List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Sharpen Your Saw by Continuously Learning
What does a sharp saw have to do with lifelong learning? For all you Covey fans, you know Dr. Steven Covey coined the phrase "sharpen the saw" in his highly acclaimed book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. To me, I think about a saw sharpener as a complicated device that I would never be able to use. Doing an image search on "saw sharpener" on Google shows 423 different pictures of saw sharpening devices that require you to know various things and exert various amounts of effort to "sharpen a saw" in the traditional sense. Now there are probably close to this many ways we can keep our own saws sharp by continuously learning. I won't bore you with all of them, but I will outline a few of the ones I've found helpful below.
1) Join a professional organization and use their training outlets - You may already be part of an organization like Toastmasters, a local writer's workshop group, or something else of that nature. Perhaps there are other organizations out there that might also suit your needs? If you're not sure, ask someone how they've done what they do, and then do it!
2) Pursue an advanced degree - For some, an MBA or masters in something job related is what you need to advance up the ranks and to stay sharp in your current job. If this is you, there are so many different resources available to you now, some online, some traditional, some that blend the two, and definitely you can find something that will fit in your schedule if traditional schooling is for you.
3) Certification - For others, an industry-specific certification is all that's needed to stay sharp. Just like a traditional college, you can do self-paced study or take a class online to get the certification you need to move up.
4) Use your company's training - Many larger companies offer in-house training to associates once they reach a certain level. What have you got to lose by talking to your manager, supervisor, or HR department about the classes that might be available to you at your current level? If you're fortunate, you'll get a few different ideas, and your employer will probably pay for these classes and give you time to complete the necessary materials.
5) Read a book or a website that's topic specific to what you want to learn - If you're looking for a good book or for that perfect website, ask someone else you know who is an authority on what you need. There are so many books published every year, you're bound to find one or two that suit your needs. And the web is full of things to help you learn more about what you need to know.
6) Find a mentor - My last piece of advice is something you can do at anytime, and that is finding a mentor. Seek someone out in your company who knows what you need to know and ask them questions. Buy them lunch and pick their brain. Find someone in our organization who knows what you want to know and ask them if you can give them a call or have lunch together. Or look online and e-mail an expert. You'd be surprised at how many people are willing to help, if you'll just ask them. And maybe they'll even become a formal mentor of yours and be willing to invest some time in helping you advance your career and your life.
Phil Gerbyshak leads a team of IT help desk professionals in Milwaukee, WI, and finds that sharing his knowledge is a crucial component in his success as a leader and as a person. Phil's personal philosophy is paraphrased from Tim Sanders' fantastic book Love is the Killer App: "Share your knowledge, your network, and your love. The rest will follow." Read more of Phil's ideas at http://makeitgreat.org
Success or Bust!
We've all been driving down the road and seen those infamous signs in the back of all types of automobiles that say something like "Disneyland or Bust". What does this mean? Basically, it means that those people are on their way to Disneyland and they will do absolutely anything no matter how much money, time or gas that they waste.
The Power Of Partnerships
Everything we have in life is because of the help of other people. If you have a successful job where you are rapidly moving up it is in large part because of the help you've received from your coworkers.
You Must Play By The Rules
You must play by the rules. Everything has rules.
Success Formula Revealed - How You Can Apply The Ultimate Success Formula?
When you analyze the traits of successful people, you will notice that they all exhibit a successful pattern. This successful pattern is known as the Ultimate Success Formula which consists of 4 steps:1) Be very specific about your goals.
Success -- Its All a Matter of Mindset!
"Walk away from the 97% crowd. Don't use their excuses.
Thinking About Winners
Have you ever thought about what makes a superstar? What attributes we admire in our heroes? Do you ever wonder were all the extra ordinary men have gone? Watch the movies that shaped our modern era, the ones which make you think about what it takes to win and what it means to be an American; what do you see? Some of the movies made heroes out of movie stars. First Blood, Rocky, Top Gun, Karate Kid, Vision Quest, Star Wars, etc.
Neutralize The Negatives!
We are repeatedly told that we should forget about unpleasant experiences (failures) and focus on pleasant ones (successes).I agree totally with the last part of this proposition but only partly with the bit on forgetting about your unpleasant experiences.
Discover Your Path to Success - Part 2
Time taken for self-analysis is so important in developing your road map to success. Let's continue with a few more questions to ask yourself - before we go into the heart of the formula for personal success.
You Are What You Think You Are
Think out of the box, they say. But what's a box?In the context of the discussion here the 'box' is the sub-conscious mind.
The Seven Deadly Roadblocks to Success
When traveling down the road it is always good to beware of roadblocks! You don't want to crash and burn do you? The same is true in our journey toward success. We need to beware of those things that will keep us from our destination!What are the most common? Here they are:1.
Perseverance Lead To Walt Disneys Greatest Success!
When you are in business every person you hire gets paid before you do and it may take years, even decades before you see a payoff. That was certainly the case with Walt Disney who spent his whole working career dealing with tough-minded bankers, demanding stockholders and difficult employees, not that Walt himself was always a ball of sunshine.
Beliefs and How They Shape Your Future
Have you ever had such thoughts like "I always fall short", "Why am I always the looser" and the like? Who do you think you are? How would you describe yourself?How do you know? You know what you have experienced. You know by remembering events and how they affected you.
Reach Your Goals - Throw A Success Shindig
Once you've made it..
Success Through The Eyes Of A Child
Adults, with eyes to see, can learn so much about success in life from children.When a baby is born, it has instinctively in it everything needed to succeed in life.
The American Dream Model
The present model of business and career motivation, the one most closely associated with the "American Dream" which emphases enterpreuneurship, individual achievement, competition, and domination has been around for at least the last 50 years . Up to the mid 20th century, the predominant prosperity model was the Calvinist work ethic originally derived from the Puritan.
The Only Option is to Succeed
With the end of the year fast approaching, now is a great time to take stock of 2004. It is likely that your company set specific goals at the beginning of the year.
Unlocking Human Potential
Before we can unlock human potential, we need to know what it is. Human potential is defined as an unexposed ability and hidden power.
Decisions Can Change Your Life
To realize that you determine the outcome of your own life is not always easy, in fact, it is a hard task. All you need to do is take control of your destiny you can do this by alternating your values and start taking control.
Success Is Easy, But So Is Neglect
People often ask me how I became successful in that six-year period of time while many of the people I knew did not.The answer is simple: The things I found to be easy to do, they found to be easy not to do.
Five Formulas for Committing to Success!
1. Clear vision + Intention + Purpose + Focus = Success! A vision is many things: the original blueprint of the successful outcome you desire, a thought picture turned into visual action, a full expression of you! If you are given a vision, then it is within your power to make it happen, if you choose.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !