List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Nine Sure Fire Ways to Boost Your Career
1. Differentiate yourself using a Personal Value Proposition. A PVP a description of how your unique mixture of five key elements creates and/or adds value for an organization and the people in it. A personal examination of these elements reminds you of all the strong, positive things you bring to the table and it points out the gaps you need to close before you can position yourself more effectively. Examine each element separately, combine all the data and created a succinct summary of what you have to offer.
The five elements are:
2. Describe yourself in terms of the outcomes you create, not the activities you engage in. Fashion a one-line proclamation, a marketing slogan if you like, that reflects the outcomes you create for your company and its customers.
3. Make it your personal mission to always make others, including your boss, look good. Someone once said, "you can have anything you want; all you have to do is give others what they want." While there is the odd exception to be sure, most people are fair and honest-willing to share credit where it's due. Making others look good sweeps you up in their success and almost guarantees that they will help you enjoy successes of your own.
4. Be a can-do person; take to heart the words of the old song, "the difficult I can do right now; the impossible will take a little while." Instead of saying "I've never done that," say, "I'll learn how to do it." Don't be afraid of steep learning curves. Remember the organization hired you because you were smart. Look for the opportunity in difficulties rather than the difficulties in the opportunities.
5. Develop success from failures. Don't be afraid to fail or make mistakes. But if you do either take responsibility-don't project or rationalize. Admitting a mistake or failure and moving forward is proactive not reactive. Above all, identify and remember the learning opportunities in the situation. Forget about everything else and move on.
6. Ask for help. IQ expands exponentially. Together, two people bring four times the intelligence. Super-hero individualism is often counter-productive.
7. Remember the Pareto principle, or the 80/20 rule as it's more commonly known. Eighty percent of your effectiveness comes from twenty percent of your activities. Manage your priorities and don't waste time spinning your wheels by engaging unimportant activity.
8. Get yourself in front of an audience. Learn to make effective presentations and make as many as you can. Good presentations are the mark of a true professional. You, your ideas and skills receive broader corporate exposure that, in my experience, can result in challenging new assignments, larger budgets, greater general recognition and even raises and promotions.
9. Develop and use internal and external networks, both formal and informal. People who network well often receive and move information faster, cut through organizational politics more quickly and, create solutions better suited to the needs of their companies. Research in different types of organizations shows that those who develop and use networks usually get to serve on more successful teams, receive early promotions more often, get higher compensation, and get better performance reviews.
About The Author
© Dr. Tom Olson 2004, all rights reserved Permission to reprint article granted as long as this signature remains intact.
Dr. Tom Olson is the author of Don't Die With Your helmet On. Visit www.Dontdiewithyourhelmeton.com for more information about Dr. Tom, the book and his work
"See, I told you so," she emailed me, "it turned out just like I said. All that talk about positive thinking is just bs.
8 Categories to Instantly Organize Your Success Strategy
You're enjoying a perfectly shallow conversation with a good friend over coffee, discussing your oldest child's latest broken bone fiasco and how long it takes you to drive across town with the traffic these days, when out of nowhere he asks, "Do you ever wonder where all this day to day will lead? What are your goals in life?"Right now stop and answer this one question: Do you have an overall blueprint for your life? In detail with a complete list of goals including the action steps necessary to achieve them? Chances are you are not completely able to answer me yes. You may have a decent idea of what your life is about and might be able to name off some wants and desires, but most likely you do not have a blueprint for your life.
Simple Money Spells
Magic doesn't have to be complicated. Here are some very simple rituals that might help you increase the overall prosperity in your life.
How to Network Your Way to Success
Successful people do not achieve success on their own, they surround themselves with a well-developed, sophisticated support network. In a world that grows more complex and more competitive each day, networking is necessary not only for survival but for high achievement"?excerpt from the best-selling book "Masters of Networking".
Staying Cool When the Job Heats Up
Jobs are heating up. We're all feeling the pinch of hiring freezes and information overload.
The 5 Categories You Want To Succeed In
If it comes to the question what we really want in our life the answer is always "Pleasure". Whatever happens to you, your brain asks 2 questions.
Reach Your Goals - Progressive Goal Party
Hold a "progressive" goal party If you have a group of friends with the same goal who live in close proximity (or who can meet up comfortably in a third-party establishment), get them involved in a progressive goal party. The idea is to meet at one location, where you all complete one part of the goal as a group, then move on to the next (carpool or walk) to complete the second part, and so on.
Potholes On The Road To Success
Howdy folks, today I would like to speak to you about the journey to success. Potholes on that road to be more exact.
Succeed By Looking Forward
We all want something to look forward to. The best way to attract it into our lives is to look forward to it.
7 Essential Body Language Tips
The secrets of our body language have been around forever yet people constantly fail to recognize the importance of using body language to their advantage. Did you know that people only pay attention to 7% of what we say? Where does the rest of their attention go? You guessed it right: our body language.
Extend Your Influence Without Shortening Your Life
Please repeat these four words out loud: "Maximum Impact..
Individualistic Sucess Models
In individualistic success models, success is not due to the individual's relationship with his external environment or place in society, but, rather, a matter of individual accomplishment or, in some cases, a measure of his relationship with God. These models had their roots originally in Protestant Calvinism and are the typical ones you will see in "Success" books.
Change Your Results by Changing Your Expectations
Our expectations get us into a lot of trouble and often cause a lot of stress. We expect our customers to always come back; we expect our boss to behave in a certain way; we expect the company we work for to take care of us; and we expect coworkers to be team players.
Top 10 Strategies Of Highly Successful Professionals
Last Thursday evening, I was the guest of a group of therapists who interviewed me about how I've built my businesses over the years - both my therapy offices and my coaching business. Their probing, and very pointed, questions dramatically helped me clarify exactly what strategies have worked for me and my clients over the years.
Reach Your Goals - Believe In Your Own Divine Nature
Believe in your own Divine nature Despite the varying religious backgrounds that the world offers, all religions have one thing in common - a belief that their deity ordains each person's existence here on earth, usually through direct assistance in the birth process by the creation and gifting of a soul. That means that you are here because the omnipotent creator of the Universe thinks it's a good idea.
Setting Yourself Up For Success
Most people want to be successful in life. But success can mean different things to different people: making more money; spending quality time with your family; or learning to play a musical instrument.
Discover The 90/10 Secret: It Will Change Your Life
The 90/10 secret is incredible! Very few know and apply this secret. The result? Millions of people are suffering undeserved stress, trials, problems, and heartache.
The 7 Ultimate Laws Of Success
There are certain laws that when obeyed will bring great success to the people who practice them. These are the 7 Ultimate Laws Of Success.
Practical Nine-Step Guide to Max Productivity
Step 1: List all the business activities that you complete (regularly or not). Examples: phone calls, meetings, paperwork, projects, sales, follow-up procedures, writing, learning/researching, web site design, delivering core services (substitute name), etc.
Adaptability as a Key to Success
Do you ever stop to consider how much we change and grow as people? I'm not talking so much about "maturing" or physical growth. What I'm driving at is the changes that occur inside of us; the changes in thought and self perception.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !