List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Will a 1031 Property Exchange Solve Your Problems?
If your problem is listed below, a 1031 exchange may or may not be your solution.
1. Are you a landlord that doesn't want to manage property anymore?
2. Do you want to sell your investment property, but don't want to pay huge amounts of Capital Gains Tax?
3. Is your current income property not producing enough income?
4. Do you have a low adjusted basis and not much debt on your rental?
5. Is your credit rating less than perfect?
If you answered yes to any of the above 5 questions, a traditional 1031 property exchange into another like-kind property might just put you right back to square one!
Let's address each of the 5 problems one at a time.
1. If you exchange your current property for another of equal or greater value you still are faced with the same landlord/tenant problems that you currently have. Sure, you could hire a property manager, but why is it that you currently don't have one?
2. A 1031 property exchange into a like-kind property does defer the payment of Capital Gains tax if you carry over all your equity and at least the same amount of debt. However, since your new property costs you at least as much as you sold the last for, your property taxes will most likely increase. The cost of your new investment has probably just gone up.
3. If your positive cash flow is currently nothing to write home about, your new property will have to justify higher rents, be located in an area with lower property tax, or have fewer maintenance costs. Otherwise, the chances of additional passive income are very slim.
4. Your adjusted basis will carry over as is to the new property, so you will receive the same depreciation benefits as on the prior property, unless you pay more for your exchanged property. Most likely a wash.
5. A poor credit score may result in a higher interest rate or poorer terms on your new mortgage, assuming you don't own your current property free and clear. Again, this translates into higher ownership costs. You will also pay two sets of closing costs in the transaction.
One more thing to consider is the time it may take to sell your current property, find a replacement property and secure all funding. This must be done within the 1031 specific time frames. Think of the times that escrows have fallen through and loans have dragged on forever and sometimes never closed at all.
Considering your dilemma and possible pros and cons, will a 1031 property exchange put you farther ahead, further behind, or at best put you right back in the same boat you are in now?
If the answer to the last question was not "farther ahead", let me suggest that you look into a 1031 exchange that has a slightly different twist.
It's called a 1031 exchange into a tenant in common property. This might just put you in the "farther ahead" category and solve many of your problems. Instead of exchanging into another solely owned investment property, you will get a fractional proportionate share of an A grade commercial property. You will have a deeded interest equal to your share of ownership (your exchange amount).
If done properly:
1. You will no longer be responsible for the property management
2. All capital gains will be deferred.
3. You can get a contractual monthly income from the equity transferred (usually 6-7%)
4. Your carryover basis is the same, but you can acquire extra non- recourse debt without qualifying and receive a higher interest deduction on your monthly income, thus making it less taxable.
5. The debt you acquire with the TIC (assuming your debt/equity ratio is within the accepted guidelines does not require you to obtain a mortgage or pay it down. This is called non-recourse debt. Your credit score does not become a factor, and the closing can be done in a matter of days, not weeks or months.
Now, ask your self again. Would a 1031 exchange into a tenant in common solve your problems? If the answer is "yes", what are you waiting for?
How much would you pay to save thousands in Capital GainsTax? I'll teach you for free in a Teleconference that may change your life. Sign up at ==> http://www.savegainstax.com - Defer Capital Gains Tax
Should You Sell Your Home Yourself?
Are you thinking about selling your home? Would you like to sell it by yourself instead of hiring a real estate agent? If so it would be beneficial to review the pros and cons of selling your home by yourself before hanging out the sign.PROSSelling your home without an agent means More Money.
Moldy Homes are a Great Investment
Have you seen this in your classifieds? -"Will pay $$$ for moldy homes. Call 555-555-5555"All you have to do is watch the news and you know about mold problems.
Guide To Finding Maui Waterfront Property
Have you ever dreamed of living in a spectacular tropical paradise where you spend your days sitting on a beach watching the waves roll in? Where the air is clean, the climate always warm and your neighbors are always welcoming you with warm smiles and sincere hellos? The place you've always dreamed of is probably Maui. Whether you're looking for a waterfront vacation property, a new place to live and work or are considering options for retirement, purchasing a Maui waterfront property could be the answer to your tropical paradise dreams.
Real Estate Professional in the Palm of Your Hand
GETTING THE MOST FOR THE LEASE-TRACKING YOUR REAL ESTATEIf you own rentals and/or investment properties, you know that you have to keep track of your portfolio, maintenance profiles, property managers, and related financial matters. There are a multitude of programs for the Palm-Pilot system to keep up with lease dates, lease expirations, and rent due dates.
How To Negotiate A Higher Price For Your House
Negotiation is where many FSBO home sellers really have problems. The wrong attitude or a slip of the tongue could cost you thousands.
The Real Estate Agent Alphabet
Alphabet Letters after a person's name seem to bestow some kind of special prestige. PHD, MD, ESQ are common.
Greed Can Cost You Your Shirt!
The proper action when things are going well is to pay off debt and consolidate your position. Then you will be financially strong and can go for further expansion without fear of loosing what gains you already have.
10 "No Money Down" Ways to Buy Real Estate
Turn the Television on any Sunday morning and you'll find yourself in the middle of a "how to buy real estate" infomercial. Can you really buy a house with no down payment? Can you really make thousands or millions of dollars buying real estate.
Where Does Your Real Estate Commission Fee Go - Why is The Commission so HIGH?
Many who have bought and sold properties through Realtors numerous times; even many real estate agents themselves, don't know where the commission money goes. After all, when a property sells for hundreds of thousands of dollars and the commission is tens of thousands of dollars, it seems like there is a terrific amount of money charged as commission -- and there is.
What Can I Realistically Earn In A Lease Purchase Business?
If you're looking at Lease Purchasing as a business, you'll obviously want to earn much more than the $20,000 per year in our "How To Give Yourself A $20,000/Year Raise Without Asking Your Boss" article. Let's review the numbers from that article: For every 100 calls Sue makes on For Sale By Owner property, she either speaks with or leaves messages for about 60%.
Before Selling Your Home
Here are some important steps you should take before you put your house on the market:1. Home Loan Approval for your next HomeYou don't want to be signing a contract to sell your house before knowing if you are qualified to buy another.
Afford A Dream Home In Belize
Shopping for property in Belize is not as simple an undertaking as you might initially expect!Firstly, real estate agents as we know them are non existent! Real estate brokers that do exist are likely to be unlicensed, unregulated and certainly not trained or insured.Secondly, the majority (and I mean the majority) of property for sale is not advertised!But with property prices remaining affordable, the quality of property available attractive, the climate beautiful, the people welcoming, the quality of life incredible and the opportunities in Belize plentiful, more and more people need to know HOW they can go about procuring themselves their dream home in Belize.
Is Housing and Real Estate Bubble Hype Irrational Exuberance?
Not so, says the author of this article and four real estate books including the recent "1001 Tips for Buying and Selling a Home". The upside of the hype is for real estate consumers and investors.
Real Estate Investing - The Marvel Of Home Depot And Lowes
Repairing a rental home (or your own home) use to require running down to the local hardware store or to the nearby building supply house. After several stops around town, you found everything you needed to solve your maintenance problem.
European Second Home Prices Wilt in Drought
Spain and Portugal have suffered one of their worst droughts on record this summer, with consequences from empty swimming pools for the tourist to economic disaster for farmers losing their crops and livestock.Roger Munns, Managing Director of Tribune Properties, predicts that property prices in the two European countries could drop as much as fifteen per cent in some areas as more owners decide to put their villas and apartments on the market.
How Come No One Told Us About This When We Were Buying a Home?
Development, it's bound to happen.Simply because there is a large open field, or the property you're looking at borders woods, doesn't mean it will or can stay that way in the future.
Selling Your House Fast!
The physical senses of buyers respond to a home's design, and buyer base their purchase decisions on what the see, hear, smell, touch, and even taste. But what do buyers actually want?All buyers what a home that most closely suits their needs and makes them feel a sense of happiness.
Wealth Building - An Advantage of Home Ownership
As you grow older, the issue of wealth building comes front and center. Wealth building simply refers to increasing the net value of your total assets.
Selling Property - Valuing Your Property
Selling property privately has many advantages over using an estate agent. However estate agents can provide useful local information not available from the internet.
Buying and Selling Distressed Houses for Maximum Profit (Update)
If you want to become a real estate investor, find a "fixer-upper" owned by an anxious seller. Finding distressed houses at bargain prices, fixing them up, and then selling them on a consistent basis can make you a multi-millionaire.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !