone.
4. I had an early 2MB Palm V that could not hold any e-books and did not sync with my Outlook calendar and contacts. So again, I spent a lot of time copying and pasting information between my desktop or my laptop and my Palm.
In general, things were not working well and the problems were pretty obvious.
Here's how I resolved most of my issues.
1. I bought a new laptop. This is 3 years newer than the other, but it's four times faster and has a larger screen. And while I traded a 3-pounder for a 7-pounder, my new laptop has a built-in floppy and a built-in CD burner. That means all the pieces are with me all the time. And with the CD burner, I can back up data quickly or move it to another computer easily - very nice when you need to use someone else's computer!
2. I moved my desktop to another office for my assistant. That means she and I can be working at the same time on the rare occasions I'm in the office - what a concept!
3. I only put the programs I need for my tasks on my laptop. So if I don't think I should be doing it, I didn't load the software. I did not put my accounting program or my databases on my laptop; instead, I'm delegating those tasks to my assistant (another new concept!) If I need to look at anything on those programs, I'll walk into her office and check.
4. I purchased a new color Palm. It's color with lots of memory. Best of all, it syncs with Outlook contacts, tasks, calendar and notes. Plus it uses Word and Excel, as well as Adobe Acrobat Reader. This is truly revolutionary! To ensure I have the information I need with me, I put the Palm into its cradle and it automatically syncs everything. No more deciding what to take, then copying and pasting it! I find I'm editing Word documents on the plane, plus I'm getting a lot of the e-books read in airports and sitting alone in restaurants. When I want to create an article from scratch (as I'm doing with this one), I use the keyboard.
In short, my travel life has changed dramatically in the past 2 weeks! And as I walk back into my office this afternoon, I'll pull my laptop out and put it on my desk, then sync it with my Palm. I will have everything with me that I've had on the road for the past 10 days. My assistant's work life won't be interrupted and we'll never lose a beat in getting the job done!
Just the sense of calm and control are worth it. No more frantic transferring of files as I leave. No more waiting to use my computer while she prints invoices for the month. No more... well, you get the idea! I'm thrilled with the make-over!
Do you need to review your productivity? Take this short quiz and see:
1. Do you always have the information you need with you - either on your cell phone, your laptop, and your PDA (personal digital assistant, such as a Palm Pilot or IPAQ)?
2. Are you trying to share a computer with anyone else?
3. Can you get on the Internet as often and as long as you need to?
4. If you need a client file while you're traveling do you have it? Can you get it within 15 minutes - even after hours?
5. If you need to move a file or print a file, so you have a way to do that while you're traveling?
6. Are there tasks that are not getting done? Why? Could it be cured by shifting or adding technology?
Remember: Technology is a tool that works FOR us. If you're working harder and longer because of the technology, it's not working the way it should. Don't put off productivity!
For more on productivity, get Jeanette's special repor "Ten Most Overlooked Productivity Tools" at TechTamers.com
Dr. Jeanette Cates is an Internet strategist who works with experts who are ready to turn their knowledge and their websites into Gold. Her reputation as a speaker and trainer has earned her the title of The Technology Tamer. Jeanette shares her news and views in OnlineSuccessNews.com
Is Online DVD Rental or Pay-Per-View the Best Way to Get Your Movies?
With renting methods such as online DVD rental and pay-per-view, it seems almost old-fashioned to go to the rental store. But with all the different ways to get the latest movies, which way is the best? Well, that depends on what is important to you.
A Tale of Two Regeds
Tech support tells me to type 'regedt32' as opposed to 'regedit' to access the registry from the command line (Start > Run). I question the use of 'regedt32,' but he says to do it anyway.
Windows PDA Medical Software Benefits
PDA Medical BenefitsIf you are concerned about your medical history, the Internet has some great windows medical pda software that is available for free. Freeware is all the rage, and finding good quality freeware that is medically related is easy and fun.
Deleting and Destroying Data Forever
Peoples' private information needs to stay private, even after it has been erased. Wait a minute, after it's been erased?Have you ever given away an old computer or diskette, deleting the files off it, or giving it a quick format to make sure your information is gone? That might not be enough to stop some one from easily recovering the information!When you delete a file, normally the operating system and file system say, "ok the file is gone!" but at the physical level the information is still there.
Consumer Electronic Information: The Basics of the DLP Projector
Projectors have come a long way in the past few decades. The desktop fossils that were once used to show home movies or classroom filmstrips are a thing of the past.
Setting File Permissions On A Unix Server
File permissions are one of the strengths that the Unix world has had over it's Windows contemporaries. Permissions are a means to control access to information on a computer, on a file by file basis.
Do Higher Digital Camera Prices Mean Better Cameras?
Understanding digital camera prices makes finding the best camera value much easier. Uncovering digital cameras best buys is easier if we know what's available within various price ranges.
Why Using an Ad Blocker Can be a Bad Idea
Ad Blocking is getting to be a common sport on the internet. Now there are some legitimate uses for an ad blocker.
7 Reasons NOT to Take Your Laptop on Holiday!
Heading off on vacation soon?Then perhaps you're tempted to take your trusty laptop along for the trip.After all, you bought it for its mobility, and it's nice to stay in touch via email with your family and friends back home.
Looking For an MP3 Player?
If you don't have an mp3 player, and even if you do, you should check out all the new stuff that's going on. I'm hoping this article will give you some idea of what kind of mp3 player you want and some tips on what to look for in an mp3 player.
Computer Performance Tips
Introduction In this article I will clearly spell out the most effective steps you can take in order to increase the performance of your computer and enhance your computing experience.More Memory (RAM) If your computer has less then 256 MB of memory you may want to consider adding more.
Keeping the Windows Registry Operational
The registry is where the computer stores information about the configuration of the system and the programs installed so that the operating system can use them.Regularly maintaining the registry is a basic requirement.
Occupational Therapy and PDAs
Occupational Therapy Made EasierMedical downloads for the pda have improved the life of both patients and doctors of all kinds. These freeware software downloads make many types of medical conditions much easier to manage.
Five Simple Steps to Speed up Your Computer
Most people download and save so much information on their computer that before long the computer starts slowing down and the user has no idea what the problem is. However, even if you are not a computer whiz there are several things you can easily do to speed up your computer quickly and easily.
5 Steps to Remove Spyware for Free
Have you ever tried to remove Spyware off your PC only to find out it never left or it came back? Tired of all those annoying Popups, Viruses, and Ads on your system day in and day out? Well, listen closely because the day has come to remove Spyware programs and Viruses - forever!I will give you some very useful tricks and tips to remove Spyware and Viruses for good! Follow closely:Steps to Remove Spyware, Viruses, and Adware1. There are many types of software available today that claim to remove spyware off our system, but which one REALLY does the job? What you need is software that not only will remove spyware, but TOTALLY removes it for good and keeps it off.
Tips For Getting Technical Support Help Online
Sometimes your PC will start acting strange for no apparent reason or a program which you use regularly will all of a sudden stop working as it should. This can be a frustrating experience especially if you have no idea where to go for help.
Basic Computer Maintenance
One of the most common questions computer users ask is, "How do I maintain my computer and keep it running great?" A computer is a lot like a car?it costs more than you think it should, it starts going down in value as soon as you bring it home and it requires regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly. Here are a few basic guidelines required to help keep your PC out of the shop:?Always use a surge protector! Power surges, spikes, lightning and brown-outs are all things that can literally burn up your computer & its peripherals.
MCSE 70-290 Certification Primer
Microsoft Certifications are one of the most widely acclaimed, pursued, and achieved technical certifications in the IT industry. The demand for Microsoft Certified Professionals in the job market is increasing every year.
How to Protect your PC from Spyware in the Cyber Age
Wouldn't you be shocked to find that your personal sensitive information, like files, credit card information, operating system / software and other non-disclosed data to be penetrated by unscrupulous prying eyes? Even worse..
Choosing a Portable MP3 Player: Part 1
MP3 players are everywhere! It seems that the number of makes and models in this market is growing daily, with features and capabilities intended to appeal to just about anyone shopping for one of these devices.MP3 players have been around much longer than the Apple iPod , but there is no arguing that this one device opened the market to a much larger customer base.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !