List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Dare to Dream Again
Do you remember when you were a child and no dream seemed too big? Some of us thought we would walk on the moon; some dreamed of riding with Roy Rogers; others imagined stepping to the plate in a big-league game. Every one of us, when we were young, had a common trait - we were dreamers. The world hadn't gotten to us yet to show us that we couldn't possibly achieve what our hearts longed for. And we were yet still years from realizing that in some cases we weren't built for achieving our dream (I realized about my junior year of high school that I was too short and to slow to play professional basketball. The dreamer is always the last to know).
Eventually we started to let our dreams die. People began to tell us that we couldn't do the things we wanted. It was impossible. Responsible people don't pursue their dreams. Settle down, get a job, be dependable. Take care of business, live the mundane, be content.
Do you know what I say to that? Hooey!
It is time to dream again!
Why? Here are just a few reasons:
Avoiding regret. The facts are in, and someday we will all lie on our deathbed looking back through the history of our lives. We will undoubtedly think about what we wished we had done or accomplished. I for one don't want to regret what could have been, what should have been. So I am deciding today to pursue my dreams.
* Making the world a better place. All of the great accomplishments that have ever happened began with a person who had a dream. Somebody rebuffed the naysayers and said to himself or herself, "This can be done, and I am the one who will do it." And in many instances they changed the world for the better. It isn't just the Martin Luther King's and the J.F.K's either. Think of all the people we have never heard of who have started things large and small that help people world-wide every day.
* The world needs people like you to dream of something great and then to pursue it will all of your heart. Maybe you belong to a business, school, or organization that started out with good intentions but has settled into the same ol' same ol'. Shake them up and remind them of how they could really help people if only they would dream!
* Personal and family fulfillment. One of the things that happens when we stop pursuing our dreams is that a little piece of us dies and we become disheartened, if only in that area of our lives. Stepping up and pursuing your dream rekindles that passion and zeal that everyone has the capacity for and lets us experience fulfillment. Having a purpose puts the zip in our step and the zing in our emotions!
* Leaving a legacy. How will your children remember you? As one who sought all that life had to offer, using your gifts and talents to their fullest extent, leading the family with a zest for life, or as an overweight couch potato who could have been? Our children need to see that we dream; that we search for something better. They in turn will do the same!
So where do we start? Here are some ideas:
* Reconnect with your dream. Set aside some time to let yourself dream. What have you placed on the backburner in order to live the status quo? Settle on one or two dreams that you can and will pursue. Don't come up with too many. That will only deter you further.
* Decide that you will do it. This may seem elementary but many people never decide and commit fully to their dream. They simply keep "thinking" about it. Tell others that you are going to do it. This puts you on the record as to what you are dreaming about. It makes you accountable. It will help you do it if for no other reason than to avoid embarrassment!
* Develop a step-by-step plan. This is absolutely essential. You must sit down and write out a few things:
* A timeline. How long will it take to the end?
* Action steps. Point-by-point what you will do and when you will do them.
* Resources you will need to draw from. What will it take? Who will need to be involved for help or advice?
* An evaluation tool. You need to evaluate from time to time whether you are progressing or not.
* A celebration. Yep, when you are done you should already have planned what you will do to celebrate. Make it big!
I have found that there is no better time than now. So, set aside some time today to get started on your dream. Follow the action plan and set your sights for the top of the mountain! You will be glad you did!
About The Author:
Chris Widener is a popular speaker and writer as well as the President of Made for Success, a company helping individuals and organizations turn their potential into performance, succeed in every area of their lives and achieve their dreams.
To see Chris "live" at the upcoming Jim Rohn Weekend Event as he speaks on the subject of Secrets of Influence go to http://Chris-Widener.InspiresYOU.com/ or call 800-929-0434.
Surf the Wave of Abundance
Bank account bare? Bedroom barren? Body running on empty? Buddha not showing up? Why?Maybe because your beat is off! You're out of step with the AbunDance. It's a dance that requires flexibility, fluidity and, above all, the willingness to flow with life's changing rhythms.
Success Lessons From Josey Wales
The Outlaw Josey Wales is an interesting Western that I have watched many times. It is full of success lessons for the discerning!A Missouri farmer joins a Confederate guerilla unit to avenge the murder of his wife and son and winds up on the run from the Union soldiers who killed his family.
How To Become Rich and Famous
If you want to be rich and famous, you have to focus on your strong points. Don't dwell on your weaknesses.
Reach Your Goals - Create A Soundtrack
Choose a personal theme song and soundtrack that stirs you and refocuses you on your goal What would a superhero be without theme music? And what about those soundtracks used in the movies to make sure that those of us in the audience are either gripping our seats or bawling our eyes out on cue? Why not do the same for your life? Choose a song that seems to "say it all" about how you feel about your goal, or that just plain inspires you to do your best, then pick a "soundtrack" of other supporting songs to go along with it. Make a tape, burn a CD, or download clips onto your computer - whatever works for you.
So What is Success Anyway?
Well I'll tell you what it's not. Even thought many of us like to periodically visit our own personal Fantasyland complete with its mansions, servants, fancy cars and trips to exotic places (check under the heading of "What I Would Do if I Won the Lottery") most of us over the age of twelve with any experience under our belts are realistic enough to recognize our Fantasyland for what it is.
Set Yourself Up For Success
I receive several emails every week asking me about how to become successful. It is tempting to just refer people to my books and articles.
10 Simple Tips For Attaining Wealth
What with the millions of words printed every day about "How To Achieve Success," why aren't there more new millionaires.Basically, it's simply because the people reading this "How-To" information don't understand what they read, or else just don't have the drive it takes to put what they've read into action.
Learn Faster, Change is Coming
Challenges posed by recent economic and market shifts, though predicted for some time, have instigated chaos in the lives of many business professionals and factory workers alike, not to mention just about everyone else who is paying attention. Instead of embracing change and allowing it to fuel creativity and activity, many people allow the very thought of it to cripple them through fear, indecision and inactivity.
+ Persistence =
"Never, never, never give up; never give up, never!." - Winston ChurchillThis is the total, famous commencement speech he made to a university graduating class; his last public words; sound advice for all who aspire to achieve their dreams.
The Story of Big Jim
The power went out. Again!I looked out my second story office window and knew exactly why.
A Friends Evaluation
Evaluations are a tremendous resource to help us know where we have been and how to get where we want to be. One very overlooked person who would give us a very insightful evaluation is our friend.
A Vision for Success
Do you know that there is a formula for attaining material success? Indeed, there is.My research has shown that people have gained material prosperity by following certain strategies, especially for projects requiring a large investment of up to $10 million with a short time frame for completion, i.
Sharpen Your Saw by Continuously Learning
What does a sharp saw have to do with lifelong learning? For all you Covey fans, you know Dr. Steven Covey coined the phrase "sharpen the saw" in his highly acclaimed book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
Fear Not If You Dont Feel Youre Off To Quite The Blazing Start Youd Like
There are those out there who would lead us to believe that if we don't meet with overnight success in our endeavors that we are some how not trying as hard as we can.I am here NOW to debunk this way of thinking!.
Back-Planning For Success
Coming up with new dreams and passions can be fun, easy and inspiring - at least until you sit down and begin trying to sort out how to actually accomplish these wild goals. Suddenly, what seemed like such a clear and well-marked path takes on the aspect of an overgrown and thickly brambled wilderness of dangerous, unseen pitfalls and endlessly branching and unmarked trails.
Success Through Clear Dreams - I Do Not Want To Lie On My Death Bed Saying I Wish I Had Done That
Many UK citizens want to settle or retire in Spain the land of sun, healthy food, villas and blue swimming pools. Only a few of these actually achieve their dream.
If You Compare, Beware!
Picture this scene: Little Johnny's mother places a large piece of chocolate cake on his plate. He's pretty happy with it -- until he glances over at his brother's portion and notices that it's even bigger than his own.
Failures: 2 Types 7 Reasons
We experience failure directly or indirectly. Here we will come to know about the meaning and the mighty types and reasons of any failure.
Success In An Ever Changing World"
Well, it's that time of the year again. No, I don't mean the time of the year when the flowers bloom and the days get longer.
The Best Time for Action? No Time Like the Present...
Too often we wait for the 'right time' or 'the kids to grow up' or the next vacation. But how long is that away.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !