List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Top 10 Tools for a Strong Personal Foundation
Coaching is about living great lives. It's about living lives based on our values, our priorities and our choices. And, as in building a great building, it takes a very strong foundation. In fact, the more spectacular the visible parts of the building are going to be, the more time and precision has to go into preparing the supporting structures and systems underneath. But one of the most difficult things in life is spending the necessary time on the foundations.
Most of us are eager to build, to start living the life of our dreams, and the temptation is always to neglect the details of a strong personal foundation. Here are my Top 10 Tools for creating the foundation that will support whatever else you want in your life:
1. Get plenty of sleep. I know, that wasn't on the list when I was younger either, but as Vince Lombardi noted, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." Tired people are cranky, they miss opportunities and make careless decisions. And, getting plenty of sleep suggests a fairly regular pattern to your day, some structure and orderliness, and that's a good thing!
2. Eat well. Yeah, I know, another boring one. But the body needs good stuff to keep it sharp and ready to serve you. Some people go a long way on this, carefully nurturing their bodies with organic fruits and vegetables. I don't have that discipline, but replacing potato chips with carrot sticks, sure does seem to help. Cut down on fat, drink more water and fruit juice, and see what happens!
3. Exercise. Even a walk around the block does wonders to clear the head! At least 30 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week, and more if you enjoy it. Work up a sweat, huff and puff a bit. They say you'll live longer. I know it gets me out of the office, away from the phone and computer for a few minutes, and my dog loves the chance to run! Enjoy it.
4. Read a lot. Read magazines and history, read biographies and cheap novels, but read. Follow politics and the economy, keep up with current films and take a moment to follow sports and those funny short stories in Reader's Digest. It gives you perspective, broadens your point of view, and, like exercise, it gets you away from the phone and computer for a few minutes. It may even make you wiser!
5. Meditate. Keep a journal, or pray. Develop your own style and preferences for making peace with your world, and do it every day. Find the time and place that works best for you, sit quietly, settle into your routine, and take time to notice. Stuff will come up. You'll have ideas, you'll fall asleep, you'll remember what's really important. Whatever happens, be at peace with it.
6. Eliminate tolerations. Keep your nest clean! There's no excuse to be tripping over the same clutter every day. It slows you down, and it wears you out. Some people are "neater" than others, and this isn't about having a clean desk, unless that's important to you. This is about eliminating those annoying frustrations that come up every week. Get a housekeeper, a bookkeeper, a gardener, and at least have your car washed! If it annoys you, deal with it.
7. Keep relationships clean. It's not possible to be best friends with everyone, and some relationships do end, but that's not as expensive as having a strained relationship that drains you every day. If you have "friendships" that need to end, take care of it. If you have an intimate partner with whom you need to spend more time, schedule it tonight. Stay on good terms with those you can, and end those relationships that are never going to support you. Just do it.
8. Do work you love. Doing a job you dislike is exhausting. I often talk with folks who are eager to change careers "as soon as?." They usually finish the sentence with something that will happen in a few years. Why wait? Life is too short! I suspect the time lost is a greater risk than making the change right now! Do what you love!
9. Laugh a lot! Humor and warm friendships, love and laughter go further to maintain "balance" than all the programs I've ever tried. Life is either a wonderful, strange and funny dance?or it's too scary to think about. Either way, laugh all the way through!
10. Develop your "Daily 10". Have a regular pattern of 10 wonderful things you do every day for your own vibrant personal foundation. Find your own little rituals that just make you feel good! Every day, do 10 simple things that remind you how special, powerful, alive and wonderful you are! Delight in them!
Here's to you, and to building a strong, deep and lasting foundation that will support you for many years to come!
© Copyright 2003 by Philip E. Humbert. All Rights Reserved. This article may be copied and used in your own newsletter or on your website as long as you include the following information: "Written by Dr. Philip E. Humbert, writer, speaker and success coach. Dr. Humbert has over 300 free articles, tools and resources for your success, including a great newsletter! It's all on his website at: http://www.philiphumbert.com
Success Lessons From Boxing
Sugar Ray Leonard and Sylvester Stallone recently opened an academy or gymnasium for contenders in downtown LA. The contenders are top middleweight boxers in the USA who have not been given a shot at the title.
What Is Your Legacy of Success?
Success! Easy to talk about, but difficult to achieve. Or is it? Success is defined differently by virtually anyone you ask because success is a very personal experience.
Make The Second Half The Best Half
Something happens when you come to the intersection called mid-life; you can look back in retrospect and see your life from an entirely different context. For many this mid-life review brings about a sense of urgency that ignites what is formally called "the mid-life crisis".
Great Success Story
Ok, let me tell you what I mean.As some of you know that have been around my 'stuff' for a while, I was lost for 6-7 years beforeI started to find my way.
How To Become Successful
The First step to success is to think and decide what you really desire. All successful people have this skill in abundance.
Identify Those Things That Have Prevented You From Being Successful And Learn How To Avoid Them Now
Have you been struggling for years to accomplish some goals without success? Are you wondering why you haven't been able to lose the weight you want, be more energetic, earn more money, learn new skills, be a better communicator, or accomplish whatever desires and dreams you have?Has it finally dawned on you in all these years that your lifestyle is not one you are totally satisfied with? Do you become so frustrated at times because you don't know the remedy to your dilemma?Well, I understand how you feel because I struggled for years myself trying to accomplish my goals without success. I had that spark in me but couldn't get the fire ignited to create a strong enough "burning desire"Then I finally learned why I wasn't achieving those dreams I so desperately wanted.
The Reasons Why We Fear Success
In the book, The SHOCKwealth System?, it is discussed that there are four fears that must be overcome in order to experience true success. One of those fears is the fear of success itself.
The very first "motivational speaker" I heard as an adult was a gentleman named Mort Utley. I experienced his speech in May of 1989 in Nashville, Tennessee, at the end of a week of Sales School with the Southwestern Company.
Why the Elephants Dont Run
A number of years ago, I had the rather unique experience of being backstage in Madison Square Garden, in New York, during the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus. To say the least, it was a fascinating experience.
Success Lessons From Cricket That Can Improve Your Life
This summer (2005) huge crowds in England and Australia have been following the 5 test match series between England and Australia. The sides are evenly matched and have played some of the most exciting cricket seen for many years.
8 Ways to Get Off The Success-Go-Round and Have a Consistent Flow of Success
Are you consistently chasing success? Once you achieve it, do you desperately try to continue the pattern of making it happen again? Isn't it time you got off the success-go-round? Here are 8 tips to help you make the transition from inconsistency to steady flow of success.1.
The Honor Roll of Life
All too often, people pursue a vision of material success at the expense of the other aspects of their beingness. In fact, our current culture is so plagued with this narrowness of vision, so focused on the material, that the soul of our society is in danger of being lost.
Perseverance is the Ability ...
"Perseverance allows you to get back on track when you hit a detour."Perseverance is the ability to keep going in the face of continuous challenges.
If You Compare, Beware!
Picture this scene: Little Johnny's mother places a large piece of chocolate cake on his plate. He's pretty happy with it -- until he glances over at his brother's portion and notices that it's even bigger than his own.
The Impossible Dream
The 72,500 men, women and children sat in an uncomfortable silence, no one daring to cough, no one daring to speak, each one focussed on the young 27 year old. Each one knowing, this was the start of the impossible dream.
By popular request, I thought I would put together this little list of simple things you can do to increase cash flow ..
The Opportunity Clock
When I was in college, I heard someone say something that has been with me ever since. It was something that demonstrated to me a positive attitude and the choice to take something that most people dread, and change it into a motivating factor.
Living A Life Without Limits
The starting point of all great success and achievement is dreaming big dreams. There is nothing more important and nothing works faster.
Success Begins and Ends With You
Success is a word that is much used in our society. We probably hear it at least once each day, especially in commercials.
Create Credibility for Success
Back in my early marketing days, finding the magic ticket to online success was my prime focus. Day after day I became engaged in the journey to find the internet "El Dorado".
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !