List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
Seven Pitfalls That Cripple Weight Loss
Do you struggle to maintain or lose weight? If so, you are certainly not alone. Obesity is on the rise and becoming an epidemic in our society. Why are so many people overweight? Can we blame our genetics? Are we are plagued by a slow metabolism? Certainly, we can't be the victims of our own self indulgence, can we?
I advise people that losing weight is like starting a new business. It takes careful planning, proper public promotion, consultation with the appropriate experts to set up the structure of the program, and most importantly, a tireless dedication to finish the task despite the guaranteed peaks and valleys along the way. Unfortunately, much of our society expects rapid results, and once they realize the flaw in a fad diet or quick fix, they become frustrated and look for the next overnight solution.
Let me point out the following critical challenges that often block weight loss success for many clients. The list below identifies seven major reasons people fail to attain their desired weight.
1) Unrealistic expectations - As mentioned earlier, people are impatient and want instant gratification. Often, clients are motivated by special events, such as weddings, reunions, or office bets with peers. Once the event passes, the desire to maintain change is lost, or the person may miss the deadline altogether. The answer is to set realistic goals for losing 1-2 pounds per week, understanding that it takes time and you may not lose weight every week. Be patient and work hard.
2) Scale obsession - How many of you get on the scale every morning? Weight will fluctuate by 1-3 pounds at times based on water retention, dehydration, and of course too much overindulgence. Gradual weight loss is best, and those who don't see positive change each time they get on the scale often get frustrated easily. I recommend weighing yourself once per week on the same scale, on the same day, and at the same time of day to ensure accuracy and reliability. This might be tough, but it will disappoint less and provide a clearer picture of your progress.
3) Skipping breakfast - You probably have heard that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." This is true because it kick starts your metabolism, provides fuel for activity, and also reduces the urge to eat unhealthy snacks before lunch. If you are rushed in the morning, buy healthy items such as fruit, yogurt, granola bars or cereal bars that can easily be consumed on the way to work or at your desk.
4) Failing to pack your lunch - I firmly believe that packing a healthy lunch on a regular basis is essential to avoiding weight gain. If you don't, it becomes that much easier to grab fast food with co-workers or order in fare that is high in calories, hydrogenated fats, and sodium. You also have a higher probability of having desert when eating out.
5) Eating too few meals per day - Yes, it's true that you should eat 5-7 times per day, but the portion sizes must be appropriate. Eating every 2-3 hours will prevent significant hunger pangs and eating binges. More importantly, it speeds metabolism and caloric burning throughout the day.
6) Poor grocery shopping - I stick to the mantra of "If it's not in the house, you can't eat it." Always prepare a list of foods before going to the store, and never go shopping when you are hungry. This strategy will help eliminate unhealthy temptations and stumbling blocks.
7) Not drinking enough water - Drinking water helps our muscles maintain cellular volume and flushes our system of waste products. It also prevents dehydration and excess water retention (water weight).
Brian Schiff, PT, CSCS, is a respected author, physical therapist and fitness expert. You can sign-up for his free online newsletter @ http://www.thefitnessedge.cc.
Copyright © 2004 Brian Schiff. This article was first published in Business First Columbus, Ohio in 2004.
Obesity - How it Affects Your Health
1. Carrying around excess body fat will decrease your energy level.
Resist that Snack Attack and Keep Your Diet on Track
When on a diet, snack attacks can hit hard and fast. Everywhere you go reminds you of what you can't have and what you want.
Weight Loss Setbacks and the All or Nothing Attitude
I want to talk about the "all or nothing" outlook that is death to any attempt to lose fat and get in shape.You're probably familiar with this concept.
Lose Weight & Achieve A Healthy Metabolism By Balancing And Adjusting Your Meals
How many meals do you eat in one day?Close study of weight loss throughout the past decades has proven to us that eating a small number of large meals daily will lower your metabolism. This diet pattern results in extra weight in fat.
Advanced Body Acceptance: The Secret To Weight Loss Success
Self-acceptance and body love can be tough concepts to grasp and even tougher to incorporate. The degree of difficulty doesn't seem to matter if you're thin or very large or somewhere in-between.
The Psychology of Weight Loss - Getting to the Roots of the Matter!
The Psychology of Weight Loss - Your Approach!We have missed the boat and your boat is sinking fast. You have weighted your ship down with stats, calories, grams and pounds.
Weight Loss Workout Routine Benefits
Is a weight loss workout routine right for you? Answer the following questions to find out. Do you feel sluggish at the end of the day? Do you feel tired and stiff after a long day at work? Are you stressed out most of the time?Too many days without adequate exercise, rest and fresh air can leave you feeling as tired on the inside as weak muscles feel on the outside.
Diet Tips for Weight Loss: Free Diet Tips Which You Cant Afford to Miss!
Obesity is a disease that is not caused by a bacteria or virus but a person's own eating habits. It is a disease which is very easy to get rid of just by changing your food habits.
Low Carb Diets: Craze or Crazy?
Low carb diets, though popular, have met with much controversy. This type of diet simply doesn't fit with what the American Heart Association recommends.
The Secret of Weight Loss
In the medical community, "obesity" is generally said to be present in women with more than 30% body fat and men with more than 25% body fat. "Morbid obesity," a more serious condition still, occurs when a person is 50-100% or 100 pounds above his or her ideal body weight or has more than 39% body fat.
Weight Loss Advice - What Makes a GREAT Personal Trainer?
If you are trying to lose weight you may find from time to time you need some encouragement, guidance and accountability. You can find this in friends, but on occasion you will need some extra help by seeking the advice of a personal trainer.
Find the Right New Year's Resolution to Get into Your Best Shape Ever!
Yep, it is that time of year again! Time to moan and groan about the weight we gained over the holidays as we resolve to lose it all in the New Year! If memories of failed New Year's resolutions are haunting you, it is time you found the right resolution for 2005.The reason that most New Year's Resolutions fail is that they are too extreme or time consuming.
7 Tips to Help You Beat Your Sugar Habit
Are you often overcome with an urge to splurge on candy, cookies, and cake - and do you then hate yourself for caving into your cravings?Do you pop by the drug store for paper goods but always leave with junk food, too? And do you feel like an incurable sugar addict with zero will power?Take heart. You can quit (or at least cut back on) both sweets and processed, "much-like-sugar carbs" such as white bread, white rice, and pasta.
What to Eat After Gastric Bypass Surgery
Many people are under the impression that gastric bypass surgery is the easy way out of obesity. However, those that believe this unfortunately misunderstand the operation and its lifestyle and mind altering effects.
Dieting: A Few Dieting Pitfalls To Avoid
When we gain more weight than is good for us, we're forced to start dieting.It is easier to gain weight than to lose it.
Japanese Weight Loss Secret
Recently, I read an article from Japanese magazine that by consuming agar-agar (dried-kanten) with our favorite teas, we can lose weight, and yet still maintain a feeling of fullness, according to Professor Takako Yasuoka of Yokohama Soei Junior College in Kanagawa. Because it was deemed safe, the Japanese valued agar-agar as part of their diet from ancient times.
Are You Stuck Losing Weight?
Don't get discouraged. I, too, have found myself in this predicament in the past.
Trying To Lose Weight? Heres A Low Carb Tip If Its White, Dont Eat It.
Dr. Hagglund's Healthy Eating Tips(All wheat products, bananas*, breads, rice, sugar, and potatoes.
Motivation and Dieting - Whats the Missing Link?
If you are like everyone else who has hit rock bottom with their weight struggles, and have declared that this day will be the first day of your diet, then this article is for you.Too often it seems that most dieters jump on the weight loss boat, yet fail to bring along a months pass.
Help to Reduce Belly Fat
Can You Lose Weight Where You Want?If you have excess weight only in specific parts of your body, you still must look at yourself as a whole. It's not possible to spot reduce; in other words, you can't dictate that you only want weight to come off one place or another.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !