List Categories | List All Articles | List Articles By Title
How to Eat Out and Lose Weight
Diners have become more health-conscious the last few years, and now want healthy choices whether eating at home or at their favorite restaurants. Luckily, the restaurant industry has been quick to accommodate the demand, so you'll find you have many options to "eat healthy" these days.
Whether you're eating at home or dining out, the same rules for watching your weight apply. You need to eat more vegetables, fruit and whole grains. Choose smaller portions of lean meats, fish and poultry. Eat a variety of foods, and fresh, raw foods are better. Cut back on salt, sugar, saturated fats and alcohol. Drink plenty of water, and include exercise every day as part of your daily lifestyle choice.
So whether you're having lunch with the gang, or enjoying a romantic dinner for two, you can enjoy delicious-tasting foods that are low-in calories and good for you, with just a little forethought and planning.
Here are some easy tips to remember when ordering out that will help you to lose weight even when eating at your favorite restaurants:
1. If you know the menu from the restaurant you're going to, plan what you're going to have ahead of time. This will help save you from making a last minute decision that could result in high-calorie choices.
2. Drink at least one full-glass of water or iced tea before eating your meal. This helps your digestive process, and, because you'll feel full sooner, you will eat less.
3. Don't be afraid to ask for the "senior citizen" special or kid's-sized portions. Most restaurants will accommodate you -- and often you'll pay les s as well!
4. Order first. That way you're much less likely to be influenced by the choices of your companions.
5. If you're not sure how something is prepared, don't be afraid to ask. And if the dish is cooked in oil or butter, you can always ask if they have a "fat free" option.
6. If everything on the menu is high in fat or calories, ask if the chef could prepare a plate of fresh fruit and vegetables. Many restaurants offer a vegetarian selection, so if you don't see it on the menu, ask.
7. When ordering meat or fish, ask that it be grilled or broiled, and prepared without oil or butter. (When you eat it, use lemon or herbs and spices to give it flavor rather than heavy sauces).
8. Order an appetizer and a salad as your meal. Or a soup and salad. For dessert, choose fresh fruit.
9. When choosing soup, remember that cream-based soups have many more calories than broth-based ones.
10. If you're having a full meal, split the appetizer and desert with your companion.
11. If you decide to order pasta, tomato sauce has fewer calories than cream-based sauces, just like soup.
12. Choose breadsticks over bread, or if you eat bread, don't add butter. Stay away from muffins and croissants, and choose whole grain over white.
13. Choose steamed vegetables instead of baked potatoes or other starches. Again, use lemon and herbs and spices rather than butter to flavor them with.
14. Whenever possible, eat like the Europeans do, and have your biggest meal at lunchtime. Not only will you save money, but you'll cut down on calories at the same time!
15. Take the time to enjoy your meal. Savor the flavors and textures of your food, and enjoy the company you're with. When you eat slowly, you give your body's internal clock the time it needs to know when you've had enough. When you're full, stop eating. Ask your server to remove your plate so you're not tempted to keep eating while you wait for your companion to finish.
16. Ask for salsa on your baked potatoes, rather than sour cream and butter. Not only is salsa much lower in calories, but it adds a "spicy" flavor to potatoes.
17. Order salad dressings and sauces "on the side." This gives you more control of how much to use. Another tip for salad dressing -- rather than pouring the salad dressing on your salad, dip your fork into the dressing first, and then into the salad. You'll get the same amount of flavor, without all the added calories!
18. Choose brown rice over white rice (or french fries), whole grain breads and rolls over white. Not only are they lower in calories, but they are better for you.
19. Stay away from "all you can eat" buffets and salad bars. It's too easy to lose track of the amount of food you're eating, even when it's salads. If that's your only choice, then stay away from the pasta, marinated salads, cheeses and fruit salads with whipped cream. Stick to soups, raw vegetables and fresh fruits.
20. Have your soup first. It will help to fill you up, and most soups have fewer calories.
21. If you're craving something sweet, and don't want fresh fruit, choose sorbet. If you absolutely HAVE to have the chocolate sauce, use the same trick as you did with the salad dressing -- dip your fork into it first, then your dessert.
22. Split your dessert with your companion. You'll still feel like you got to be indulgent, and you'll only have to exercise half as long to burn off the extra calories!
23. When ordering sandwiches, order them with mustard only, rather than mayonnaise. Not only does mustard have almost no calories, but you won't miss the mayo!
24. If the portion you were served is large, only eat half of it. Take the other half home. Not only will you get two meals for the price of one, but you'll cut the calories in half as well!
25. Go for a walk after eating. Stroll along the beach, walk through a park, visit a zoo. You'll burn calories and get your exercise at the same time!
If you would like additional support and coaching along the way - I strongly suggest you take a peak at my online "member's only" site at http://www.fitnessgenerator.com/fitness-vip - as what we have for you therecan definitely help you make progress fast.
Can Water Really Help You Lose Weight?
I believe that water not only helps with weight loss, but is also one of the most important things to keep in mind when trying to lose weight. Here are just some of the reasons why everyone should be drinking at least eight glasses of water day.
4 Tips for Fast Fat Loss Part I
Fat Loss Tip #1) Train With WeightsWorking out with weights when trying to lose body fat has numerous important benefits. First, an intense weight training session burns calories during the actual workout.
No Fuss Weight-Loss
To lose weight and keep it off you need an easy to follow no fuss plan. You need a plan that is simple and sensible.
Are You Stuck Losing Weight?
Don't get discouraged. I, too, have found myself in this predicament in the past.
How Green Tea Can Help You To Lose Weight
Green tea has been highly valued in Asia for centuries for it's medical properties. In the recent years green tea benefits caught the attention of western scientists.
What Obesity Debate?
This is a perfect example of how on-line weight loss "experts" can confuse and harm the American consumer..
Is Diet Confusion Stopping You From Losing Weight?
Diet advice - a million "experts", hundreds of snake-oil miracle pills, and an infinite number of human bodies make losing weight the subject of controversy and confusion.The diet program that worked miracles for your best friend does nothing for you.
Diet Pills And Safe Weight Loss: A Quick Guide To Diet Pills
Serious diet pills are intended for people who are overweight to the point of being considered obese. Therefore, they are known as anti-obesity drugs; and should not be used for quick, temporary weight loss.
Top 5 Weight Loss Strategies From A Top Level Personal Trainer
You are ready to shed those energy draining, body crippling, unattractive extra pounds and you are ready to make it permanent this time. You are on the right track because you've taken the most important step toward your goal.
Your Eight Hormones and Weight Loss
If you find this article helpful, please forward it to friends and relatives. There are many physical, mental, and physiological benefits to regular exercise.
Tips For Cooking Low Carb
If you are committed to the low carb way of eating, but also craving some of your old comfort foods you may still be able to satisfy those cravings with a little bit of creative substitution. Some of the foods that you used to know and love, have a low carb alternative available - the taste might be a little bit different but you will soon get used to that and be well on your way to happier and healthier eating!Here's some tips you can use to make your low carb cooking easier and tastier:1.
Doubts About Gastric Bypass? One Womans Final Effort to Lose Weight Without Surgery
One may think that on a website called "LivingAfterWLS" you would never read about conventional dieting: losing weight the old fashioned way by eating less and exercising more. One would think WLS proponents would say, "It can't be done.
Vinegar and Weight Loss
The Sour Truth -------------------------- Question: I had a baby 6 months ago and would like to lose some weight. I know that if you're nursing, you're not supposed to diet.
An Incredible New Weight Loss Product - Your Brain!
I would like to introduce you to an incredible new weight loss product: Your brain? I discovered this technique for weight loss many, many years ago from a great New Thought teacher. When I posted it on a business forum last year, a member publicly thanked me for her weight loss a short time later.
Lose the Weight for GOOD - Nothing to Lose or EVERYTHING to Lose?
Some of you will not like what I'm going to say, even though it is the truth. That may be where the issue of America's health problems lies.
Half of our Nation is Overweight!
Experts say obesity will overtake smoking as the biggest health problem of the decade. They are predicting a quarter of the population will be suffering from weight related diabetes by 2013.
Lose Fats - Gain Confidence when You Lose Weight
"How do I lose 5 kg or 30 kg?""How do I gain some muscles and tone up sexily?"It is simple. Yes, you heard it right, it is simple.
Breaking Research: Whats a Dieter To Do?
Every day, it seems, a new study pertaining to weight loss or nutrition is released to the public. These studies tout the latest and greatest trends, products or discoveries and then a willing public jumps on the bandwagon expecting mighty results.
Throw Out the Scale
Do you know someone that is obsessed with the scale? Someone who hops on the scale morning, noon and night? And stepping off each time with feelings of frustration or disappointment? With obesity on the rise and weight loss a common household topic, its easy to become obsessed with weight, diets and the scale. This multi-billion dollar industry brings about constant marketing and advertisement on the next solution or quick fix that hits sixty five percent of American's weight issues.
Fat Does Not Make You Fat
Fat does Not Make You Fat. One of the other huge myths is that fat makes you fat.
home | site map
All articles are copyright to their owners.
Note: this website lists articles, We do not Write Articles !