List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
6 Keys to Successfully Screening Church Staff and Volunteers
Whether you are in the process of formulating a screening policy for your congregation, or already have a screening program in place, here are some tips to help you with your efforts to protect your church family.
1. Get your house in order.
2. Assess risk and determine the screening requirements for the position in question. Assess the level of power, authority and control of those who minister, the level of vulnerability of those being ministered to, and the risk that harm could be committed by sexual harassment, exploitation, assault, emotional, verbal, physical, spiritual or financial abuse. Screen appropriately for the level of risk inherent in the position.
3. Gather information from those to be screened, including the following:
4. Check with the candidate's references - preferably in writing. Ask them a series of key questions to reveal any past history of inappropriate conduct. Well worded inquiries will reveal the most information about a candidate.
5. Check appropriate public records. Based on the candidate's residential address history, perform a criminal history records check at the state level (almost all states have a central repository available), and the county level (all are available) going back five to seven years. Similarly, check with the appropriate state Sex Offender Registries (most state's now have free on-line checks available). If the candidate will have access to church financial assets, include a credit bureau check. If the candidate will be driving for church related activities, include a driving record check.
6. Comply with the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Employers that use outside agencies to assemble background information on their candidate's must comply with certain disclosure and notice requirements. Consult your legal council, or link to http://www.oxforddoc.com/pdf/fcra.pdf for an overview of the FCRA requirements and free samples of the disclosures and notices.
About The Author
Glen Johnson, founder of Oxford Document Management Company, has worked exclusively with denominational leadership, legal experts, and risk management professionals for over 14 years to create and administer screening programs that are the "standard" in the religious community. For more information about the screening of church personnel, call 1.800.801.9114 or visit Oxford Document's web site at http://www.oxforddoc.com.
Be Careful How You Live -- Ephesians 5:15-20
There is a sharp contrast in Ephesians between the "light" and the "dark" (cf. 5:8).
The Dark Side of The Pope
If you look at just the man/women after he/she has died, what part of the humanity do you eulogize?Every person has something to bring to us in his or her death; it is a gift from the other side and is the knowledge of the past and an open door to a new path for the future. The life lived by any person can motivate us to a brighter and more enlightened future.
An Open Letter to Pope Benedict
Dear Ratzy,I have a good solution to the clergy abuse scandal rocking your church.Give them professional level sexual satisfaction for free.
Do You Have Disciples?
Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." That was the command of the master, Jesus of Nazareth when he walked the face of this earth to two fishermen, Simon and his brother, Andrew.
Millions worldwide suffer from malnutrition and the threat of starvation. One-third of the grain in the world is being used to feed to animals to fatten up for slaughter.
How to Handle Negative Feelings When Wronged by Someone Else
How does a Christian really handle negative feelings and emotions when they start to set in as a result of being wronged by others - especially if the wrong has been vicious and nasty?The Bible tells us that God is asking all of His people to live on a higher level than the nonbeliever. The Bible tells us to forgive those who trespass against us, to turn the other cheek when warranted, to love our enemies and to do good to those who deliberately hurt us.
Crazy in Love
Several years ago my cousin was pleased to find out that she wasn't going crazy,she found out that what she suffered from was O.C.
The Gospel According to the Americans - Our Shame
As a deist, Thomas Jefferson may have thought God was indifferent, but gospel twisting preachers and theologians of the day seem to think God is a clown. One preacher appears regularly on television pushing his book entitled?How to be Rich and Have Everything You Ever Wanted.
Keep on Singing
The prisoners of Sing Sing, one of the most repressive, oppressive and dehumanizing penal institutions ever erected on the grounds of New York, were prohibited from singing during their incareration. The authorities felt that it would contribute to prison disturbance and ultimately, chaotic discord.
A Strong Anchor
Stories have been told about the only thing that saved the lives of the people aboard a ship in a storm was a strong anchor. But, there are also stories of those who perished when their anchor did not hold.
Straight Talk about Homosexuality
In the mid 90's, a Presbyterian minister named Steve Brown conducted an interview with the lesbian Pastor from the largest Gay Church in America. Steve had already laid the ground rules for their dialogue regarding the expected, conservative, fundamentalist stance on homosexuality.
The Christian Community Tries To Take Back What Belongs To Them!
"See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." Is.
What Does The Religious Right Really Want?
What does the Religious Right really want? Well, besides power, money and control, what they really want is to see a radical Right judge appointed to the Supreme Court. Why? To overturn Roe v.
Religion and Social Engineering - Part of an Introduction
Thomas Carlyle is just one of the interesting characters who had much to do with Calvinism and the Knox family he married into. Friedrich Nietzsche never really completed a book and yet before he went crazy his Wagnerian or Illuminized 'radical aristocratic' handlers used him well.
Why Go To Church - Want To Know 13 Reasons?
It's not necessary to go to church in order to get saved and therefore go to heaven, but going to church still has very important benefits that can help improve your life and keep it in order.Below are 13 reasons why we should attend church services on a regular basis.
Truth, Justice and the American Way to Boil a Frog
Using a good tool over and over doesn't make it any less valuable it only proves its usefulness. That said; let's review the old boiling frog story one more time.
Ultimate Truth:The Invitation
Religion is so many things. From what we can see nowadays, it is a business, society And a whole lot more ways humans operate religion.
It is written in Revelation 1:1 The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw-that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Gods 4 Avenues to Reach the Lost During the Tribulation
If the Church is raptured off the face of the earth before the 7 year Tribulation starts, then how does God go about getting anyone saved during the 7 year Tribulation if there is no Church or main body of believers left to preach the gospel? The Bible says that a great multitude of people will get saved during the Tribulation.God is going to reach the lost during this horrific time through 4 basic avenues.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !