List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Rudy Giuliani
1. Leadership Is Learned - While many people appear to have an innate ability to lead, most learn from their life and business experiences, then put these lessons into practice. Giuliani wrote, "The greatest leadership you ever have is the ability to lead your own life."
2. Understand Good Leaders, Not Good Leadership - Giuliani wrote, "Read biographies of leaders you admire. That will tell you more about leadership than any leadership book."
3. Learn Throughout Life - Education doesn't stop when you quit attending school. In Giuliani's words: "That's how I ended up on the morning of September 12, reading a biography of Churchill. I was thinking, 'I'm going to deal with something I haven't dealt with before. Let me see if I can learn something.'"
4. Stand Up To Bullies - It's important to have a sense of justice?"to realize you have to stand up to people who take advantage of those who are weaker."
5. Discourage Yes-Men/Women - As the saying goes, if we both have the same opinion one of us is unnecessary. Build the team in your small business with people who don't think exactly like you.
6. Reflect, Then Decide - Before making important decisions, learn everything you can about the topic. Giuliani said as soon as he found out he had cancer he began collecting information and suddenly felt safe, because then he could go to work doing something about it.
7. Don't Listen To Critics - Anytime you're in charge, there will be people "chirping" in the background. Giuliani didn't let them distract him from doing what he believed was right.
8. Become An Expert - Giuliani wrote: "When people come to you to ask for advice and information because you know more about a subject than they do, that's a sign of great leadership."
9. Be Respectful - Use the Golden Rule: treat others as you want to be treated. "People know when you're talking down to them, and they will not respect you," he said.
10. Stay Close To Your Customers - In Giuliani's case, this meant being with constituents, New Yorkers, in the weeks after 9/11. Remember him in the NYFD baseball cap and blue jeans, there to provide comfort and determination for all?
11. Communicate And Inform - In all of his press conferences and briefings after 9/11, Giuliani provided facts and details, understanding the importance of candid statements at all times. Let your team know what's going on in your small business.
Copyright © 2005 by Success Handler, LLC. All rights reserved.
The Coach, David Handler, is the founder of Success Handler, (http://www.successhandler.com), and specializes in helping small business leaders find clarity and take action. He understands the challenges of running a business, because he's been there - as a small business owner, franchisee, franchisor, corporate leader and trainer. Much like sports coaches, his coaching will show you how to compete on a level playing field in your industry.
Your Ideal Client - A Key Concept for Solo and Small Business Marketing
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."--Bill CosbyHave you ever had clients that were more trouble than they were worth? Maybe they were always late to pay, or didn't do what they said they'd do.
Consistency with Janitorial and Cleaning Businesses
Consistency is a huge word when operating your business. I believe it is one of the key ingredients to success.
How To Write A Business Plan
Writing a business plan is a fundamental step to ensuring your business has every chance of succeeding. Common statistics state that 9 out of 10 businesses fail on the first 5 years of operation, and of the remaining 10%, 90% fail in the following 5 years.
Building A Business That Works For You
Before you want to build your business, you need to know why you are in this business.Many of us entered business as a technician.
Specialty Advertising in C-Stores
It appears the mini-blimp indoor theme and concept is making significant headway. We have seen them in the halls of Congress sniffing for anthrax.
Small Business Computer Security, the Basics
Anyone in business today realizes both the natural dependency on computers in the workplace, and also the potential dangers associated with storing important data on them. Today's business owners are constantly being reminded that their company's data is at risk by the daily reports on various news stations, or even their favorite business-related website.
20 Great Ways to Market Your Business Locally
Whether your target audience is in your neighborhood or across the world, you can use your local resources to get the word out about your business. Your local community is easily accessible and provides dozens of opportunities for building a buzz about your product or service.
How to Profit from Business Consulting Opportunities
Business consulting opportunities might be just what your are looking for in a home based business.What do you do? Do you possess a mastery of your career? Are you articulate and able to convey ideas clearly? If so, you may be the perfect candidate for providing business consulting services.
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From The Supreme Court
1. Have A Strong Constitution - Justices deliver decisions by interpreting the U.
Over Disclosure Hurts Businesses
Many investors and business ethics professionals are calling for more transparency and regulators are calling for more disclosure. Yet in the franchising industry this can spell disaster indeed.
Dispute Resolution of Territory for Mobile Franchised Companies
Franchisors of home based and mobile businesses need to carefully watch their franchisees who innately try to hunt in their fellow franchisees territories. The most important advice a franchisor should give the franchised outlets in this case is to work it out themselves.
Small Business Mistakes: Are You Making Enough of Them?
That's right are you making enough mistakes in your business? Some of you are probably annoyed at my question; others are thinking "Geez, Rose! If I made any more mistakes I'd have to run screaming back to a day job!"If you went to school in the public school system in America, you were culturally trained to avoid and hide mistakes, after all; your teachers and professors didn't give you a great grade for your efforts unless those efforts produced great results. So, too, if you were an employee in corporate America you were rewarded for chasing perfection and penalized for making mistakes.
Why Small and Medium-Sized Businesses Should
As the owner or an employee of a small-to medium-sized business, you might have never thought about media monitoring. Maybe you are not even sure what exactly is meant by this and have thus ignored it so far.
Banking and Company Credit Card Policies for Small Business
Does your small business have a banking and credit card policy? If not, perhaps you might wish to think on it. Developing such policies and procedures is not a difficult task.
To Buy A Fat Pig
What does buying a fat pig have to do with your business? Stick with me and all will be revealed.Does your business have a tactical and a strategic way to go to market? Let's go down to Mr.
Auto Detailers and Competitive Aspects of Automobile Detailing
There are both fixed and mobile detailers. Consumers often will use either or both during the life of their car.
An Example of Business Automation - eCards with pizazz
The last time I spoke and went into a bit of detail on business automation. Today I would like to give you some details of how I actually used it personally so you get to see first-hand what I wanted, how I went about doing it and finally executing it.
Five Facts and One Motivating Factor Behind a Successful Home Business
All legitimate home business entrepreneurs insist and announce loud and clear that a successful home business is not about an overnight thing. And that you cannot get rich overnight and so on.
Finding the Right Virtual Assistant for Your Small Business
Articles abound advising the business community how to properly screen when looking for a Virtual Assistant (VA). Unfortunately, some of the advice may lead you astray, as it often ignores the fact that VAs are not employees but independent contractors providing professional business to business (B2B) services.
Accounting and Billing Procedures for Small Business
No matter how small your small business is, it is essential to have some sort of accounting and billing police and methodology. This will prevent you from making mistakes and upsetting vendors or even bouncing checks.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !