List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Remembering What You Read - Nine Effective Strategies
Reading lots these days? Having trouble remembering and recalling? For many, reading is a passive activity. And, as with many passive activities, it's challenging for the brain and the body to absorb and assimilate information. On the other hand, the more actively engaged and involved the reader is, with as many senses as possible, the greater the likelihood the reader will be able to remember and recall information. The name of the game is planting information into our memory web in such a way that we can harvest it later on. So, here are nine tools and techniques you can use in the planting process.
1. Initially, it's important to explore your self-images and beliefs around past experiences with reading. The short of it is if one believes and has images of oneself as "never being able to get it," "reading is hard," "I've never been a good reader" "I can never remember what I read," etc., this is the place to start.
All the tools and techniques probably won't work if one believes one could not or cannot "successfully master reading." Or, one will begin to use some new tools and most likely revert back to old habits and patterns and fall into the "insanity" mode of reading, "OK, this time I'll really "try"(failure-based word) and focus and see if it'll be different." Same methods; wishing for different results. One needs to do some work to unfreeze their self-defeating and sabotaging beliefs and images if one is to be open to and refreeze new supportive habits, images and patterns. So, begin to change your self-sabotaging images of who you are as a reader and see yourself as being able to remember and recall whatever you want every time you read.
2. A first tool is to outline the parts of the reading you wish to harvest later on. You can use an outlining 101" format, with the various "levels" of information. Whenever you do any outlining, either on the computer or by hand, always use color (but no black or blue. Whenever you outline, never" copy" text word-for-word from the text. Always change the text and put it into our own words, facilitating the planting process for later harvesting. While you're reading, if possible, play "soft" classical music.
3. If there are key terms or phrases or concepts you wish to own, make flash cards, always in color. Using the flash cards, go through them one by one. The ones you know go into one pile; those you don't into another. Then start again with that other pile. The ones you know go into one pile, the ones we still don't, into another pile. Repeat the process with the "other" pile, as the repetition will support the planting of information. Again, never copy word-for-word from the text. Always massage it to make it yours.
4. Then, using the outline and flash card information, you become the "instructor" and create test questions (open and closed) from the text. Folding a sheet of paper, vertically, the questions go on the outside and the responses go on the inside, always in color. Review the questions or ask someone to "quiz" you, as often as you can.
5. Again, playing the "instructor" and supporting your "getting it," ask a few friends or colleagues if they have some time and the willingness to allow you to "instruct" them in this new material. One of the best ways to learn something is to teach it. So, teach it.
6. Hold the book, or document, in front of you just below eye level. No sitting and slouching and having the book down on or near your lap ...or lying on you desk...both of which can wreak havoc with the neck, sucking energy and tiring the body and adversely affecting the reading experience.
7. In addition to meditation prior to reading which can be very effective, use lots of visualization. That is, become the director of your own movie and create a movie and animate it, seeing and feeling your self in the animation. See, hear, and feel yourself "teaching," or in a discussion, or writing an article using the information as you reconstruct it from memory, and use every sense, and incorporate as many details and feelings as possible in your visualization.
It's important to stay energized and alive during the reading. So.
8. Periodically (every 15 minutes, every 30 minutes but at least every 45 minutes) stop reading and do some energy work. Do some yoga, Tai Chi, stretching, and breathing. When stretching and doing energy work, work with the lower half of the body to bring the energy down from the head where you've been for some time in order to balance the energy in your body. Cup our hands over your eyes (but NOT if you're wearing contact lenses) and with eyes open, move your eyes right to left, left to right, diagonally; or visualize a clock in the back of your head and randomly, quickly, "look at" different numbers on the clock. Or might hold your arm directly out in front of us and move your arm in an infinity sign (first small signs; then larger signs) going one way then the other, and then switching to the other arm (left brain-right brain balancing). Tap your head all over with your fingertips to stimulate and energize the brain.
9. Be aware of your breathing. When your breathing comes from your belly and abdomen, you are relaxed; when it comes from the throat and neck area, you're experiencing stress. So, do often do some deep breathing exercises to move to a relaxed state.
Conscious and consistent use of these nine strategies over time can support you to be a more effective reader, not just in planting information, but also in recalling information as you need it. Happy reading!
Peter G. Vajda, Ph.D, is co-founder of SpiritHeart, an Atlanta, GA firm specializing in coaching, counseling and facilitating. Peter focuses on personal, business and relationship coaching. He can be reached at 770-804-9125 and firstname.lastname@example.org
In Success Language, Failure Means You Are Almost There!
We all know as we are progressing towards our personal goals, dreams and aspirations that we will fail repeatedly, and then all of a sudden we achieve our ultimate outcome and attain our WHY in LIFE! Each failure is a stepping stone to Success, which in turn will become a very long and lovely stone walkway into the castle of your DREAMS. You must truly internalize the need to fail in life.
Freedom, the Foundation of Your Desires
Freedom is the deeper meaning, the foundation behind all of your desires. When you want more money, what you really want is the freedom to have and to give anything.
Think of Wealth and Become Wealthy
Our thought are magnetic ! Like a magnet we attract circumstances and opportunities. We litterally attract the life we want with our powerful magnetic thought !You might say :" But Michel i have been thinking about wealth all my life and the only thing i got is 5 cents in the banks !"Do you think about wealth or the lack of wealth ? This is different my friend.
Whos Up For A Challenge?
Depending on the person, challenges can either make or break a person. On one hand, challenges possess the power to increase one's skills and knowledge, their motivation, faith and character.
Persistence and Determination: Golden Keys to Reaching Success
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.
Nice Guys Really Finish First - Really?
How can anyone with the brain of a cockroach make such a stupid statement?So rang out the scorn of a killer talk show host on a television station in Cleveland. When I was on tour in his city, John Kelly quoted Leo Derocher who said just the opposite -- â??Nice guys finish last.
The Winning Edge Theory
One of the greatest challenges people face when trying to make personal improvement is feeling overwhelmed. This probably stems from the belief that in order to make incredible progress in their life, they will have to start by creating a long and detailed list of the things they are doing wrong and all the things they are going to have to change.
The Circular Blame Game
Mike, his feet dangling above the city, opened his lunch box and groaned.Todd, his friend, a fellow construction worker on the high-rise, pretended that he hadn't heard the groan.
Choice and Change - The Two Constants
OK, so here we are. We've switched the calendars out and made our resolutions.
Reach Your Goals - Give Yourself A Gold Star
Give yourself a gold star Remember how rewarding it was in grade school to get back an assignment with a gold star sticker or some other tangible acknowledgement of a job well done? Well you can apply the same psychological boost to your goal-based activities today! Sure, you could go about this in the literal sense, adding a sticker or some other item that makes you smile, such as a rubber stamp, to your daybook, calendar or goal-tracking sheet as a way to reinforce your successes. But why not get creative and offer yourself a more fitting reward? After all, you're a grown up now and your rewards should reflect this.
Purpose in Amsall's Success Mindset Tripod
Here are the 3 elements of the "Purpose" leg in Amsall's Success Mindset Tripod ? :1. Clarity of Purpose or Know Yourself2.
The Fastest Way to Success
Your mind is the only tool that can create success in your life! If you don't believe me, just ask yourself what's stopping you? If other people can do it, why can't you? Are you afraid? Do you think that you can't do it? Do you have trouble staying on track? Do you think that you need to know, be, or do more before you can become successful?What we think about and how we think about it is what creates success or failure in life. If you thought about the things that Donald Trump thinks about, in the same way that he thinks about them, then you would be a billionaire very soon.
Avoid The Thirteen Habits of a Failure
Jim Rohn, the success guru and mentor, said, "Failure is a few errors in judgment repeated every day." The word to watch is "repeated.
What Does Success Look Like To You?
So many of us want success, but how many of us really know what we mean when we say it? And please?..
Success Lessons From Cricket That Can Improve Your Life
This summer (2005) huge crowds in England and Australia have been following the 5 test match series between England and Australia. The sides are evenly matched and have played some of the most exciting cricket seen for many years.
Forget Dreams...Have Visions!
Do you still keep that all important 'Inner Spark Alive'? ..
Discovery In A Million Dollar Mistake
I have noticed that though my clients often have created a plan, many do not incorporate an understanding of themselves to execute it, and so it is not adequately customized. Unleash your ultimate success by developing a strategy that seamlessly integrates self-knowledge to increase profits and personal fulfillment.
I thought this was unbelievable, but it's true.On average, security guards arrest 2 people each week at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport for carrying firearms through security.
Knowledge Is Not Power
Whoever first said that knowledge is power was probably selling encyclopedias. Knowledge is a tool, like money and influence.
Top 10 Secrets to Success
Much has been researched, written and taught about success. One thing is absolutely sure; success is different for every person because success means something different to every person.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !