List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
The Top 15 Essential Ingredients of Every WINDOWS HOSTING Plan (Package)
First things First. Why would you like to have Windows Based Hosting when there are Linux packages for cheaper rates ? The answer is - it depends on what application you are looking to use for your hosting. Consider the tools and scripting languages you plan to use - if you use PHP, Perl or MySQL, Linux is the way forward. If apps are Microsoft-specific, then Windows is what you need. Clear??
Now let's proceed with the essential ingredients of any Windows Hosting Plan.
1. ASP Support - The clear reason why you chose a windows plan is to use Microsoft Specific Languages. Active Server Pages, Microsoft's technology to enables HTML pages to be dynamic and interactive by embedding scripts. Check all the windows hosting plans and make sure, the host doesn't charge for this extra.
2. .NET Support - ASP.net is the next generation of Microsoft's Active Server Page (ASP), a feature of their Internet Information Server (IIS). ASP.net is different from ASP in two major ways: it supports code written in compiled languages like C++, Visual Basic, and Perl, and, it features server controls that can separate the code from the content, allowing WYSIWYG editing of pages. Most of the hosts give this feature free of charge while few charge extra. Go for it if you really need it.
3. CDONTS - CDONTS stands for 'Collaboration Data Objects for Windows NT Server' and it's a Messaging Component comes along with Windows NT/2000. A windows hosting plan without this is Incomplete. This provides you the easiest solution for your messaging thro' your website ASP pages, provided you have SMTP support.
4. DATABASES - Microsoft Access 2000 Database is supported by all the windows hosting plans. This will do if you are a starter. For experienced campaigners, MS-Sql is a must have. This is an advanced feature and most of the hosting companies charge extra. The control for the Databases must be provided in the Control Panel. Check that.
5. DATABASE Connection - DSN or DSNless Connections, whatever the case may be, please check if the host has provided the option in the Control Panel to create/manage DSNs. (Data Source Name). If DSNs are NOT allowed, ask for the Connection String for DSNless connections.
6. ASP Components - Apart from the default components, there are loads of third party software. Check the list of such components that the host provides. ASP Upload, ASPImage, Dundas Mailer, ASPjpeg, ASPEncrypt are few popular components. At times you may require to have your own components (DLLs) installed. This is provided by most of the hosts, but after the DLL undergoes a complete test in the server environment. This does not come free.
7. PHP & Coldfusion - ColdFusion is a server-side scripting language web development tool. It uses HTML-like tags called CFML to enable back-end ODBC database connectivity as well as data manipulation and validation within webpages.. This is again an advanced option and NOT every hosting provider provide this. But PHP, Mysql is also bundled with windows hosting plans. Keep an eye on both of these.
8. Control Panel - This is the nucleus of your website. In a Control Panel, popularly known as CP, you can literally do anything. The moment you signup for a Hosting Pack, you must be provided with a CP to manage your webspace.
9. POP3 email Ids & Aliases - firstname.lastname@example.org is an example POP3 ID. You must be provided with ample of POP3 email ids and it depends on the Package size.
10. FTP Account - This is where you upload your files, delete them, update them. This again comes along with the CP.
11. Backup - Most of the Hosts take Automated Backups. But users do not take much care on this while choosing the Hosting Pack. This feature is as essential as anyother in this list.
12. Web Statistics - Analysis of your website visitors plays a key role in the success of your website. Say, your website has been launched and you get NIL Visits or More than 100 Visits per day. Whatever the case may be, you can view the Report using Statistics Application that run in the server backend.
13. Bandwidth - Choose the Hosting Plan that gives enough Bandwidth for your website. Even though you cannot judge at the beginning, as time progresses, you can easily deduct the Bandwidth required.
14. Webmail, SMTP & SPAM - Email becomes key part in your life once you launch the website. Check if the Hosts provide with WEBMAIL (mail.yourdomain.com) to check your mails thru a web based interface using Squirrelmail or Horde. Corporate Users prefer downloading mails thru Email Clients such as Eudora or Outlook Express. Only if SMTP or IMAP support is enabled you can use this option. Hence check if SMTP support is provided.No email user is free from a spam attack. Hence you need to have Spam Filters installed on the server where your website resides.
15. IP - If your website prefers SSL Support (https://) as time grows, makes ure you get a DEDICATED IP. Most of the websites are hosted on shared IPs. Ask your Hosting Provider about the extra charges involved in getting a dedicated IP and SSL Support. Note : For SSL (https://), you need to buy a Digital Certificate.
Do write to me with your comments and views. My email : email@example.com
Sales Head - Aalphanet.com
About The Author
Teeyes Siva heads the Sales Operations @ aalpha NET (www.aalphanet.com), India's leading domain name registration, web hosting service provider. He can be reached @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 00 91 452 3105858.
Choosing the Right Web Host
So you've decided about your website design and now you are ready to have your website hosted!When choosing the right web host, they are several factors to consider:I. How often is the web server up? II.
How to Choose a Web Host - Frequently Asked Questions
In this article you'll be provided with helpful information about how to choose a web host. There are several things to look for when choosing a reliable web host.
Best Web Hosting Company - Find The Most Affordable Host
If you're creating a community web site or a business web site, one of the first things on your agenda will be finding good, dependable, affordable web hosting for your site. In most cases, a free hosting service isn't going to work.
Managed Hosting Services - Who Benefits from It?
Managed Hosting Services are used primarily by companies that either don't have staff with the expertise to manage a dedicated server or don't have staff with the time to attend to the needs of managed hosting. In either case the option of having the host manage the server can be of great value to firms that have such needs.
Criteria of Choosing an Ideal Web Hosting Company
Before we talk about what it takes to be a cheap and good quality web host, let's get to the fundamental first. What is a Web Host? A web host is a service provider that places your web site on a computer which is connected to the internet.
Avoid Getting Ripped Off By A Hosting Company
Chances are if you host multiple domains or websites you are spending too much money at your current hosting provider. Other hosting companies increase their profits by forcing you to create an additional hosting account every time you want to host a new domain or website.
How Much Bandwidth Does Your Web Site Need?
One of the most common concerns people have when deciding to host a web site is figuring out how much bandwidth they'll need. Get too little bandwidth and you might be hit with overage fees or have your web site shut off altogether.
Steps to Becoming a Web Host Reseller
You've decided to get a reseller web hosting account to resell web space. What now? Here's a step-by-step guide.
Business Web Hosting: Which is Right for You?
Business web hosting is what you need. You have a website you need to put online.
Configuring DynDNS.org in Linux via DDClient
Most Internet service providers do not give you static IP addresses (without paying more for them), which makes hosting your own Server (Games, FTP, Web) a pain in the butt. There is however a means to create a relatively static looking connection by using a the wonderful service provided by DynDNS.
CHMOD - Undertanding File Permissions on a Unix-Based Server
The basic command for changing file permissions in unix based operating systems is the 'chmod' command. This command is executed with a set of parameters after it.
Web Hosting and Development
If you've ever browsed the World Wide Web and wondered how you could stake your claim on the Internet, like the millions of others that have done so already, then web hosting can provide you with the services to do just that. The Internet is a great way of sharing information and it is possible for you to take a portion of the web and make it your own.
Fun with DNS: Three Useful Commands
The DNS is a distributed, hierarchical database where authority flows from the top (or root) of the hierarchy downward.When thinking of the structure of the DNS, imagine an inverted tree.
How to Find Good Web Hosting for Your Site!
When building your first site the main things that you will probably think about is what types of content you will be adding to your site, how you are going to get visitors to your site and how you are going to generate good revenue from your site.Well, all of the things mentioned above are crucial things to consider, but then again, what's the point in thinking about them if you can't even get a good Web host to host your site with.
Effectiveness of Web Hosting Directories (WHDs)
John is very happy today, for the first time in his life he has created his very own website. Now he is looking for a web host so that he can put his identity on the net.
Good Web Hosting - What Is It?
With hundreds of web hosting companies to choose from today it can be hard to know which ones are actually worth using. Below is a guide of things to look for in a web host: Services - A lot of times we are sold on the idea that bigger is better.
Reseller Web Hosting - A Cheaper Alternative?
There comes a time when the internet bug hits us all and we tend to acquire a wealth of domain names and web sites to feed our frenzy.We start out with the best intentions, set up a personal home page with a few details about ourselves, then create more for our family, then our business and before we know it we have several domain names and web sites spread across several web hosting companies.
How to Choose a Web Hosting Company
Web Hosting AdviceChoosing a web hosting company to host your website isn't easy these days. There are literally thousands of web hosting companies to choose from, each offering different combinations of web space, bandwidth, extras (such as databases, asp, php, cgi, free scripts), and customer support.
Web Hosting: 4 Factors in Choosing a Hosting Company
When choosing a web hosting company there are a whole lot of different factors that should go into your decision making process. One of the biggest factors should be:1) Phone support.
Which Is The Better Server Operating System, Unix or Windows?
Anybody who decides to get a web hosting service or facility for their website will also soon be faced with the tough question of what server they will need. Will their website be run by a Windows server operating system or will they prefer to go for a Unix system?Typical Windows servers will run on Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP, while Unix servers could be Linux or Open BSD to name just two.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !