List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Beating the Small Business Cash Flow Blues
Small business owners can relieve a lot of their own cash flow problems, according to Caroline Jordan, small business advisor and author. "Small business owners have more control over their cash flow than they realize." says Jordan.
To help you get a jumpstart on solving your own cash flow woes, Jordan offers a free, "Cash Flow Master checklist" that you can get by sending a blank email to TheJordanResultfirstname.lastname@example.org. Jordan also suggests the following tips to help you understand why cash flow problems plague 66% of small businesses.
1. Avoid the dreaded "Fly by the Seat of Your Pants" accounting method.--Businesses need to systematically track income, expenses, accounts receivable, and accounts payable. If you only know how your business is doing once a year at tax time, you're bound to end up deeply mired in the Cash Flow Swamp.
2. Developing "Strength in Numbers"-Once you have your accounting system in place you need to learn what the numbers are telling you and how to use those numbers to manage and grow your business.
3. Keep tight control of credit-Business owners can get themselves in credit trouble two different ways; poor credit granting practices and shortsighted use of credit from banks, credit cards, and vendors.
4. Be sure your Receivables and Payables "play nice" together-The money owed to you by your customers should arrive in time for you to pay your vendors and your employees. When your customers take 60 days to pay and your vendors want to be paid in 30 days, you can quickly end up with a Cash Flow Crunch.
5. Make decisions based on Cash Flow not Profit-Many businesses that fail are profitable when the doors close. What those businesses don't have is CASH. When you pursue that big, juicy contract or think about hiring another employee, always ask yourself "What will this do to my cash flow?"
6. Don't forget your debt to society- Some bills are easy to forget. Bills like sales tax, payroll taxes, and estimated taxes. Ignoring them doesn't make them go away. Planning ahead makes the bite easier to take and keeps your from suffering Tax Day sticker shock. Scrambling to find money for taxes causes major cash flow problems.
7. Don't spend your company's future on a speed boat-Everybody loves toys. Don't make the mistake of thinking all the profits of your business are "fun money". You've heard it many times from personal financial planners that you should have enough cash put aside for six months of expenses. This is true for your business, too. Sales ebb and flow. Expenses rise. Customers leave. Vehicles break down. Computers fry. The number one rule of small business is "Stuff Happens". Having a reserve of cash keeps your cash flow from tanking every time a new challenge appears.
Caroline Jordan, MBA is the small business Cash Flow Master. Get more free cash flow resources by visiting http://www.TheJordanResult.com/mastering.html
To Buy A Fat Pig
What does buying a fat pig have to do with your business? Stick with me and all will be revealed.Does your business have a tactical and a strategic way to go to market? Let's go down to Mr.
Small Business 101: Deadly Ignorance
American small business is again in transition. Many employees, now working from home, are no longer tied to a geographic office and the woes of commuting.
Starting An E-Commerce Business: Baby Steps
Starting your own e-commerce business can be quite the adventure. There is nothing wrong with falling head over heels in love with your ideas and plans and becoming overly excited, but always remember, feet first.
Essex Accountants: Top Things to Look For
One of the most common horrific mistakes a business can make is hiring the wrong accountant. Once hired, it can be very costly to hire a replacement accountant due to the nature of the job which inherently and directly impacts your bottom line.
Small Business Opportunities And The Tens
You may find this Newsletter a little long winded but it's for a good cause: It's all designed for Your Success!One of my favorite quotes is by Alfred d'Souza. It goes like this:"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin, real life.
Secrets to Washing Fleets of Trucks from a Nationwide Fleet Washing Service
Washing the exterior of a truck. Sounds easy right? Well, it's not really.
Dont Wait - Sell The Future Now!
Just as you are about to say "good-bye" to your hair stylist, you get the question, "shall we make our next appointment?"Most businesses sell products or services that are cyclical in their "need" curve. In other words, the client has need of your product at regular intervals of time.
Starting A Concrete Cleaning Pressure Washer Business
Concrete cleaning can be a lucrative business to start. Here are some tips which will help you do it right.
10 Cardinal Rules for Business Growth
After over 30 years of participating in hundreds of businesses, competing in at least as many different industries, with companies marketing both products and services, you begin to develop and accumulate some fundamental businesses axioms or "rules of thumb" that seem to make more sense everyday and gain more value in business practice as your career continues to advance and evolve.You like to think what you have learned and the business knowledge you have retained along your long and varied career path is unique, proprietary, or even "original", but somewhere deep inside you know that most of the things you hold near and dear to your own business self identity probably were already developed, practiced, and taught way before you ever entered your first business conference room.
Where Can I Get Clients From?
The following tips have come from a wide variety of sources; some from other successful businesses we know, some from our Home-Based and Small Business Support Group meetings and some we've developed by trial and error.Some of the ways to get clients are:contact previous employers;mailing lists;cold call your target market;attend group meetings and seminars for your target market (conventions for doctors, lawyers; computer seminars);attend local Chamber of Commerce meetings;join groups related to your target market;if your target market uses a specific system, for example accountants use the SafeGuard system, contact them and tell them that you are available to teach them how to use the system or you can do it for them.
7 Essentinal Resources for Small Business
So you want to start a business but you don't have a lot of money? Start your business online, and it won't be a problem.There are some pretty terrific resources you can use.
Lawyers Everywhere Telling Regulators What Laws to Make
The Federal Trade Commission decided to sit down and revamp the franchise rule of the 1970's. They started to do it in 1995 and postponed it then had some comments collected in 1997 and then in 1999.
Covenants Not To Compete: Another Franchise Quandary
Imagine that you have operated a successful franchise business for the past several years. Your franchise agreement's term expires in the near future and you are contemplating whether renewing the agreement would be a wise business decision.
The Power of Why: Your Psychological Ally To Marketing Success!
Here's why 'WHY' is such a profit-making marketing trigger."Stop taking two and three plates of food," my mother said to me angrily.
How to Effectively Design Your Business Image
In many industries, image is one of the last things business owner looks at. If business is not booming, they assume there is something wrong with the sales method, as opposed to the image.
Growing Your Small Business Through Alliances and Joint Ventures
-- Beyond Cold Calling, "Warm" Calling and Sending E-mails --Many Solo Entrepreneurs work from a home office. Our only connections to the outside world are the internet / e-mail and the telephone.
Motorcycle Detailing Procedures Manual Sample Outline
If you are a motorcycle detailer and need to expand your business you will need to have several crews working for you. Each team will need a team leader and/or manager.
Small Business Success - It's a Matter of Confidence
I was floored! I couldn't believe what they were saying! But there they sat -- three of the biggest film stars of our age -- telling the world they had issues with confidence. I was watching an interview where Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman and Julianne Moore were talking with Oprah Winfrey.
Your Practice is Only as Valuable as Your Referral Base
Many physical therapists in private practice have the appearance of a very successful business that is built on the backs of about four to five doctors. Now if anything would happen to any of these guys, the value of these practices would drop markedly.
Leveraging Business Relationships for more Profits
When should you leverage the relationship?Leveraging sometimes brings a negative connotation to the mix. It does not have to be that way.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !