List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Top 10 Traits of Highly Successful People - That You Can Learn!
We have all read about people who are successful briefly. They win a gold medal, make a fortune, or star in one great movie?and then disappear. Or, there are those like Marilyn Monroe and Howard Hughes who achieve extraordinary success, at the cost of their own lives. These examples do not inspire me!
My focus and fascination is with people who seem to do well in many areas of life, and do it over and over through a lifetime. In entertainment, I think of Paul Newman and Bill Cosby. In business, I think of Ben and Jerry (the ice cream moguls), and a local hardware store owner who is famous for the money he's give to children's charities. As a Naval Officer, husband, businessman, politician and now as a mediator and philanthropist on the world stage, Jimmy Carter has had a remarkable life. We all know examples of people who go from one success to another.
These are the people who inspire me! I've studied them, and I've noticed they have the following traits in common:
1. They work hard! Yes, they play hard, too! They get up early, they rarely complain, they expect performance from others, but they expect extraordinary performance from themselves. Repeated, high-level success starts with a recognition that hard work pays off.
2. They are incredibly curious and eager to learn. They study, ask questions and read - constantly! An interesting point, however: While most of them did well in school, the difference is that they apply or take advantage of what they learn. Repeated success is not about memorizing facts, it's about being able to take information and create, build, or apply it in new and important ways. Successful people want to learn everything about everything!
3. They network. They know lots of people, and they know lots of different kinds of people. They listen to friends, neighbors, co-workers and bartenders. They don't have to be "the life of the party", in fact many are quiet, even shy, but they value people and they value relationships. Successful people have a rolodex full of people who value their friendship and return their calls.
4. They work on themselves and never quit! While the "over-night wonders" become arrogant and quickly disappear, really successful people work on their personality, their leadership skills, management skills, and every other detail of life. When a relationship or business deal goes sour, they assume they can learn from it and they expect to do better next time. Successful people don't tolerate flaws; they fix them!
5. They are extraordinarily creative. They go around asking, "Why not?" They see new combinations, new possibilities, new opportunities and challenges where others see problems or limitations. They wake up in the middle of the night yelling, "I've got it!" They ask for advice, try things out, consult experts and amateurs, always looking for a better, faster, cheaper solution. Successful people create stuff!
6. They are self-reliant and take responsibility. Incredibly successful people don't worry about blame, and they don't waste time complaining. They make decisions and move on. Sometimes they are criticized for taking this to extremes - Jimmy Carter carried his own briefcase and a President "shouldn't" do that! Extremely successful people take the initiative and accept the responsibilities of success.
7. They are usually relaxed and keep their perspective. Even in times of stress or turmoil, highly successful people keep their balance, they know the value of timing, humor, and patience. They rarely panic or make decisions on impulse. Unusually successful people breath easily, ask the right questions, and make sound decisions, even in a crisis.
8. Extremely successful people live in the present moment. They know that "Now" is the only time they can control. They have a "gift" for looking people in the eye, listening to what is being said, enjoying a meal or fine wine, music or playing with a child. They never seem rushed, and they get a lot done! They take full advantage of each day. Successful people don't waste time, they use it!
9. They "look over the horizon" to see the future. They observe trends, notice changes, see shifts, and hear the nuances that others miss. A basketball player wearing Nikes is trivial, the neighbor kid wearing them is interesting, your own teenager demanding them is an investment opportunity! Extremely successful people live in the present, with one eye on the future!
10. Repeatedly successful people respond instantly! When an investment isn't working out, they sell. When they see an opportunity, they make the call. If an important relationship is cooling down, they take time to renew it. When technology or a new competitor or a change in the economic situation requires an adjustment, they are the first and quickest to respond.
These traits work together in combination, giving repeatedly successful people a huge advantage. Because they are insatiable learners, they can respond wisely to change. Because their personal relationships are strong, they have good advisors, and a reserve of goodwill when things go bad. And finally, none of these traits are genetic! They can be learned! They are free and they are skills you can use. Start now!
© Copyright 2003 by Philip E. Humbert. All Rights Reserved. This article may be copied and used in your own newsletter or on your website as long as you include the following information: "Written by Dr. Philip E. Humbert, writer, speaker and success coach. Dr. Humbert has over 300 free articles, tools and resources for your success, including a great newsletter! It's all on his website at: http://www.philiphumbert.com
How to Find Out What You Want from Life
No matter how young or old you are, you must have gotten to a point in your life when you have to take a big decision, which will probably affect your entire existence. There is no doubt that there are certain moments in life when you feel helpless and disoriented and believe you could use a hand in order to figure out how to proceed with your life.
Seven Keys To Success In The Information Age
In 1989, when the Berlin Wall came down and the World Wide Web went up, the world changed forever. This marked the end of the Industrial Age and the beginning of the Information Age.
To Succeed Greatly, You Must...
(1) Climb up from under the limitations of circumstances and conditions(2) Do something in such a way that you become a leader in rendering service and securing just compensation for your service.Read that again!It suggests the personal factors which will make your effort successful.
Super Success -- Reach Out and Take It
This is a little primer on how to start, survive and finish a journey to super success and I want to share it with you.Have you ever heard that old saying, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer"? Sure you have.
Take Yourself to the Top!
Everybody wants to get to the top, whether it is the top of a career, a company, the earnings scale, or the many other ways that we as individuals can define the "top" in our own lives! But with so many people trying to get to the top, how come so many people aren't moving up? I think there are some fundamental reasons why. Reasons that can be addressed and changed!What are some things you can do to get to the top? Here are some thoughts for you this week!First of all, define what the "top" means for you.
Individualistic Sucess Models
In individualistic success models, success is not due to the individual's relationship with his external environment or place in society, but, rather, a matter of individual accomplishment or, in some cases, a measure of his relationship with God. These models had their roots originally in Protestant Calvinism and are the typical ones you will see in "Success" books.
A Vision for Success
Do you know that there is a formula for attaining material success? Indeed, there is.My research has shown that people have gained material prosperity by following certain strategies, especially for projects requiring a large investment of up to $10 million with a short time frame for completion, i.
Do You Really Think So?
It's not new news. It's not some ethereal theory.
Sharpen Your Saw by Continuously Learning
What does a sharp saw have to do with lifelong learning? For all you Covey fans, you know Dr. Steven Covey coined the phrase "sharpen the saw" in his highly acclaimed book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
Business Success Secrets: Improving Yourself by 1% Daily
Hey,Josh here from Investor Wealth Academy sitting 29 stories above the glitter of Times Square.Lou and I are in New York this weekend on business and we were both super excited about some of the things going on in the real estate industry right now.
Two Great Success Tips - Read And Apply What You Learn And Do It Now!
Today I was glad that I had bothered to read two of my favourite ezines. It is only too easy to think that you can afford to miss an issue or two.
Reach Your Goals - Make A Game Out Of It
Make a game out of reaching your goals Go to a yard sale and pick up a cheap board game, if you don't have any "throw away" games at home. Sit down and brainstorm a way to transform the game into goal-completion fun.
10 Tips on How to Get the Best from Changing Situations
It can be great to do something new 'for a change', when it's your choice. It's fun then.
Success: How To Succeed Most of the Time
We set goals, strive for them and only consider ourselves successful if we attain them and attain them well. Reaching milestones is important BUT when we equate those milestones with "success", we get ourselves in trouble.
Stop Juggling, and Start Achieving! Three Steps to the Top!
Want more success in your business or professional life? Here's a proven-effective 3-step strategy that will help take you soaring to the top in any endeavor.There's a lot of "noise" in the business world today about the importance of being able to multi-task, or juggle several tasks simultaneously.
Believing in a Better Lifestyle
How many of you have ever thought about the link between believing in yourself, and getting a good income? You would think that your income is based entirely on your skills, wouldn't you. Well, we know how true that one is.
3 Basic Steps to Success in Anything
Since belief always precedes action, simply changing your beliefs can change your actions to those that will result in living any of your dreams.It's not complicated at all.
Thinkers are Achievers
It has been truly said, and history confirms, that the growth of the United States is due more to independent creative thinkers than to scholars and statesmen. We seldom consciously think about it, but we all share that unique capacity to THINK and are born with a potential of greatness that exceeds our wildest imagination.
Want To Succeed In Business, Social, Personal Life? Take Good Care Of Your Personal Image
Your personal image: It's the most important YOU asset you own.Your personal image, the perception that people have about you, affects your success in every aspect of life - your life on the job, your social life, even your love life!That is true because, no matter who you are or what you do, your success depends on what other people THINK about you - the image they have of you.
The Amazing 3-Step Formula To Success!
Believe it or not, there is a special 3-step formula that makes people successful.Unfortunately, you can't buy the formula.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !